Gurdwara designs

Big_Tera

Why do Gurdwaras look very similar to the design of a mosque. 

If you took away the colour schemes you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. 

Why did Sikhs copy the muslims place of worship design. 

Hindus and christians and even jews have their own distinctive designs. Yet Sikhs seems to have copied the islamic one. Ie the dome shapes. 

14 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

If you took away the colour schemes you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. 

Hindus and christians and even jews have their own distinctive designs. Yet Sikhs seems to have copied the islamic one. Ie the dome shapes. 

What looks similar? Do you mean the dome? I am pretty sure the Nishaan Sahibs will prove the opposite.

I guess because the prominent culture in Punjab until 1947 had always been Islamic. In fact many Mandirs built during the Sikh empire also had domes like the Punj mandir in Fatehgarh churian built by one of Ranjit Singhs wives and the old mandir at Pul Kanjri village also has a dome etc but i'm guessing Punjabi Hindus eventually stopped using the dome. Harmandir Sahib which in its present structure was constructed even before the Sikh empire went onto  become the model for Gurdware. The present structures of Takht Hazur Sahib and Nankana Sahib were built during the Sikh empire and even though they both have a dome they still look different to mosques. Most mosques in south asia traditionally have 3 domes, one big central dome and two smaller ones either side. If you look at the few surviving older gurdware built during the Sikh empire they looked very unique even though they had domes. Like look at the structure of Gurdwara baba Atal rai in Amritsar, its a tall tower while Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi Lakhpat sahib in Gujarat and gurdwara kangan ghat in patna also both have very unique structures. Many of the old abandoned gurdwareh in Pakistan have very unique structures. I believe its after 1947 that gurdwareh started all looking alike and very mosque like 

6 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Well, do you mean that after Guru Gobind Singh ji, Sikhs started madly copying the Islamic designs?

You should surely know that the Gurus themselves supervised the building of Gurdwaras, including Kartarpur Sahib, Taran Taaran, and Darbar Sahib. You've been to Amritsar, right?

So is what you are really saying "Why did the Gurus copy the Muslims"?

Finally, what does it really matter? I mean, are we supposed to purposely not do stuff just because "the Muslims do it"? So, if the Muslims use chairs, we can't use chairs.

If the Muslims use paper and pen, we can't. If the Muslims ride horses, we can't. If the Muslims keep swords, we can't?

BTW, the main purpose of the main dome is so that no one will walk over the place where Guru Sahib is prakashed.

Being interested in architecture, I have wondered this many times too. Also when I heard about the Sikh temple shooting in Wisconsin, I couldn't help but think that not only the turbans, but the temple itself may had made it look more probable that it was a mosque. Now before I draw the ire of some members here, I'm not questioning the Gurus, simply just stating my own observations.

Having done some research I've found that Sikh architecture has been significantly influenced by Mughal architecture. And in turn, Mughal architecture is basically Persian architecture, which in turn is basically Arabian architecture, hence Islamic architecture. 

18 hours ago, monatosingh said:

I am pretty sure the Nishaan Sahibs will prove the opposite.

The Nishan Sahib looks pretty similar to the minarets of mosques as well.

• 4 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Big_Tera said:

a building is a building mate

On 5/19/2018 at 10:05 AM, Big_Tera said:

the dome shapes

Dhan Guru Ram Daas Maharaj said to Guru Arjan Dev ji to make Sri Harimander Sahib as if it were his body. That dome shape is like a Dastar covering Dasam Duaar and if you look at how Harimander Sahib is built it is trying to show us that God's love resides inside us.