Sign in to follow this  
hsingh8963

Combating Kaam Krodh Lobh Moh Ahankar

Thought it would be nice to start a thread where we share tips and practices that we use to combat the 5 thieves. Obviously gurbani and rehit are going to help, but what are some other extra techniques you guys use? For me whenever I come under attack I became mool mantar jaap or simran until it goes away. What do ya do? :)

• Like 3

awwww brilliant thread!

I usually try putting some kirtan on, like when I'm sad I put on calming kirtan where I am reminded that at the end its just going to be me and Guru ji and when i'm angry I put on some AKJ kirtan on to get all those emotions out of me lol or like you said doing abit of waheguru waheguru usually helps when your angry!

But the best thing for me to do when i'm attacked my any of these 5 thieves is just to simple take a breathe a think back to where I was before and where sikhi has brought me now!

automatically I feel love, peace and happiness!

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੈ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹਿ ਡੁਬਦਾ ਲਇਆ ਕਢਾਇ ॥੪॥੩॥੭੩॥
O Nanak, the True King has pulled me out and saved me from drowning! ||4||3||73||

Dhan Waheguru ji <3

• Like 3

ਹੇ ਅਜਿਤ ਸੂਰ ਸੰਗ੍ਰਾਮੰ ਅਤਿ ਬਲਨਾ ਬਹੁ ਮਰਦਨਹ ॥ O emotional attachment, you are the invincible warrior of the battlefield of life; you totally crush and destroy even the most powerful.

ਗਣ ਗੰਧਰਬ ਦੇਵ ਮਾਨੁਖ੍ਯ੍ਯੰ ਪਸੁ ਪੰਖੀ ਬਿਮੋਹਨਹ ॥ You entice and fascinate even the heavenly heralds, celestial singers, gods, mortals, beasts and birds.

ਹਰਿ ਕਰਣਹਾਰੰ ਨਮਸਕਾਰੰ ਸਰਣਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਗਦੀਸ੍ਵਰਹ ॥੪੫॥ Nanak bows in humble surrender to the Lord; he seeks the Sanctuary of the Lord of the Universe. ||45||

ਹੇ ਕਾਮੰ ਨਰਕ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮੰ ਬਹੁ ਜੋਨੀ ਭ੍ਰਮਾਵਣਹ ॥ O sexual desire, you lead the mortals to hell; you make them wander in reincarnation through countless species.

ਚਿਤ ਹਰਣੰ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਲੋਕ ਗੰਮ੍ਯ੍ਯੰ ਜਪ ਤਪ ਸੀਲ ਬਿਦਾਰਣਹ ॥ You cheat the consciousness, and pervade the three worlds. You destroy meditation, penance and virtue.

ਅਲਪ ਸੁਖ ਅਵਿਤ ਚੰਚਲ ਊਚ ਨੀਚ ਸਮਾਵਣਹ ॥ But you give only shallow pleasure, while you make the mortals weak and unsteady; you pervade the high and the low.

ਤਵ ਭੈ ਬਿਮੁੰਚਿਤ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਮ ਓਟ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਰਾਇਣਹ ॥੪੬॥ Your fear is dispelled in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, O Nanak, through the Protection and Support of the Lord. ||46||

ਹੇ ਕਲਿ ਮੂਲ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੰ ਕਦੰਚ ਕਰੁਣਾ ਨ ਉਪਰਜਤੇ ॥ O anger, you are the root of conflict; compassion never rises up in you.

ਬਿਖਯੰਤ ਜੀਵੰ ਵਸ੍ਯ੍ਯੰ ਕਰੋਤਿ ਨਿਰਤ੍ਯ੍ਯੰ ਕਰੋਤਿ ਜਥਾ ਮਰਕਟਹ ॥ You take the corrupt, sinful beings in your power, and make them dance like monkeys.

ਅਨਿਕ ਸਾਸਨ ਤਾੜੰਤਿ ਜਮਦੂਤਹ ਤਵ ਸੰਗੇ ਅਧਮੰ ਨਰਹ ॥ Associating with you, mortals are debased and punished by the Messenger of Death in so many ways.

ਦੀਨ ਦੁਖ ਭੰਜਨ ਦਯਾਲ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਬ ਜੀਅ ਰਖ੍ਯ੍ਯਾ ਕਰੋਤਿ ॥੪੭॥ O Destroyer of the pains of the poor, O Merciful God, Nanak prays for You to protect all beings from such anger. ||47||

ਹੇ ਲੋਭਾ ਲੰਪਟ ਸੰਗ ਸਿਰਮੋਰਹ ਅਨਿਕ ਲਹਰੀ ਕਲੋਲਤੇ ॥ O greed, you cling to even the great, assaulting them with countless waves.

ਧਾਵੰਤ ਜੀਆ ਬਹੁ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰੰ ਅਨਿਕ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਬਹੁ ਡੋਲਤੇ ॥ You cause them to run around wildly in all directions, wobbling and wavering unsteadily.

ਨਚ ਮਿਤ੍ਰੰ ਨਚ ਇਸਟੰ ਨਚ ਬਾਧਵ ਨਚ ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਤਵ ਲਜਯਾ ॥ You have no respect for friends, ideals, relations, mother or father.

ਅਕਰਣੰ ਕਰੋਤਿ ਅਖਾਦ੍ਯ੍ਯਿ ਖਾਦ੍ਯ੍ਯੰ ਅਸਾਜ੍ਯ੍ਯੰ ਸਾਜਿ ਸਮਜਯਾ ॥ You make them do what they should not do. You make them eat what they should not eat. You make them accomplish what they should not accomplish.

ਤ੍ਰਾਹਿ ਤ੍ਰਾਹਿ ਸਰਣਿ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਬਿਗ੍ਯ੍ਯਾਪ੍ਤਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਨਰਹਰਹ ॥੪੮॥ Save me, save me - I have come to Your Sanctuary, O my Lord and Master; Nanak prays to the Lord. ||48||

ਹੇ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਮੂਲੰ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੰ ਪਾਪਾਤਮਾ ॥ O egotism, you are the root of birth and death and the cycle of reincarnation; you are the very soul of sin.

ਮਿਤ੍ਰੰ ਤਜੰਤਿ ਸਤ੍ਰੰ ਦ੍ਰਿੜੰਤਿ ਅਨਿਕ ਮਾਯਾ ਬਿਸ੍ਤੀਰਨਹ ॥ You forsake friends, and hold tight to enemies. You spread out countless illusions of Maya.

ਆਵੰਤ ਜਾਵੰਤ ਥਕੰਤ ਜੀਆ ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਬਹੁ ਭੋਗਣਹ ॥ You cause the living beings to come and go until they are exhausted. You lead them to experience pain and pleasure.

ਭ੍ਰਮ ਭਯਾਨ ਉਦਿਆਨ ਰਮਣੰ ਮਹਾ ਬਿਕਟ ਅਸਾਧ ਰੋਗਣਹ ॥ You lead them to wander lost in the terrible wilderness of doubt; you lead them to contract the most horrible, incurable diseases.

ਬੈਦ੍ਯ੍ਯੰ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਪਰਮੇਸ੍ਵਰ ਆਰਾਧਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ॥੪੯॥ The only Physician is the Supreme Lord, the Transcendent Lord God. Nanak worships and adores the Lord, Har, Har, Haray. ||49||

• Like 3

Also I noticed when im feeling down I go ahead and play Dasam Granth Bani... Feels like your jumping on clouds lol....

Specifically

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EGuFwMs4718

Ive also heard that adding Chandi di Vaar to nitnem works wonders... Chandi di Vaar followed by anand sahib burns that internal fire while keeping you calm..! Gonna try it tomorrow.

Ive also heard that adding Chandi di Vaar to nitnem works wonders... Chandi di Vaar followed by anand sahib burns that internal fire while keeping you calm..! Gonna try it tomorrow.

• Like 2

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

Aasaa Mehalaa 5 ||

आसा महला ५ ॥

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

1 ਪੰ. ੯

ਚਾਰਿ ਬਰਨ ਚਉਹਾ ਕੇ ਮਰਦਨ ਖਟੁ ਦਰਸਨ ਕਰ ਤਲੀ ਰੇ ॥

Chaar Baran Chouhaa Kae Maradhan Khatt Dharasan Kar Thalee Rae ||

चारि बरन चउहा के मरदन खटु दरसन कर तली रे ॥

The four castes and social classes, and the preachers with the six Shaastras on their finger-tips,

2 ਆਸਾ (ਮ: ੫) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੪੦੪ ਪੰ. ੯

Raag Asa Guru Arjan Dev Page:404 Line: 9

ਸੁੰਦਰ ਸੁਘਰ ਸਰੂਪ ਸਿਆਨੇ ਪੰਚਹੁ ਹੀ ਮੋਹਿ ਛਲੀ ਰੇ ॥੧॥

Sundhar Sughar Saroop Siaanae Panchahu Hee Mohi Shhalee Rae ||1||

सुंदर सुघर सरूप सिआने पंचहु ही मोहि छली रे ॥१॥

The beautiful, the refined, the shapely and the wise - the five passions have enticed and beguiled them all. ||1||

3 ਆਸਾ (ਮ: ੫) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੪੦੪ ਪੰ. ੯

Raag Asa Guru Arjan Dev Page:404 Line: 9

ਜਿਨਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਮਾਰੇ ਪੰਚ ਸੂਰਬੀਰ ਐਸੋ ਕਉਨੁ ਬਲੀ ਰੇ ॥

Jin Mil Maarae Panch Soorabeer Aiso Koun Balee Rae ||

जिनि मिलि मारे पंच सूरबीर ऐसो कउनु बली रे ॥

Who has seized and conquered the five powerful fighters? Is there anyone strong enough?

4 ਆਸਾ (ਮ: ੫) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੪੦੪ ਪੰ. ੧੦

Raag Asa Guru Arjan Dev Page:404 Line: 10

ਜਿਨਿ ਪੰਚ ਮਾਰਿ ਬਿਦਾਰਿ ਗੁਦਾਰੇ ਸੋ ਪੂਰਾ ਇਹ ਕਲੀ ਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Jin Panch Maar Bidhaar Gudhaarae So Pooraa Eih Kalee Rae ||1|| Rehaao ||

जिनि पंच मारि बिदारि गुदारे सो पूरा इह कली रे ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥

He alone, who conquers and defeats the five demons, is perfect in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga. ||1||Pause||

5 ਆਸਾ (ਮ: ੫) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੪੦੪ ਪੰ. ੧੧

Raag Asa Guru Arjan Dev Page:404 Line: 11

ਵਡੀ ਕੋਮ ਵਸਿ ਭਾਗਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਮੁਹਕਮ ਫਉਜ ਹਠਲੀ ਰੇ ॥

Vaddee Kom Vas Bhaagehi Naahee Muhakam Fouj Hathalee Rae ||

वडी कोम वसि भागहि नाही मुहकम फउज हठली रे ॥

They are so awesome and great; they cannot be controlled, and they do not run away. Their army is mighty and unyielding.

6 ਆਸਾ (ਮ: ੫) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੪੦੪ ਪੰ. ੧੧

Raag Asa Guru Arjan Dev Page:404 Line: 11

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਨਿ ਜਨਿ ਨਿਰਦਲਿਆ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਕੈ ਝਲੀ ਰੇ ॥੨॥੩॥੧੩੨॥

Kahu Naanak Thin Jan Niradhaliaa Saadhhasangath Kai Jhalee Rae ||2||3||132||

कहु नानक तिनि जनि निरदलिआ साधसंगति कै झली रे ॥२॥३॥१३२॥

Says Nanak, that humble being who is under the protection of the Saadh Sangat, crushes those terrible demons. ||2||3||132||

7 ਆਸਾ (ਮ: ੫) ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੪੦੪ ਪੰ. ੧੨

Raag Asa Guru Arjan Dev Page:404 Line: 12

Source - http://searchgurbani.com/scriptures/ggs_shabad/1566/line/5

• Like 1

You don't, because this isn't your battle, your battle is getting up early in the morning and Jaap Naam, which is a difficult battle, I have fallen my share of times, just don't lose your's. If you do try fighting this battle, and for some reason you win the battle,(this is war), then you will get Haumai that "I" beat the panj chore, and you fall back again. Bhai Joga Singh had Haumai before Kaam. In this battle you can wear the Kakkars, but at the end of the day, Guru Sahib will take them Down for you, if you do what he yes you.

I feel it is a internal battle... Of the mind... But we all know you cant get anywhere know matter how strong you are without Guru jis kirpa.

First

Thought it would be nice to start a thread where we share tips and practices that we use to combat the 5 thieves. Obviously gurbani and rehit are going to help, but what are some other extra techniques you guys use? For me whenever I come under attack I became mool mantar jaap or simran until it goes away. What do ya do? :)

Its quite simple to do this when we are aware what should be avoided. Because just having being on one of the thieves will lead us onto the other ones like a domino affect.

First we must get rid of our addictions. we are all addicted to something weather it be alcohol, video games, muslc, drugs ectt.

once we are rid of our addictions then it is easier to combat the five theives as our mind is clear and free of all intoxicating substances we are then sober to make the right decision in lif and avoid doing the wrong things in life and doing what is right.

• Like 3

I'm firmly of the opinion that we can only try to protect ourselves, when kirpa and taras is bestowed we become close and at other times we fall into the trap of 'vin danta jag kaiyaa' (maya). Max benefit can be achieved through sangat of people on a higher plane and avoiding attractions that cause us to slip in the first place - harder said than done. As soon as we step out of Anand filled Gurdwara katha and kirtan programme it does not take long for the chors to trap us, and the higher the avastha the larger the personal fall even with the tiniest lapse/dhill. When we have respite, one should try and maximise this time for simran, kirtan and paat. Kirtan can be sung without instruments for those who have not learnt.

• Like 1

The thing is, as per Bani, these demons, in one way or other, they attack alone or jointly time after time, mostly unexpectedly.

There is no such weapon, nothing in this whole world to defeat them....

If there is anything at all, that is Naam or Shabad.

Why?

Because Shabad or Naam, is a power beyond the realms where maya spreads her tentacles through them on our souls and minds, thus keeping the souls entangled in the web of karmas, and not allowing them to get out of the wheel of eighty four.

Moreover, the power of Shabad, is the power of the Creator Wahiguru, and is thus the only Power to defeat these theives, as well as thieir parents: Maya and Kal .

So if any time I get attacked by any of these dacoits, I just remind myself that, hey guy, you are still green, you ought to do more bhakti, with more zeal and more efforts.... and at the same time, do Ardas to Wahiguru, to bless me with His Grace and make me strong enough, to defeat these vikars or evil tendencies....so that I may be able to please Him and merge in Him.

Sat Sree Akal.

• Like 3