Learning The Vajja At Home!

Meant to type Saranda ended up typing Sarangi ...go figure anyways Guru ji de ditte hoe Saaz jaroor sikhna chahida and pass the knowledge down seena baseena

Just out of curiosity, but if a person knows how to play Sarangi can they also play Saranda? they look and sound very similar

Just out of curiosity, but if a person knows how to play Sarangi can they also play Saranda? they look and sound very similar

I talked to Surjit Singh of Raj academy as I bought via his organisation shop ...he said that once you learn Dilruba Saranda is easy to pick up because you have practised on a fretboard so have the note distances and finger techniques down I'm not as familiar with sarangi but I think it also has a fretboard... so in theory I feel judging by Singh ji's advice it would be a possible thing.

I talked to Surjit Singh of Raj academy as I bought via his organisation shop ...he said that once you learn Dilruba Saranda is easy to pick up because you have practised on a fretboard so have the note distances and finger techniques down I'm not as familiar with sarangi but I think it also has a fretboard... so in theory I feel judging by Singh ji's advice it would be a possible thing.

Saranda and sarangi are played exactly the same, the difference being the shape of the bottom of the instrument, sarangi is rectangle, whereas saranda is round, which gives the two instruments different tones. otherwise the strings and their layout is exactly the same.

The higher notes on the saranda are also slighter more awkward for hand position because of the soundboard.

Neither instruments have fretboards.

Saranda and sarangi are played exactly the same, the difference being the shape of the bottom of the instrument, sarangi is rectangle, whereas saranda is round, which gives the two instruments different tones. otherwise the strings and their layout is exactly the same.

The higher notes on the saranda are also slighter more awkward for hand position because of the soundboard.

Neither instruments have fretboards.

Then I guess the answer is even more simple ...yes :biggrin2:

You should pick up one of the instruments that guru sahib blessed us with, whether it be the rabab that guru nanak dev ji got specially made by bhai firanda and sang with while travelling the world, or the saranda which guru arjun dev ji created himself and did kirtan with, or the jori, not tabla (jori is much more different, tabla is a newer invention), which was created by bhai satta bhai balwand in guru arjun dev jis darbar, or the sarangi which was brought in by guru hargobind ji, or the taus and dilruba which were created by guru gobind singh ji. all the guru's did kirtan with these instruments.

for the topic that where does it say that we cannot play the vaaja, well there thousands of instruments in india why were they not chosen, and why did the gurus go through the trouble of making special instruments to do kirtan with.

if an english doctor could come to look at guru gobind singh ji at nanded when he was stabbed, why could a piano or something not also arrive. guru nanak dev ji travelled to rome, why did he not choose a piano or violin to play. The gurus had the choices but they chose and made these instruments.

and raag kirtan is NOT HARD. when you laugh or cry, that is raag. raag is an emotion, something you cant describe.

gurbani is written in raag as it should be sung conveying that emotion. that is how the gurus wanted us to feel and connect. or else the gurus could have done it any other way. raag kirtan is so easy

and lastly it is hukam. if it says asa mahalla 1, then who says you can sing it any other way? right?

bhul chuk lai khima, sangat bakhshan jog hai, bakhsh laina, daas de bas 2 cent ne aa

thanks