Khanda on Christmas Tree?

MrDoaba

23 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

This topic has inspired me somehow, if I remember next year then I will try and put an ashtbuja next year in the living room for December 2018, now where can I get one? Or is it better to combine neela nishan sahib with ashtbuja?

yoda.jpg

Please do not own an ashtbujha, there is a loto f maryada to owning one. Please just a humble request.

9 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

rakhdri, lodi , diwali dive jagoune, jaggo, maieeaan ...the list is long of 'traditions ' which stem from cultures other than ours -sikhi

I was waiting for you!

You missed my point btw.

If you celebrate Christmas you generally get a Christmas tree. It's the tradition.

If you celebrate Rakhri then generally you tie a rakhri. It's the tradition.

If you celebrate Lohri you generally have a dhuni. It's the tradition.

I will not comment on the Diwali one because I practise Bhamanvaad in my day to day life so it's a moot point. It's part and parcel of being a Kesdhari Hindu.

I don't get how the jago and maiyaan one come into this equation. Regardless of that, I don't see how either of these are a problem for Punjabi Sikhs anyway.

4 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

I was waiting for you!

You missed my point btw.

If you celebrate Christmas you generally get a Christmas tree. It's the tradition.

If you celebrate Rakhri then generally you tie a rakhri. It's the tradition.

If you celebrate Lohri you generally have a dhuni. It's the tradition.

I will not comment on the Diwali one because I practise Bhamanvaad in my day to day life so it's a moot point. It's part and parcel of being a Kesdhari Hindu.

I don't get how the jago and maiyaan one come into this equation. Regardless of that, I don't see how either of these are a problem for Punjabi Sikhs anyway.

point was there are some 'punjabi' traditions which are rooted in shameful history such as Dheeaan where Hindus would basically set up their female juniors and relatives for selection and abduction by mughal forces

do jagoo -singing songs slating members of the family and making a jaloos of the family 

Maieean - doing upitan on fair skinned, daily washing sikh brides  to remove imaginary dirt (muslim custom as they were desert dwellers), washing bangles in milk and putting them on for a month

All pointless and done for traditions sake , in ignorance ... so using tradition as an excuse is really lame -sati was one , kudimaar was another ... I thought Guru Sahiban dragged our minds out of those ruts ?

4 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

point was there are some 'punjabi' traditions which are rooted in shameful history such as Dheeaan where Hindus would basically set up their female juniors and relatives for selection and abduction by mughal forces

do jagoo -singing songs slating members of the family and making a jaloos of the family 

Maieean - doing upitan on fair skinned, daily washing sikh brides  to remove imaginary dirt (muslim custom as they were desert dwellers), washing bangles in milk and putting them on for a month

All pointless and done for traditions sake , in ignorance ... so using tradition as an excuse is really lame -sati was one , kudimaar was another ... I thought Guru Sahiban dragged our minds out of those ruts ?

Why do you have to go off on a tangent? I couldn't care less about any of this. I'm not trying to debate what's right and what's not in Punjabi culture. Or Punjabi culture at all for that matter.

Seeing as you've started it however:

Are you talking about Teeyan da mela? If so, I've never heard that about it. But I'll look into it. Sounds like bulltutti though. What's the need to set them up, from what we know about history, it's quite obvious the Mughals would come and take who and what they wanted.

Think it's rooted in shame, call the Shari...I mean...Satkaar Committee to cut down the swings.

I've never been to a Jago where people make jaloos of the family. It's possible but I wouldn't say it's jaloos. It's usually banter and sarcasm. Who are we to diss their sense of humour. Even now I can't relate to proper Punjabi comedy or banter.

Don't like it, don't go. Still not happy, you know who to call, they will impose a curfew.

The maiyaan one sounds like bakwaas too. I have never understood the "fair skinned" argument, why would people who are already fair skinned do it then? More likely it was done to clear up the skin and to add a glow. I thought you of all people would know the effects of the ingredients of batna. As for the desert thing, I have been asked by Muslims about Punjabi wedding traditions plenty of times and when maiyaan came up, none of them had any idea of it, or if they did they made it clear it wasn't one of theirs. If anything they make somewhat of a mazaak of it. 

Don't want nice skin on your wedding day, good luck. 118 118, sure they can direct you to the right people who will in turn block sales of the ingredients during wedding season.

Not sure about choora tbh. Probably some Hinduness in there somewhere, so get your baseball bat and smash up the bazaar.

Where do you get this stuff?

Now sati, a terrible comparison. I'm not even gonna bother to explain why.

Kurimaar:

Nurse: It's a baby girl congrats!

Man to wife: Oh one of our neighbours had a girl a few weeks ago. They killed her.

Man and wife simultaneously: Shall we kil......

Man to wife: It's what people do.

Wife: Guess that's that then.

The above explains why it wasn't done just for "traditions sake" or out of "ignorance".

Sati and kurimaar are disgusting practises, and wrong, I don't disagree there.  But they do not fit into the box as the others you mentioned, if those are even true.