The British Raj: Remember You Are Not Indian

JagsawSingh

by the time they were studying, the foreign culture could've changed by that time.

Ways that have been in effect for hundreds or even thousands of years do not drastically alter over months or years. Popular moods and tastes change each year, but deep-rooted practices take many, many generations to change if nature is allowed to take its course.

Ranjeet Singh is correct. The observations the British made under the initial pretext of opening up trading channels on the sub-continent were undertaken so that future policy towards the natives could be shaped and implemented. They did the same in the Orient.

They'd have been fools to enter Punjab blind... which is, ironically, exactly what they did in 2003 in Iraq, and probably why that region is now in the mess that it is. But that was more of an American operation; Britain was yapping around American ankles like an eager puppy, and we all know American foreign policy cares very little for the post-operation clearing up. They're all about the shock and awe, lol.

It seems the quality of British personnel from the Raj compared to modern day Foreign Office personnel has gone backwards in a drastic way. But anyway that's another discussion.

There needs to be a Sikh think tank.

I'm inclined to favour a direct communication, ground level up movement myself. Educating each other so to speak. Actually like we are doing here now, but on a large scale, that importantly includes outreach to people on the periphery.

What might be a good idea in my eyes, is to actually take a step back from most things outside of strengthening the community in terms of cohesion, political and social savvy, education (not just academic here!), physical training/diet and restraint. Before we make a move we also have to permanently deal with the sycophant issue and opposing identities amongst us, this involves facing the past squarely and acknowledging the impact of our 100 years of subjugation by the Brits.. These things are never perfect but in this day and age, with mass communication technology, it is doable. I think we have a tendency to get bogged down in regional politics in a conspicuous way, like all the EDL/BNP bulltish, or jumping on the Palestine thing when our own house isn't exactly in order. This has to stop.

What we are essentially talking about here is realigning for the 21st century to face up to modern, global challenges whilst making sure not to lose Sikhi's original spiritual basis. I believe colonisation actually took us back to the dark ages as a community, so to my mind, I'm just talking about re-establishing many trends we previously had, before outsiders hijacked us with their agendas and encouraged parochialism amongst us.

Personally, I'm quite optimistic about things. I think more and more Sikhs are waking up to wider, global realities around them and are applying a critical eye to our recent past.

I think we should strengthen ourselves right now, and wait and watch other people slip and stumble with all the fudhoo politics being played out there (instead of getting embroiled in other people's battles like we have too strong a tendency for!)