What About The Women In Sikhism?

SinclairP

Spiritual 'khoj' is so important for both men and women of any religion, not just for sikhs. The Gurus taught us gender equality but look at the sikhdom now? It is 100 percent male dominated. If a female is doing a khoj, who is she going to turn to guide her. Not everyone understands the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji when they first start out looking for answers, they have to turn to someone who knows what the Guru is saying.

we are all women looking for the beloved ...people just just fooled by the clothing of maas...please Waheguru ji bless everyone will eyes to see

" They said, they never acknowledge their own women if they are baptized and dressed like them! In fact, one of them said, on many occasions she has been stared at by Sikh men wearing turbans themselves. And sometimes, they get 'dirty, rude' looks by Punjabi Sikh men and women just because they look the way they do, meaning, baptized!! Can someone please explain why this is so? I am looking into all this before I decide to be baptized. I don't really understand much about this."

Sinclairp Ji, it depends also what town or city one lives in. Where I live there are many Amritdhari Sikh women, therefore they do not get dirty looks or ignorant behaviour. Everybody talks to each other on a one to one level, regardless whether they are Amritdhari or not.

Or it maybe because the elder men are used to an environment where they distance themselves from women due to respect. This if they say anything, they probably would be afraid they don't say the wrong thing. This is how I see it, the elder men and women would hesitate in interpersonal communication as they would not know what to say or how to greet. But some are very friendly, that I've seen that tend to talk to Amritdhari younger females.

The ones that are ignorant I cannot comment for them. It may also be that some elders have a habit of just looking like that, lol. But it is common, I've often experienced it and I used to think why are they giving dirty looks? But then I realised the more I became involved in that scenario, it seems that some elders just have that strict, bemused look on their faces when they see something different or they are not used to. Therefore it comes across as dirty looks. Your friends shouldn't worry about them as nobody can read what's going on in somebody's mind just because of a look, it doesn't mean they are bad people. It's because they are from a different era, and probably are not used to young Amritdhari women in that environment.

Now that you have mentioned this, let me explain to you why?

If you are a westerner, no matter, if you a sikh or not, we Punjabi sikh men have a very ugly inane habit of placing you females on a 'PEDESTAL' if you know what I mean. Our own then become second class to you!! But you already know that, dont' you? This is the reason, your sikh friends were ignored, because you stole the show! We men feel very flattered to be with one of you! We feel even more chuffed when we greet you because of the attention we get when you answer hehe......................it becomes even more interesting when one of us penddu Punjabi sikh marries one of you, there is a lot of hoo ha..........and WAH JI WAH.....when this happens. Put this all down to our inferiority complex but it is soooo very, very, very accurate and correct. I have many friends that will only go after the white females and look down on their own, they feel they are achieving the unachievable, something great when they finally manage to date one. So, whether your friends were baptised singhees or not, no punjabi sikh will greet them. Nothing to do with showing respect or shyness on the part of sikh males. If the color is right the greeting is dancing upon their lips, but only for a western female, I mean, white!! Do you now get the full picture?

PLEASE, stick to your own culture and try to learn as much about sikhism as you can. You don't want to be following the punjabi culture unless you wanna be placed on a pedestal and worshiped like God. It is pathetic, I know, but the truth has to be told. Enjoy your rights and freedoms as a westerner, why do you want to compromise, what for? You can lead a spiritual life on your own with the help of vaheguru.

I am sure you already know everything I have told you. I have heard many westerns say they get treated like God by our people when they visit their local gurdwaras with sikh friends. Special treatment, in other words. I have never heard vice-versa of this phenomenon lol!

Speak for yourself..................hehehe

Why are you encouraging this person to write like this about the Sikh men? It is true what he says but does't need encouragement from you. Nearly, all the gorreys and gorries know this. They know brownies men like gorries and they will choose them over the own browny kurriya. It is balley balley Je apna munda gorri nal viah karre patta ainna nu Sara kuch.

All these gorreys are east europeans anyway, not ....