Fasting in Sikhi

It is in Sikhi however that you should not eat anything before Jap Ji Sahib/ Nitnem in the morning. Doing this shows that you have renounced everything and made worship of Vaheguru your main action. Obviously this will take time...

I seek the wealth of the Lord, to purchase the Naam; I sing and love the Glorious Praises of the Lord. I have totally renounced sleep and hunger, and through deep meditation, I am absorbed into the Absolute Lord.

Page 442 Guru Raam Daas Raag Aasaa

Those who do not take their morning bath in cold water and those who eat before their Nitnem infringe the Rehat.

Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sikhs DO NOT believe in keeping fasts for any reason. Anyone who disagrees with this is going against the teachings of the Guru Granth Sahib! As stated:

Let Naam be your fast.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!!!

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Well there has been some fantastic answers, so I dont need to say anything but here is my 2 pence.

Rakhe Vart teh kareh Pakhand

Na oho sughan teh nah oho rand.

Sorry about the hard words but that is what it is.

and I cant remeber where it says:

the one who fasts for non religious purpose will end up as gadhi (female donkey) in her next birth - so choice is yours.

Khalsa ji Sikhi is kardi - karde ho ke kamayo. h

bhul chuk maaf

Again hinduism n pakiism is mixin in with Sikhism. Y fast wen Guru Ji has provided us with enuff food? We shud be thankful dat we get food wheras derz alot more unfortunate peepl dat dont. Be fortunate 2 wa u have. If Guru Ji's blessed us with enuff food then y say no 2 it? You shud consider urself az lucky.

Sikhi doesn't believe in fasting. Period!

I suggest and request you NEVER to fast!

68637[/snapback]

But what about if you have to get a blood test grin.gif Someone please tell me

109357[/snapback]

well quite obviously, if your doctor requires you to abstain from food and drink before a medical procedure, then it's okay to fast. BUT if one fasts for karva chauth or to get closer to God, then its a no-no cuz Sikhee doesn't believe in this. :)