Sign in to follow this  
Sat1176

Drayton Manor - Shockwave Rollercoaster (Dastar Loss)

Thought I would share some information with fellow dastar wearing brothers and sisters as a word of caution.

Over the weekend I visited Drayton Manor theme park (near Birmingham, UK) for the first time. I've been on all rollercoasters and rides wearing my pugg and have never had any issues both here in the UK and Florida. However when I went on Shockwave the stand up rollercoaster at Drayton Manor after the first loop there was a rapid acceleration and the wind factor literally blew my pugg right off. :ghost:

I literally couldn't believe it. It was not as if my turban was not tied tightly or loose in anyway, as I had just come off their G-Force rollercoaster fine.

I have to give credit and respect to the staff there as they stopped the ride and one of the senior staff offered to go and see if they could find it, although he was not hopeful he would find it or it would be in a wearable state as he said there was water underneath that portion of the ride . I was so relieved that he managed to find it and returned to me. Afterwards he told me that I'm not the first one who has lost their turban on this ride especially after the first loop.

Be warned and take precaution if your going to ride this one. I would be interested to know if any others have had a similar issue on this ride.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sat1176 said:

However when I went on Shockwave the stand up rollercoaster at Drayton Manor after the first loop there was a rapid acceleration and the wind factor literally blew my pugg right off.

What style of turban were you sporting?

Should be common sense really to make sure your dastaar is wrapped tightly or better still don't even go on these kinda rides if you suspect it will come off posing risk to yourself or others. I know ride operators do not allow you to carry lose items or coins or mobile phones on yourself just incase they fly off and hit people. More than a decade ago 3 British Sikhs who used to post on this forum I think.....drowned in a lake while they was on group trip out to a lake. They were good swimmers but their dastaars had wrapped around their bodies and prevented them from escaping the water and sadly they were drowned.

I read another case unrelated where a amritdhari Sikh family was turned away from the rides because they were carrying the kirpan. I would suggest these people to use their head, its common sense you do not go on rides or do any sort of activity where your religious items can pose health and safety risk to yourself or others. Especially in times like this its more important than ever to be security sensitive and politically aware of the times we living in.

I am always scared of these situations. I tie an elaborately tall dumalla so I am just scared if it gets wacked off on a sign or something.

3 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

Tie a Tha-Tha before riding roller coasters.

As for Kirpan, it's not even allowed on London Eye.

image.jpeg

since when ? I've been on LE  with mine a couple of times

4 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

act you age. what are you doing on one of those things in the first place. lol

Lol, very true.

was the last one on my to do list. Think I've been traumatised. Game over

7 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

If you can keep your pagri when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on Shockwave...

Excuse me! Think your getting the wrong end of the stick. Take a chill pill bro. Was an innocent post and heads up. I don't want it to happen to anyone else because they were not aware. It is a big embarrassment to come off a ride without your pagg. I'm sure their are loads of dastar wearing Sikhs who have been on it and come off with their paggs still intact. 

10 hours ago, genie said:

More than a decade ago 3 British Sikhs who used to post on this forum I think.....drowned in a lake while they was on group trip out to a lake. They were good swimmers but their dastaars had wrapped around their bodies and prevented them from escaping the water and sadly they were drowned.

1. What kind of turbans were they sporting?

2. Do you have a link?

10 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

since when ? I've been on LE  with mine a couple of times

Good for you.

It was long time back, I saw metal detectors & enquired from staff whether it was ok to pass with Sarabloh kara but she said "No".

10 hours ago, BhForce said:

1. What kind of turbans were they sporting?

2. Do you have a link?

are you sure because I heard that first boy went into lake got into trouble because of temperature and current (under tow) then the other two jumped in to rescue him and got into same bind ...didn't hear anything about dastars being the reason

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/fathers-see-lake-where-sons-died-46192

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/5377346.stm