Waja and Tabla

Gurpreet14

Ok, so now you sound confused. Youwant to do kirtan in a proper manner, but what exactly is the proper manner? The Example set by the Gurus ? or the example set by our Kirtanis in the last 40 or 50 years? Firstly, people think that classical kirtan is the same as raag kirtan or gurmat sangeet. It is not. Gurmat sangeet can be wonderfully simple(as i do it) or as some of my more advanced co-learners, more classical-minded. open any book that teaches Gurmat Sangeet, and you will see that the notations are simple, and it is upto YOU to develop them further. You have the opportunity to take it to the level you personally desire.Liking heavy beats, im not too sure about this, because this moves over into the bhangra, rap, rock style, which is designed to make your body react, rather than your mind.Gurus chose certain raags, rejected other raags and created some of their own. Guru knows best. I dont. Thats why im a Sikh. Dont make the mistake of denigrating raags or the parnali of Gurmat Sangeet, as our Guru s created this, and if it there was any shortcoming in it, then we are making our Guru s out not to be perfect.What if we took your example and applied it to kes?

Hey what do u mean by last line of ur post dear?

In proper manner means I wanna do it professionaly

When I was teenagers I use to learn kirtan from Gurdwara...like summer vacation ch

On sundays children were given tym to do kirtan in Gurudwara.

Now its a simple thing....I dont like slow kirtan like aaaaaaaaaaaaa wala...long nodes/notes we say.....

I like The way Raagi Ravinder Singh g does the kirtan.

I know nothing about how over Gurus use to do kirtan.

Its a simple thing I wanna ask u people-How to learn to do kirtan fastn in proper manner as I m working also...

The aaaaaaaaaa wala kirtan is the best kirtan, i love it. they are doing it in surr. Penji do some research on how the Gurus used to do kirtan, thats only way u will know how it was done. The instruments used are on a different level to harmonium and tabla.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Kirtan

http://www.gurmatsangeet.org/

http://sikhism.about.com/od/gurugranthsahib/f/What-Is-The-Significance-Of-Raag-In-Gurbani.htm

sorry this is all i could find, maybe somebody else can help further.

Hey what do u mean by last line of ur post dear?

In proper manner means I wanna do it professionaly

Now its a simple thing....I dont like slow kirtan like aaaaaaaaaaaaa wala...long nodes/notes we say.....

I know nothing about how over Gurus use to do kirtan.

Its a simple thing I wanna ask u people-How to learn to do kirtan fastn in proper manner as I m working also...

ok, from reading above, your first call is to educate yourself about Gurmat Sangeet. This will help you immensely as Kirtan Parnali in Sikhi is very rich and spiritual and passionate. it is not part of a get-rich-quick scheme, where you can learn for a year and then sit back. It is an art form, one which takes years to learn if you want to do it professionally.

now this aaaaaaa thing, is not an essential part for a beginner, people who are more accomplished and comfortable with raags usually do as an expression of their soul in singing that shabad and raag.

Now the comparison i used about Kes, was that it is the Guru's order that a Sikh must maintain his/her kes, but what if a Sikh said, i dont like it like that, i want to have my hair in this style, or mohican or dreads or whatever. Then we would be like, hey!bra! wagwaan wida look? then him say, i dont like that way, i want to do it my way...

Basically it comes down to the perfect Guru giving us the perfect wisdom. You want to challenge or ignore your Guru's wisdom by saying you have a better way?

ok, from reading above, your first call is to educate yourself about Gurmat Sangeet. This will help you immensely as Kirtan Parnali in Sikhi is very rich and spiritual and passionate. it is not part of a get-rich-quick scheme, where you can learn for a year and then sit back. It is an art form, one which takes years to learn if you want to do it professionally.now this aaaaaaa thing, is not an essential part for a beginner, people who are more accomplished and comfortable with raags usually do as an expression of their soul in singing that shabad and raag.Now the comparison i used about Kes, was that it is the Guru's order that a Sikh must maintain his/her kes, but what if a Sikh said, i dont like it like that, i want to have my hair in this style, or mohican or dreads or whatever. Then we would be like, hey!bra! wagwaan wida look? then him say, i dont like that way, i want to do it my way...Basically it comes down to the perfect Guru giving us the perfect wisdom. You want to challenge or ignore your Guru's wisdom by saying you have a better way?

Thanks ya.... :) got ur point

Waise I must say-Majority of sikhs is not following Gurus way...if we talk about kesh then many dont like Gurus wAy.....

If it will take years to learn Gurus way of doing kirtan then let Guru himself find some ways for me to make it short :)

Baba g plz now u guide me what to do :(

If it will take years to learn Gurus way of doing kirtan then let Guru himself find some ways for me to make it short :)

That is according to your karam. Every Sikh wants to achieve Braham Gian, but you have to work for it. If we said, it will take years to become naam-abhiyasi, and let Guru Ji find another way for me to make it short..." then people will laugh at us and think," what a nutcase..."

There is no shortcut.

I will argue that it doesn't take long to learn the harmonium - that's one of its few benefits - it's very easy to pick up and learn. I was taught the notes (sa-re-ga-ma-pa-da-ni-sa, I think) and then we were taught a basic raag to learn and repeat. Then we learnt to sing a shabad to the raag. Took me maybe six hours of teaching and countless hours of practice.

Once you learn the raags and how to set shabads to them, you can sing any shabad in the appropriate raag but it is all practice. Just like learning how to fight doesn't take merely hours, performing kirtan properly takes time.

There is no shame in using the harmonium and there have been many mahapurshes who have used them. The important bit is singing the shabad. I have found it more fruitful than simran for the same duration or simply reciting the shabad as bani.

I will argue that it doesn't take long to learn the harmonium - that's one of its few benefits - it's very easy to pick up and learn. I was taught the notes (sa-re-ga-ma-pa-da-ni-sa, I think) and then we were taught a basic raag to learn and repeat. Then we learnt to sing a shabad to the raag. Took me maybe six hours of teaching and countless hours of practice. Once you learn the raags and how to set shabads to them, you can sing any shabad in the appropriate raag but it is all practice. Just like learning how to fight doesn't take merely hours, performing kirtan properly takes time. There is no shame in using the harmonium and there have been many mahapurshes who have used them. The important bit is singing the shabad. I have found it more fruitful than simran for the same duration or simply reciting the shabad as bani.

Thanks gotcha :)

Thanks ya.... :) got ur point

Waise I must say-Majority of sikhs is not following Gurus way...if we talk about kesh then many dont like Gurus wAy.....

Baba g plz now u guide me what to do :(

bhenji, don't listen to negative views here.. learn harmonium and praise akal pukark sahib ji... and there is no compulsion that one has to do kirtan only from traditional instruments . during times of guruji there was no harmonium..simple and my end words we need to praise nirankar and that can be done in any way in raag or without raag.........

jo prani gobind thaive,phariya unphraiya paramgat pave..

so the way isn't important but doing so is important...

also best of luck for getting trained

bhenji, don't listen to negative views here.. learn harmonium and praise akal pukark sahib ji... and there is no compulsion that one has to do kirtan only from traditional instruments . during times of guruji there was no harmonium..simple and my end words we need to praise nirankar and that can be done in any way in raag or without raag.........jo prani gobind thaive,phariya unphraiya paramgat pave..so the way isn't important but doing so is important...also best of luck for getting trained

Thanks dear :)

Yup I had a word with one aunty....she stays near my home....she does awsm kirtan

She said she will teach me from sa re ga ma pa... Basically harmonium...

She said if u want to learn only to do kirtan then u dont need to learn whole classical music

Just understand basics n thats it...she even added that once u will be familiar with instrument u will be able to compose by ur own

From monday I m going to her to learn...... :)

bhenji, don't listen to negative views here.. learn harmonium and praise akal pukark sahib ji... and there is no compulsion that one has to do kirtan only from traditional instruments . during times of guruji there was no harmonium..simple and my end words we need to praise nirankar and that can be done in any way in raag or without raag.........

Kirtan means to sing praises. you can do kirtan with a couple of spoons with your finger between, and sing tap them against your thigh and sing gurbani. you dont need a vaja for that either, so gurdeep14, i know you dont have much spare time, so use follow this method, that way you wont have to bother with a vaja.

and forget that Guru Ji in his supreme wisdom wrote Gurbani according to raags, because jasdeep bhaji knows better.

heres something to help you. its only 1.33 mins cos i know you have little spare time. Have fun!