Same surname marriage

Guest ms19

I think you need to check both your backgrounds in India. Are you from the same village or is his village close to your village? Same surnames matter when considering marriage if they are from the same village or close by because this means that you share a common ancestor some 10-20 generations ago. The further away both your villages are then the easier it would be for your marriage to be accepted.

It also depends on how both sets of parents feel about the same surname marriage. On top of this it is customary for you parents and his parents if they agree to it to then ask their respective extended family members for their views and agreement.

If questioner would be living in INDIA and having same surname it is INVITATION TO TROUBLE basically in jatts. But sometime u have same surname and different "GHOTAR" this is really to be checked. People are very fundamentalistic in this issue. If she is any other place of the world look around to ur community and then speak to ur family.

agree......and thats sure.....in Jatts...........same surname are considered as brother sisters...............

• 2 months later...

Yes its a big trouble for u..

As far as i have heard of it. Parents simply say no to such situation.

Same surname people r considered to be brother sisters in our religion.

The only option left when,

Things can b sorted out is if your parents agree on it. And aslo ofcourse his parents also dont mind it. U will have to take stand to convince them. N also u will have to go through strong diagreement from ur parents side.

They wud probably say things which wud break u down.

Bt if u can go through all and still can stand for ur love. I think it may somewhere can help u. Coz at the end when no option wud b left wid ur parents watching u wanting him soo badly they will think of ur happiness. Best luck.

I think you need to check both your backgrounds in India. Are you from the same village or is his village close to your village? Same surnames matter when considering marriage if they are from the same village or close by because this means that you share a common ancestor some 10-20 generations ago. The further away both your villages are then the easier it would be for your marriage to be accepted.

It doesnt make it any different it one family was from the sun , and the other the moon. It still against the culture of Panjab, and jatts especially. Even Khatris avoid same ghotra marriage.

At the beginning of the relationship I thought it would be pretty cool to have the same surnames but I am now starting to realise that this could possibly be going against our religion.

why did you think it was cool? So you wouldnt have to change the initials on your tracksuit or keyring or something?

Sikhi is silent on this but this is a cultural matter. And please try not to use religion for your own personal issues.

• 2 months later...

lol its not incest unless they are closely related but find out your bf's pind and you should be able after asking your dad a few questions to know if you are a)from the same pind, b) from a nearby pind c)a totally distant pind

Only option C helps as the rest will probably lead to a no from your parents

on a side note its lovely to see young sikhs really in tune with their parents, 6 years of dating and now they start to think :)

(p.s sometimes you can allow a girl to get away with this lack of thinking as her last name would change anyway, but what kinda bf do you have that didnt question it? #coconut)

Where I'm from, that's incest. Keep it four gotras away, and you're good.

I'd probably even avoid marrying in Dosanjh, Malhi, Dhillon, and Dhindsa since I know we have a common origin from Chittorgarh from pretty recently.

That's just me, I been through all that love stuff but the love for the quom, the panth, and the guru is greater.

When you can choose what girl you marry why choose one you're related to? :S