Attention California Walio!!!

JSingh

Gupt Fauj, i know YC isn't the greatest but you shouldn't hate

i remember the S.F nagar kirtan's they were great

they would have langar in the park and there would be loads of homeless people who would come and have a meal

i don't know why every one keeps calling it parade, i think punjabi people just go there to show of their "sikh pride"

but it's much more than a parade it's singing kirtan in the streets

although you can hardly hear anything with all the different trucks playing their dharmic sangeet cd's

oh and i hate to bring this up but i heard there was a dispute between some truck drivers at the yc gurdwara on friday

The parade is mostly for the non sikh community. ITs juz for sikh awareness so non sikhs can learn bout sikhism and what its all about.

i disagree with the above, there aren't very many non sikhs who take interest in the nagar kirtan

it's been a few years since i've been so i could be wrong

i know they've had more awareness days and stuff during the three day event but in my opinion there's not much spirituality in the atmosphere just a bunch of punjabis having a big get together

sorry if i offended anyone

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last year about 40%-50% of the floats were BHANGRA and SSA/BHANGRA floats with professional singers/DJS.

ITS DISGUSTING. ITS a MELA, NOT a nagar keertan, unfortunately.

this badmashi corruption of one of our most beloved events, needs to stop.

of course with bains in charge, such a thing will never happen.

i want to see a real gurmat nagar keertan.

i want to see a gursikh sling a vaja across his shoulders and just start walking with love, followed by other naami gursikhs, look at pictures of bhai randhir singh jee and baoo mal singh jee at nagar keertans.

that's it...mkhalsa....

me, you, and whoever else...will do a nagar kirtan ..in november when i'm down in LA for samagam....

you get the vaja, i'll get a dholki...and someone else can get some channay...and let the good times roll...

actually that sort of stuff still goes on in india...

i know at samagams in dodra...several singhs do parbat feri all over teh village at amritvela just singing kirtan and simran....it's one of my favourite things there....

and one time at an ottawa samagam (well sort of outside ottawa...we rented the Tim Horton's children's camp) and we had the whole place for sangata...so instead of getting up and getting ready for 5am simran...

we'd get up and be ready by 4am and then get the dholki and channay and start singing shabads and simran and walking all over the grounds and waking up sleeping sangata on the way....it was soo amazing...like in the beginning there would be like 8 or 9 singhs but by 5am when we would enter darbar for morning hukamnamma and simran the whole sangat would walk in together in a procession singing beautiful gurbani..........

oh what good times they were ..indeed........shukar hai...

There was a jatha of kirtanis leading the Nagar Kirtan (behind the panj pyare and Sri Guru Granth Sahib of course), i don't remember all of them but Bhai Davinder Singh Sodhi Ji was there and I think Bhai Harjinder Singh Ji

it was like i suspected but not all that bad

i was very impressed with the Sacramento floats (not sac states lol jk)

both truck flatbeds (from the two Gurdwara's I think, i know Bradshaw for sure) or whatever you wanna call them had kirtan being sung the WHOLE TIME although the sangat really didn't join in much AND

there was loads of other LOUD music to from all the floats that gave a negative vibe

seems like 5 different dj's kept playing the same tracks over and over again

non sikhs must think were a roudy bunch with all the hip hop mixes

anyway enough criticizm

i took some pics but be warned i'm just an amateur and i was taking pics in a hurry and tried to take some action series pics so they might be a bit fuzzy i still need to review them it's been a long day

will try to get up a link sometime tommorow

aight maybe i was wrong about the 'parade' being mostly for sikh awareness amongst non sikh folks.

its juz advertisement, if u get what i mean rolleyes.gif :e:

sac state pics will be up soon probably on our website.

yo chill out about the dj's playing the same tracks repeatedly. if i knew how to do kirtan, you bet i'd be up there doing kirtan with my jatha. but who knows how to do kirtan? anyone who does from the youth doesn't wanna do it. raagi jathas from gurdwaras were already with thier gurdwara's float probably. all of us ssa float pplz, where do we get a kirtani jatha from then? so we either have no music, or at least we have dharmik geet like the ak 47 and jago songs. any objections to that?

and i think i saw SOGGS there ohmy.gif this singh look so much like him from what i remember from some pic that was in the forum a while back.

i was very impressed with the Sacramento floats (not sac states lol jk)

hey man......we

worked so hard on that. <_<

i gotta say one thing though about our punjabi pplz in general. they got no sharam or maybe they got no manners. I went in the langar area and saw loads of plates of half eaten pakoras or other food left on the make shift tables. What is up with that? Juz cuz theres 50000 ppl does a person think that "oh well, theres so many ppl no ones gonna notice I'm leaving my plate at the table." But they easily forgot that regardless of whether someone sees them leaving their plate at the table, Waheguru ji is still watching them and knows he left his plate at the table. These kinda ppl can't pick up their own plate and throw it in the trash, how much seva do you think they can do of picking up other ppl's plates and throwing in the trash......or any other seva for that matter? I wonder if these ppl leave their plates at the table at home as well. If not, then why do they do it at the gurdwara?

:wub: disgusting punjabi wannabe sikhs.

I went there and it was wonderful! The keertan on Saturday night was amazing. Even though i got to listen to it for ony a few hours but I found it amazing, the keertanis who did keertan when i was in were: Bhai Gurmel Singh, Bhai Amarjeet Singh Taan, Bhai Gulbag Singh, Bhai Nirmal Singh (Hazoori Raagi Sri Darbar Sahib), Bhai Bhupinder Singh Paras, Bhai Rajinder Singh Sital, Bhai Harjinder Singh Ji Sri Nagar wale, and many more jathas. It was amazing. Then in the morning at 5am-7am, Bhai Nirmal Singh Ji did Asa Di //. I did not get to walk with the nagar keertan, but a friend of mine did and he took took hundreds of pictures. I will paste the link here when he'll upload it at www.SikhWisdom.com

And don't ask about the langar folks. It was amazing, cannot describe it. People served Guru Ka Langar with soooooooooooo much sharda. It was incredible.