Waja and Tabla

Gurpreet14

Hello g,

I want to learn doing kirtan.....means wanna learn harmoniun and tabla

I use to do kirtan rarely 2-3 years back....

I know some shabads but I dont have hold on them

Now I want to learn to do kirtan in proper manner

Yesterday I went to take a class on these instruments but.... :(

It was like I need to learn music from A b c...:(

I dont have tym to learn from scratch.... Its like I hate classical music...yakkg

Now what to do...if I want to learn doing kirtan so that I don't forget to do it if by chance for a long period of time I will b out of practice....

I would say forget about learning waja, it's not a traditional indian instrument and definitely not a traditional puratan instrument used in Gurmat Sangeet or Kirtan.

The Waja (European harmonium) is a ferenghi instrument introduced by the British and enforced by them to ,make Kirtan sound more like christian church music.

This instrument did not exist in the courts of the Guru's .. Use your time to learn traditional Raag Vidiya from a qualifid teacher using puratan instruments only then will we retain our heritage and traditions.

Ur welcome penji, yeah try learning raags, as that's how kirtan was first done, as Cisco Singh says. Classical music is the best, even singers learn raags first and know their classical side, and that's wat the professional ones learn first the raags on harmonium. Any kirtan you feel comfortable with that praises God should be ok. Some good ragis use harmonium and still sing in raags and still sound gud. Sorry b dnt know much about raags but like listening to them. There is a previous post on here that you can search for.

How can you hate classical music when the raags used in old-school Gurbani have their roots in the classic raag system? It's like an artist neglecting to study form and anatomy and then wishes to start drawing superheroes from the off. :giggle: You'd be a convincing performer if you knew the theory behind the practice. Otherwise you'd be the equivalent of karaoke singer belting out tunes without really knowing the science behind it. There's many of those around. Don't go for the quick-fix, instead put some graft in. It'll be a lot more rewarding. Ultimately it's your choice of course.

The world is changing...n people are saying to go slow

Yes today's child can draw superheroes without learning how to :p because of the intelligence that is growing day by day

I hate classical that's true...how can I luv something which is rejected by my body n mind sensors :p

I luv heavy beats :)

Nevermind sometimes shortcuts are good.. :) if learning the music from scratch was the only way I need to move then w

I would not have posted here for advices.. Kaljugi :) but I wil find some ways to do so...kirtan te karna yaar...letz c

world continues, time passes and youth get more impatient and retarded. We have internet, email tv for kids to learn. can you imagine how newton, einstein, galleleo etc learnt before the internet? they used books, educated discussion with colleagues and above all concetration and thought. If you want a superficial tick-box exercise then learn the instruments for purpose of singing If you want appreciation,understanding and respect for shabad then learn the old fashioned way

I appreciate the way u replied...surely Will think again on this...coz I never thought that it can be matter of respect for shabads

I want to learn doing kirtan.....means wanna learn harmoniun and tabla

Now I want to learn to do kirtan in proper manner

Ok, so now you sound confused. Youwant to do kirtan in a proper manner, but what exactly is the proper manner? The Example set by the Gurus ? or the example set by our Kirtanis in the last 40 or 50 years?

The world is changing...n people are saying to go slow

I hate classical that's true...how can I luv something which is rejected by my body n mind sensors :p

I luv heavy beats :)

Firstly, people think that classical kirtan is the same as raag kirtan or gurmat sangeet. It is not. Gurmat sangeet can be wonderfully simple(as i do it) or as some of my more advanced co-learners, more classical-minded. open any book that teaches Gurmat Sangeet, and you will see that the notations are simple, and it is upto YOU to develop them further. You have the opportunity to take it to the level you personally desire.

Liking heavy beats, im not too sure about this, because this moves over into the bhangra, rap, rock style, which is designed to make your body react, rather than your mind.

Gurus chose certain raags, rejected other raags and created some of their own. Guru knows best. I dont. Thats why im a Sikh. Dont make the mistake of denigrating raags or the parnali of Gurmat Sangeet, as our Guru s created this, and if it there was any shortcoming in it, then we are making our Guru s out not to be perfect.

What if we took your example and applied it to kes?