Hygene Langar

Big_Tera

Whilst you are both right not all people can do that. There are times I have sat there and done my simran while waiting. However with every single person you meet complaining about it and actually not going into the guradwara should be ringing alarm bells. Believe me the system has been in place for an year now. People have tried to cope and given up. 20 mins in langar does not seem too good. After langar you come home and families need to cook because someone missed some item and just did not sat well.

There are pros and cons too. People with children cannot do seva much as they may want to. Someone passing by you asking if you will have some tea 3 times does break your simran too. If you have an appointment to attend to then you have to opt to miss kirtan and spenx 20 mins in langar. Yes people enjoy langar and go for the dhaal anx sabzi. I am not speaking for myself alone. 9 close people have just admitted this to me. It pains me that others are opting to go elsewhere.

People who were going to have their programs at this guradwara went ahead and cancelled them. These were 4 parwars. The reason was the langar system. This system requires a huge space which the guradwara does not have. You have your langar while others are standing waiting and you sit there waiting with your empty plate. Anyone who needs to make a hasty exit has no chance to have a quick langar. Langar as we know has been created for a purpose. Imagine elderly people standing waiting - are you going to enjoy your simran leave alone your langar?

Sorry to hear that penji. Could you speak with the committee or main sevadars to let them know of sangat's concerns? I'm sorry I don't know that area, so not familiar with their system.

Sorry to hear that penji. Could you speak with the committee or main sevadars to let them know of sangat's concerns? I'm sorry I don't know that area, so not familiar with their system.

it used to be the system used in all gurdwarey in the seventies and early eighties , when there were many willing sewadars from sangat including kids both in langar and on the bucket/jug relay up and down the lanes of pangat. When they introduced dhils in maryada of langar by tables and chairs this made it more complicated to administer langar and also changed people's perception of where they are ...then developed into a mentality where people think of it like a restaurant not a place to receive Guru ji's blessing/Parshad . Really do we start cussing don sewadars who take too long to distribute Karah in dabar ? no then what is the difference in pangat ...I think people need to change attitude on both sides. Sangat should volunteer more , encourage their kids to help out also and those who do the sewa should think of sangat as Guru's roop and serve in that mentality

The system before used to work very well. It did not require a change. People have complained and pleas fall on deaf ears. When the committee says things are not in their hands, then there is not much you can do.

It's true the youngsters do not engage in much seva. However I have seen most people get more motivated to perform seva. However the thing is the system is too slow and cannot deal with a bigger function. The sevadhaars are more effective when they stand and serve.

This system was used traditionally when there were lots of people and there was space too. The huge guradwara in Birmingham uses this system, however they have huge langar halls too. It is also effective when people are coming in altogether not in 5s and 3s..

All the other guradwaras have adopted their systems to suit the present day demands of the community where langar is served all day. Not everyone goes in to perform seva. Families with more than 2 children find it difficult to wait.

Everyone I personally know is not happy with the system. I was almost shocked when two days ago I just asked a lady if they were going to that guradwara for vasakhi. She told me that they have stopped going there and her husband tried to speak to the in charge who said its not in his hands to decide what the system is.

When whoever started it does not care about its consequences, unless it is a deliberate attempt to reduce attendance then they should be aware of people's attitudes too.No one will keep complaining twice or thrice out of sharam. It is however an uncomfortable system we would rather do without.

The system before used to work very well. It did not require a change. People have complained and pleas fall on deaf ears. When the committee says things are not in their hands, then there is not much you can do.

It's true the youngsters do not engage in much seva. However I have seen most people get more motivated to perform seva. However the thing is the system is too slow and cannot deal with a bigger function. The sevadhaars are more effective when they stand and serve.

This system was used traditionally when there were lots of people and there was space too. The huge guradwara in Birmingham uses this system, however they have huge langar halls too. It is also effective when people are coming in altogether not in 5s and 3s..

All the other guradwaras have adopted their systems to suit the present day demands of the community where langar is served all day. Not everyone goes in to perform seva. Families with more than 2 children find it difficult to wait.

Everyone I personally know is not happy with the system. I was almost shocked when two days ago I just asked a lady if they were going to that guradwara for vasakhi. She told me that they have stopped going there and her husband tried to speak to the in charge who said its not in his hands to decide what the system is.

When whoever started it does not care about its consequences, unless it is a deliberate attempt to reduce attendance then they should be aware of people's attitudes too.No one will keep complaining twice or thrice out of sharam. It is however an uncomfortable system we would rather do without.

again this is not a restaurant ...you go to Guru ji's charan to receive blessings ...if you reject it purely on the basis of how quickly you get your langar I'm sorry you have missed the point . The old system was the system that Guru ji put in place and it works fine in Harmandir sahib where they serve 100,000 on an average day. It is all attitude and practice , I'm sure the kids would love to do this sewa as I visited my childhood gurdwara for a cousin's program and my sons loved serving prashadey and tending to pani and sabji refills along the lines it also means they learn to be unpredjudiced and open to all kinds of ages and races . In fact they asked if they could go back again because of that opportunity.

it used to be the system used in all gurdwarey in the seventies and early eighties , when there were many willing sewadars from sangat including kids both in langar and on the bucket/jug relay up and down the lanes of pangat. When they introduced dhils in maryada of langar by tables and chairs this made it more complicated to administer langar and also changed people's perception of where they are ...then developed into a mentality where people think of it like a restaurant not a place to receive Guru ji's blessing/Parshad . Really do we start cussing don sewadars who take too long to distribute Karah in dabar ? no then what is the difference in pangat ...I think people need to change attitude on both sides. Sangat should volunteer more , encourage their kids to help out also and those who do the sewa should think of sangat as Guru's roop and serve in that mentality

I know of the system used, which also is used at many Gurdwaras around the world, Sri Harmandir Sahib ji being one of them, where sevadars come to Sangat to serve. But I meant, the Gurdwara that has been mentioned, their own system of how they do it.

It's not about cussing sevadars, it's about everybody working together and doing seva as a whole.

Thankyou penjis and bhajis for making me see it in a different light.

No one ever complained before, and we have been attending that Guradwara for now 10 years. When you are surrounded with complaints from everyone all around, it just makes you a bit angry at whoever introduced that system. I will however try to talk to more people and get their views.

I definitely have a better mental attitude to the system now. Thanks.

Apologies if I sounded snappy, getting old :-(

Where does the Guru reside? In the sangat. Sangat is Guru roop.

So would we expect Guru Ji to stand in line, pick up a thali and choose which sabzi/dhall etc to get and then find a place to sit? No, we would very respectfully sit Guru Ji down in pangat place thali in front and serve Guru Ji and then pick up the thali after wards. So we should do the same for the sangat, as the sangat is Guru roop.

I hear your frustrations, I know its difficult but the committee needs to be made aware of the service and ways to improve it. It may need a jatha of people to take control and organise the langar, get the youth involved.