Being A Rich Sikh

Guest Sikh

It's ok - the 10th Guru used to dress well. There is a famous sakhi of him and a pandit who accuses the 10th Guru of not being religious for dressing like a King rather than in simple clothes like other holy men of that time. The 10th Guru replied that it is a new era and the holy people need to be integrated in society. So aslong as you are integrated and not carried away with it then that's fine. Personally I am a Sikh girl and in the top earners of the country. This also means I am on the highes tax rate where half my salary goes away as tax (sigh).

Now the other day I had the same thought as you, I spent £1000 at Westfield on one Prada item. I felt a bad afterwards and thought maybe I should have given it away to some poor person but all my colleagues who earn the same as me regularly do big spends, so it kinda cancels it self out. Also I figured I work so hard that I deserved it and we don't have to give all we earn away. We give 10% away which means that we are allowed to keep 90% and do whatever we want with it.

You're right- but the wise dont live their karams- they realise theres more and that there is shedloads of work to be done here on earth teaching people out of maya. And also for Satyug to come.

But there Will be a time where wealthy Sikhs will be called upon to help with a higher purpose. If I make what I probably need to, I've already vowed that I'm dedicating it all to the purpose. It's no coincidence that Sikhs are so successful in countries like England, America, Cananda etc.

We do work for wealth but at the same time- it is God given and blessed to us- the conditions are placed so that we are able to have great opportunities and prospects.

He could send war and destruction in our direction any second and could take away our wealth at any moment but he doesn't.

It's ok - the 10th Guru used to dress well. There is a famous sakhi of him and a pandit who accuses the 10th Guru of not being religious for dressing like a King rather than in simple clothes like other holy men of that time. The 10th Guru replied that it is a new era and the holy people need to be integrated in society. So aslong as you are integrated and not carried away with it then that's fine. Personally I am a Sikh girl and in the top earners of the country. This also means I am on the highes tax rate where half my salary goes away as tax (sigh).

Now the other day I had the same thought as you, I spent £1000 at Westfield on one Prada item. I felt a bad afterwards and thought maybe I should have given it away to some poor person but all my colleagues who earn the same as me regularly do big spends, so it kinda cancels it self out. Also I figured I work so hard that I deserved it and we don't have to give all we earn away. We give 10% away which means that we are allowed to keep 90% and do whatever we want with it.

Those who like the nicer things in life and spend 1000 pounds on items should ask themselves, Am I Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji? The Guru is the Guru and the Sikh. A Sikh is and always a Sikh and cannot become the Guru. Today a Sikh cannot even become a Sikh and they want to do act like the Guru? Once Upon a time there was supernatural being named Krishna. Krishna was sent to teach Akal Purakhs path and he got caught up in the world. Krishna was given many supernatural powers as well. He was suppose to only use them in Satgur Parsad kirpa, but he used them to hold his name as the only true God. At the end Krishna died in this world and lived happily as worms and insects ate his corpse. What does this story have to do with being rich. Krishna was rich, nothing could stop him, but Yama (death). Krishna did not earn anything, though he thought he did. What makes one person rich and another poor? No one earned to be given more intelligence than another or to be born in a rich house or to be born in a house where life comes easy. What have you earned? Nothing! In a split second Vaheguru can take the intelligence and money and wash it down the drain, so the Sikh can learn what it means to earn. In a split second he gives and takes and then gives again. Buy 20 000 pounds diamonds and throw them in the river. I know what your thinking, what a waste of money. Well someone brought Guru Gobind Sahib ji jewels and he throw them in the river running behind him. You want to dress like the Guru, so act like the Guru.

It is completely ridiculous to be spending 1000 dollars on purses, shirts, shoes, clothes, accessories and this cannot be justified in Sikhi. There is no justification to buy expensive items in Sikhi. 1000 pounds can pay for one Gurmat class being taught by one teacher back in india. If today Vaheguru gives all the world's money to the poor, we would get rid of world starvation and everyone would have a roof over their head.

But there Will be a time where wealthy Sikhs will be called upon to help with a higher purpose. If I make what I probably need to, I've already vowed that I'm dedicating it to the purpose.

Sant ji was right. Everyone is making the same excuse for their own shortcomings......some miracle from the sky will come down and that's when I will do a, b, and c. Everyone has to stop fooling themselves. Kalyug is only going to get stronger as time continues. People of the past were more giving and compassionate. They were poor and barely could make ends meet, but they were the most giving. They trusted Akal Purakh without any doubt and lived life happily. Today people look around the world and see only hell and try to rationalize why they can't give. Sikhs left their homeland to find a better life in a foreign land, but they were better off staying in India because these parents offspring have turned into the beast, who robbed them of their homeland peace and comfort.

Sant ji was right. Everyone is making the same excuse for their own shortcomings......some miracle from the sky will come down and that's when I will do a, b, and c. Everyone has to stop fooling themselves. Kalyug is only going to get stronger as time continues. People of the past were more giving and compassionate. They were poor and barely could make ends meet, but they were the most giving. They trusted Akal Purakh without any doubt and lived life happily. Today people look around the world and see only hell and try to rationalize why they can't give. Sikhs left their homeland to find a better life in a foreign land, but they were better off staying in India because these parents offspring have turned into the beast, who robbed them of their homeland peace and comfort.

Listen, I said there will be a time- and u are right, the Time is Always Now. But there will be another time- Guru gobind Singh Ji writes of it in Dasam granth ji and I take his word as Law.

I haven't made much money yet n I still give to the poor. The Rich sikhs have the same option. Youve educated them but cannot force them- ultimately the choice is theirs. But u can show sikhs by example- by practicing what u preach.

I wrote that Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave his man body n wealth to sikhi.

Gurbani Is so we become like the Gurus in realisation that We are the Lord and He is us- we are One. The entire Gurbani is teaching us to merge back into Truth/God.

Obviously the 10 Gurus were Beautiful and incredibly evolved, but real bhagats are of the same- the purity of the heart can reach perfection.

We take the way the Gurus chose to live their lives as an example. Giving up mind body and wealth to Him is key as they belong to Him already- not Us/Ego.

It is completely ridiculous to be spending 1000 dollars on purses, shirts, shoes, clothes, accessories and this cannot be justified in Sikhi. There is no justification to buy expensive items in Sikhi. 1000 pounds can pay for one Gurmat class being taught by one teacher back in india. If today Vaheguru gives all the world's money to the poor, we would get rid of world starvation and everyone would have a roof over their head.

I am not less of a sikh because I buy expensive items. Sikhs can and are allowed to dress good. I work very hard. Also I pay 45% tax so thats nearly half my salary i.e. for half the year I am working and earning no money as that income goes into the system to give people free housing, free education, free healthcare, benefits etc.

I am not less of a sikh because I buy expensive items. Sikhs can and are allowed to dress good. I work very hard. Also I pay 45% tax so thats nearly half my salary i.e. for half the year I am working and earning no money as that income goes into the system to give people free housing, free education, free healthcare, benefits etc.

Do as you wish. I was speaking about Sikhi and what it says about lavish items. If you are complaining about paying 45% tax. Go work at Mcdonalds or a factory for just above minimum wage and problem is solved.

I used to think the same too why people spend so much on some items. But then realised so what if they do, if they earn it and don't harm anybody else then it's got nothing to do with me. It's when they can't help their own and be selfish that's what should matter. Not all rich people are selfish. There are some that are grateful for their and put to good seva too, so if they spend that much it is probably a pinch of salt compared to how much they actually earn or giveaway. Although 1000 is a lot to spend on a purse, I couldn't do that even if could afford it.

Do as you wish. I was speaking about Sikhi and what it says about lavish items. If you are complaining about paying 45% tax. Go work at Mcdonalds or a factory for just above minimum wage and problem is solved.

You were saying I wasn't giving anything to the poor so I wanted to point out that 45% of what I earn goes to the poor.

You think Sikhs shouldn't spend money on expensive items but I disagree which is why I mentionned the Guru advocating that Sikhs should dress well. We dont have to dress like labourers.

I think it's ridiculous that your upset on what I spend my money on. The original question was - can sikh people buy expensive things and the answer is yes. The guru said you can buy expensive things - Sikhs can dress in designer wear etc

The problem is people become 'haters' but I can and I am allowed to spend my money on what - I already do enough for the poor and in all honesty people at my level don't bother helping poor people because they already pay 45% tax to help the poor and all that poor people do is complain and want more and more of the rich people's money and start accusing the rich rather than working hard themselves. I know that final sentence is going to sting but perhaps you should stop being judgemental about what rich people spend their money on. I think sikhi teaches one to not judge.

Also it is very easy for poor people to say the rich don't help them but in reality the poor get the most help and put the least into the system. Just look at the free education, free healthcare, free housing, free money in the UK welfare system that comes off the rich. I don't get to use any of these services. Also it wasn't a purse but I am not going to tell you what it was because your judgemental on the spend of others hard earned money.

Go work at Mcdonalds or a factory for just above minimum wage and problem is solved.

Here's a thought for you - most people at McDonalds are students and move on. The ones that stay didn't work hard enough at school so that's their own fault.

How about the poor people quit complaining and get themselves an education, a degree and a good job. Problem solved and then they don't need to look at my money and expect me to give it to them.

Society is structured in a way that it is meritocratic. If you want to make progress you work hard to earn it. Giving opportunities to the poor to get an education is ok therefore free education but if they don't work hard then that's their fault and that's why they end up in low paid jobs. No point in blaming others.