Multimillionaire Food Tycoon's Son Who Left Toddler Brain Damaged

Jeevan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3006536/Multimillionaire-tycoon-s-son-left-toddler-brain-damaged-horror-crash-jailed-second-time-blinding-man-bar-attack.html

Multimillionaire food tycoon's son who left toddler brain damaged in horror crash is jailed for a second time after he kicked a man in the head
  • Antonio Boporan Singh admitted his part in the brutal attack on two men following a bar brawl in Birmingham

• Two victims were punched, kicked and one was hit with a champagne flute

• Singh was jailed for a year after pleading guilty to actual bodily harm

• The 28-year-old has already served 21 months in jail for dangerous driving

• Cerys Edwards, one, was left paralysed and brain damaged in the crash

• Singh is son of food tycoon Ranjit Singh, who owns 2 Sisters Food Group

By Jennifer Newton for MailOnline

Published: 16:12, 22 March 2015 | Updated: 20:27, 22 March 2015

174 shares

View comments

A multimillionaire food tycoon's son who left a toddler brain damaged and paralysed following a horror car crash has been jailed for a second time after assaulting a man.

Antonio Boporan Singh, 28, was sentenced to a year in prison after pleading guilty to inflicting actual bodily harm and violent disorder after two men were punched, kicked and one was hit with a champagne glass at Birmingham's Nuvo Bar.

Singh, heir to a £130million chicken fortune, has already served 21 months in jail for causing horrific injuries to one-year-old Cerys Edwards in a crash while speeding at 72mph on the wrong side of a 30mph road in November 2006.

Scroll down for video

26E48A0E00000578-3006536-image-a-43_1427

+5

Antonio Boparan Singh, right, pictured with his food tycoon father Ranjit, right at an earlier court appearance. The 28-year-old has been sentenced to a year in jail after attacking a man in a brutal bar attack

His latest jail sentence comes after a brawl at the upmarket Birmingham bar last April.

During the fight, one victim, Jarondeep Kooner, was slashed across the face with a champagne flute by Theodore Mullings-Fairweather, who then repeatedly kicked and stamped on the man as he lay injured on the floor.

Singh from Little Aston, West Midlands - who earlier paid £400 to secure a VIP table at the bar - left the club with Mullings-Fairweather and alongside Edward Ansah and Nathan Pringle.

Share this article

But as they walked into a nearby street the group saw a 31-year-old man with his shirt ripped.

Assuming him to be part of the group involved in the fight, Mullings-Fairweather and Singh punched and kicked him to the ground before running off.

The minute-long attack was captured on CCTV and left both victims, Harprit Singh and Mr Kooner, requiring hospital treatment.

Mr Kooner, 22, suffered a fractured eye socket and has since lost use of an eye.

2564D07D00000578-2942453-image-a-1_14232

+5

Two men were punched, kicked and one hit with a champagne flute in the attack last April at Birmingham's Nuvo Bar, pictured

Thugs jailed for THIS brawl which left a man blind in one eye

video-undefined-26E5483F00000578-42_636x

Singh had pleaded guilty to one count of inflicting actual bodily harm and violent disorder at Birmingham Crown Court in February, and was given one year in jail on Friday.

Mullings-Fairweather, 25, from Selly Oak, Birmingham admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm and causing grievous bodily harm with intent and was jailed for eight years.

He also received another eight years for a separate offence of robbery after stealing a cash box from outside a Tesco store.

BOPARAN BUSINESS EMPIRE: FOOD TYCOON IS WORTH £800MILLION

Singh's father Ranjit Singh Boparan owns 2 Sisters Food Group - a Birmingham-based food-manufacturing company.

Established in 1993 as a frozen retail cutting operation, it has grown rapidly and expanded to cover 36 manufacturing sites in the UK, eight in the Netherlands, five in Ireland and one in Poland.

The group employs 23,000 people, and has annual sales of £3.4billion. It is listed 14th on the 2014 Sunday Times Top Track 100.

The company is now the third largest food company in the UK by turnover.

Brands include Fox's Biscuits, Goodfella's, Donegal Catch and Green Isle.

Harry Ramsden's was sold to Boparan Ventures Ltd in 2010, the private investment branch of his business empire.

Pringle, 32, from Erdington, Birmingham, and Ansah, 24, from Sutton Coldfield, both admitted violent disorder and were given 18 months imprisonment.

Addressing Singh, Judge Simon Drew QC said: 'The assault occasioning actual bodily harm took place after the violent assault and should be considered entirely separate and was a gratuitous attack.

'It involved you kicking a man on the ground to the head. These courts regard that conduct as very serious.'

Michael Wolkind, defending, said Singh had not been drinking that night and said he led a 'cautious' lifestyle.

He added the 28-year-old had dedicated his life to the Boparan Charitable Trust, which helps sick children.

After the hearing, Detective Constable Allan Jones, who led the inquiry, said: 'This was a violent attack which devastated the lives of two young men.

'Both needed extensive medical treatment and the 22-year-old has suffered permanent sight loss as a result of this group's actions.

Singh had previously been jailed for 21 months for hitting the car Cerys Edwards was in while overtaking at 70mph in a 30mph area in November 2006.

The youngster, now nine-years-old, was left unable to talk and walk and still requires a ventilator just to keep her alive.

Speaking after the sentencing, the father of Cerys's father, Gareth, 50, from Sutton Coldfield said: 'I think his sentence is very lenient considering his previous conviction.

26E4892C00000578-3006536-image-m-48_1427

+5

Toddler Cerys Edwards, who was left unable to talk and walk and requires a ventilator to breathe, after the car she was travelling in was hit by Singh

26E48A4600000578-3006536-image-a-46_1427

+5

The impact of the crash was so severe that Cerys, pictured before the incident, was ripped from her baby seat and her spine was fractured

'He won't learn anything from this and he will just do it again and again. I think it would take someone actually dying for him to stop and think.

'It's just absolutely ridiculous what he has done. He is the son of a millionaire, he couldn't want for anything.

I just can't get my head round that mentality. He's out of control.'

Singh, was just 19 when he caused Cerys' life threatening injuries while speeding in his powerful Range Rover Sport.

The impact of the crash in Sutton Coldfield was so severe the 11-month-old was ripped from her baby seat and her spine fractured.

The car was bought by his wealthy parents, Ranjit and Baljinder Boparan, who run the 2 Sisters Food Group, the third largest food company in the UK by turnover with an annual revenue of £3.4billion.

The outrage over Singh's sentence at the time sparked a campaign demanding government action.

26E48A2F00000578-3006536-image-a-47_1427

+5

Singh crashed the Range Rover his parents bought him when he was overtaking the Edwards family car at 70mph in a 30mph area

More than 13,000 campaigners supported tougher sentences and a petition was also delivered to Westminster by Cerys's parents in July 2009.

Labour's former Justice Minister Jack Straw called the Edwards family himself to give them the news about what became known as 'Cerys's Law'.

As a result of the changes anyone convicted of causing serious injury by dangerous driving now faces up to five years in prison instead of the previous maximum of two.

Cerys was awarded £5 million compensation in 2012 along with a guaranteed annual payout of £450,000 for the rest of her life.

At the time Judge Martin McKenna, sitting at Birmingham County Court, described it as the 'saddest and most tragic case' he had ever come across.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3006536/Multimillionaire-tycoon-s-son-left-toddler-brain-damaged-horror-crash-jailed-second-time-blinding-man-bar-attack.html#ixzz3V9o4U5bG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Antonio ? :wow:

?

Imagine you're Sikh parents (doesn't matter whether mona or keshdari) and you have a son. When you decide to name him 'Antonio' what great, kind, spiritual and uplifting things do you imagine he'll grow up to do?

You try and raise the above issue (of naming Sikh children) with a certain strand of our co-religionists and you'll end up being lambasted as old-fashioned, ignorant, and, in some cases, racist.

It's a fairly recent trend (in the past decade or so imo), but I see so many young Sikhs name their offspring every name under the sun apart from what you could term as traditional Sikh names. What exactly are they trying to tell their children? Have you ever heard of a Muslim from the Pakistani community naming their child Michael? Have you ever heard of someone from the Hindu faith name their child Emraan? Have you ever heard of someone from the white indigenous community name their daughter Jaya? Yet I know Sikhs who have called their children the aforementioned 3 names in recent years. It's always us; it's always Sikhs that fold so quickly.

Are so ashamed of our roots that we go out of our way to name future generations of Sikhs with the most strangest names imaginable. Some have even started to abandon the tradition of picking a name according to the first letter derived from a hukamnama at the Gurdwara; apparently mommy and daddy close ranks and choose whatever they wish to call the little sprog whilst the smell of amniotic fluid is still fresh in the delivery room.

Trust me, these and other things will come back to bite us in the behind in another 15 or 20 years in this country.

On the other hand a name is just a label, and you could argue the only thing that matters is what's inside. ?

You try and raise the above issue (of naming Sikh children) with a certain strand of our co-religionists and you'll end up being lambasted as old-fashioned, ignorant, and, in some cases, racist.

It's a fairly recent trend (in the past decade or so imo), but I see so many young Sikhs name their offspring every name under the sun apart from what you could term as traditional Sikh names. What exactly are they trying to tell their children? Have you ever heard of a Muslim from the Pakistani community naming their child Michael? Have you ever heard of someone from the Hindu faith name their child Emraan? Have you ever heard of someone from the white indigenous community name their daughter Jaya? Yet I know Sikhs who have called their children the aforementioned 3 names in recent years. It's always us; it's always Sikhs that fold so quickly.

Are so ashamed of our roots that we go out of our way to name future generations of Sikhs with the most strangest names imaginable. Some have even started to abandon the tradition of picking a name according to the first letter derived from a hukamnama at the Gurdwara; apparently mommy and daddy close ranks and choose whatever they wish to call the little sprog whilst the smell of amniotic fluid is still fresh in the delivery room.

Trust me, these and other things will come back to bite us in the behind in another 15 or 20 years in this country.

On the other hand a name is just a label, and you could argue the only thing that matters is what's inside.

THIS!!!

I know a family who named their daughter a name along the lines of Ivory and another whose son's name is similar to Lucas! I do not know what the heck is wrong with misguided/athiest punjabis they are such wanna be peoples. Always trying to white. Imagine if we lived in an Islamic country instead of a western one i bet these same people would start naming their kids Imran or something. You will never see this with the pakistanis because its required in their religon to have a muslim first name and you never see a white person naming their kids Harpreet.

What on earth has his name got to do with anything, do you think giving him a good traditional punjabi name would change anything, i think the saying we're all looking for here is "amir maa peo di bigdi aulad", i know of one or two cases in the Punjabi community where the parents were well off and the kids went off on one, one involved the father buying his son a Ferrari on the day he passed his driving test, the kid ran over a young mother on his first outing in the car, this guy going to jail ain't gonna fix him, he still stands to inherit £130 million, maybe if his daddy ji did the right thing and gave a few million out of his own pocket towards caring for that poor girl who's life was ruined at the hands of his son it may help, the guys a multi-millionaire yet the tax payers are paying the compensation or maybe he should work in one of his dad's factories making biscuits on minimum wage for a while.

What on earth has his name got to do with anything, do you think giving him a good traditional punjabi name would change anything, i think the saying we're all looking for here is "amir maa peo di bigdi aulad", i know of one or two cases in the Punjabi community where the parents were well off and the kids went off on one, one involved the father buying his son a Ferrari on the day he passed his driving test, the kid ran over a young mother on his first outing in the car, this guy going to jail ain't gonna fix him, he still stands to inherit £130 million, maybe if his daddy ji did the right thing and gave a few million out of his own pocket towards caring for that poor girl who's life was ruined at the hands of his son it may help, the guys a multi-millionaire yet the tax payers are paying the compensation or maybe he should work in one of his dad's factories making biscuits on minimum wage for a while.

Giving him a traditional name maynot have changed anything but bringing up as a Sikh definitely would have. The parents who have no time for Sikhi are responsible for this kind of behavior by their children. Had the parents been Sikhs with Sikhi values would they have given that stupid name to their son?

Giving him a traditional name maynot have changed anything but bringing up as a Sikh definitely would have. The parents who have no time for Sikhi are responsible for this kind of behavior by their children. Had the parents been Sikhs with Sikhi values would they have given that stupid name to their son?

Sorry, completely disagree, i know plenty of families who have bought up "good Sikh kids" and their kids go off the rails or get up to no good, to say that any parent with no time for Sikhi is responsible for this kind of behaviour in a child is ridiculous, who's responsible when you bring up your child within Sikhi and your kid goes off on one, giving your kid a good Sikh name doesn't mean jack, what matters is that you teach your kid right from wrong, that has nothing to do with any religion, it's just something you do as a parent.

Sorry, completely disagree, i know plenty of families who have bought up "good Sikh kids" and their kids go off the rails or get up to no good, to say that any parent with no time for Sikhi is responsible for this kind of behaviour in a child is ridiculous, who's responsible when you bring up your child within Sikhi and your kid goes off on one, giving your kid a good Sikh name doesn't mean jack, what matters is that you teach your kid right from wrong, that has nothing to do with any religion, it's just something you do as a parent.

Despite my earlier post I do kind of agree with you, brother. However, I just think a name is very important, especially for a minority such as Sikhs. If we - as in people who originate from Punjab - are ashamed or even reticent in continuing positive cultural practices such as naming our children according to our heritage and roots, then the child has very little chance in connecting to that rich heritage if he has no link to it, because I can guarantee you any parent that names their Sikh son Emraan or their daughter Jessie (no kidding) isn't gonna be the type of parent who will sit down and discuss cultural or religious issues with their child.

It won't be enough to drop off the little blighters at Punjabi school on a Saturday and Sunday, and hope something sinks in; that's lazy parenting, but again, it's another trend amongst us which has gathered steam over the years. As parents you will have to do the lion's share of work. There's no point in expecting the giani at the Gurdwara or the teachers at Punjabi school to do the heaviest lifting. That kinda stuff begins in the home.

Then you'll have these same kids in 14 or 15 years coming to forums like these complaining their parents didn't tell them anything about their culture or religion, by firstly not even giving them a suitable name! Yeah, I know there's some well dodgy people who have grand Sikh names and practically live in the Gurdwara, but that's an easy way out of confronting this uncomfortable truth. I'm not having a go at second and third generation Sikhs born overseas BTW; there's a fair amount of situations where the mother is Punjabi-born (and her husband is born in the West) yet even then these mothers insist on these type of names. I'll be honest, and again this'll upset some people, but this stuff is rampant where the female wears the trousers in the relationship, lol. I laugh because I'm typing it out and it sounds ludicrous, but it's something I've observed many times. So, guys, don't be pyjameh and let the missus boss you around; put your foot down and take control of your household and its future. Don't be a spectator and let things spiral out of control.