Should Gurudawaras Implement Strict Dress Codes?

ghettosikh

it will never work its impossible on a wedding day your gonna get girls dressed poorly and men turning up with cigarettes and alcohol breath ive seen it all before

And with the current commercialization of temples i doubt the pardaan will want his wallet affected

on another note what about keertan samagams theres people coming in and out of the darbaar all the time there should be strict time keeping come and sit and stay for the whole divaan especially AKJ samaghams are all rushed and khap khana all over

it will never work its impossible on a wedding day your gonna get girls dressed poorly and men turning up with cigarettes and alcohol breath ive seen it all before

And with the current commercialization of temples i doubt the pardaan will want his wallet affected

on another note what about keertan samagams theres people coming in and out of the darbaar all the time there should be strict time keeping come and sit and stay for the whole divaan especially AKJ samaghams are all rushed and khap khana all over

You want to put restrictions on? ever been to Sachkand Darbar Sahib Amritsar? speaks volumes...

What's wrong with wearing beautiful clothing on a nice occasion for those people? Besides, I doubt those people were even initiated into Sikhi, so just let them live there life?? As somebody said, why are you even looking at them? Don't you go to the Gurdwara Sahib for the Guru ji, and not for looking at girls?

Those girls are our sisters and daughters.. its the job of a responsible brother and father to encourage decency and gursikh values.

Beautiful clothes are fine just as long as they are decent!

The comment above is completely naive.

the job of the gurdwara is to guide us towards liberation of the soul by removing the veil of falsehood that is this world..

Its not the gurdwaras job to facilitate a nice looking event in a society that is increasingly confusing the direction of its moral compass.

In my local Gurdwara there's word-processed posters on walls where there's a lot of "traffic" asking the sangat to dress modestly, addressing both females AND males, which I thought was a good thing, because you just know someone will start moaning about the oppressive patriachy telling our reticent wallflowers how to dress, lol.

The issue with a lot of the Sangat is that they are not really frequent gurdwara goers. For a lot of people, it is for social reasons i.e. Anand Karaj, Akhand Path and Sukhmani Path (these really are social events), in particular for women. It is a time for the new suits purchased with all the bling. Women always judge other women on what they wear and they are in competition with each other and are always trying to outdo each other.

What really gets my goat is some of these young ladies whose chuni/dupatta keeps falling off because they wear it halfway as they do not want to spoil their hairdos. Funny how the elder bibian manage to keep their heads covered even when they are doing seva in the kitchen.

MissedASingh,

These girls that claim that the oppressive patriarchy is infringing in the right to be disrepectful in a Gurdwara would be perfectly compliant if they had to go to a mosque or synagogue.

What's wrong with wearing beautiful clothing on a nice occasion for those people? Besides, I doubt those people were even initiated into Sikhi, so just let them live there life?? As somebody said, why are you even looking at them? Don't you go to the Gurdwara Sahib for the Guru ji, and not for looking at girls?

plz dont make me laugh if u think dressin like a cheap ***** is beautiful then so be it but its not appropriate in the Gurudwara. And alot of them aren't even sikh but only punjabi n r only loyal to their caste so i don't no why they have to do Anand Karaj