Modern day Panjabi names & how terrible they are.

Gagan1995

1 hour ago, TejS said:

So why did Waheguru start creation?

since we are inside the Waheguru experience maybe we are just the manifestations of Its furne/thoughts , sometimes I get the feeling that gurbani and many texts refer to this world as a dream for a reason it strikes me that like thoughts flit through our minds/universal consciousness begin  to form the universe through quantam mechanical fields (observer creates the event, influencing the result) this is mirrored in the macrocosm

3 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

since we are inside the Waheguru experience maybe we are just the manifestations of Its furne/thoughts , sometimes I get the feeling that gurbani and many texts refer to this world as a dream for a reason it strikes me that like thoughts flit through our minds/universal consciousness begin  to form the universe through quantam mechanical fields (observer creates the event, influencing the result) this is mirrored in the macrocosm

If we are thoughts, then God has some pretty mean, evil, disgusting thoughts. Wouldn't that go against the claim of God being perfect then?

3 hours ago, puzzled said:

I think hinduism was once a great religion but today has been reduced to pouring milk over idols. I think brahmins began the downfall, they spread superstitions which created fear in people, fear traps and enslaves people and thats what the brahmins wanted. They placed the caste system to secure their place at the top and to keep every one under them and in their place. they enslaved Indian society and did not let is prosper, the caste system was designed and practiced in a way where only the bramins would gain. I read somewhere that it was brahmins that spread idols, idols create superstitions. If hindus actually followed texts like the upanishads or the geeta and not the idols and rituals then hinduism wouldn't actually be the mess that it is today. 

Not really. In fact, the earliest Hinduism practiced as entailed in the Rig Veda is offering sacrifices to the Gods. So instead of pouring milk over an idol, you had people sacrificing things like animals and placing them on the alter for the Gods (such as Indra).

Here is a quote where Indra is speaking to those offering him sacrifices (Rig Veda, Book 10, Hymn LXXXVI) -

Indra will eat thy bulls, thy dear oblation that effecteth much. Supreme is Indra over all.
Fifteen in number, then, for me a score of bullocks they prepare,
And I devour the fat thereof: they fill my stomach full with food. Supreme is Indra over all!

So, Hinduism has been flawed from the beginning. I suppose it actually improved overall as it developed given its original form. 

13 hours ago, Preeet said:

So what? Indra is a title, it means lord. You cant base hate off of 1 Indras deed. Just cuz your name is Ajeet and you commited a bujjar kurehit (cutting hair), and other paaps (hiding the truth from your fiance) does not mean that the name Ajeet is tainted now & shouldnt be used (y) Also, if someones name is Inderjit for example, it means they won over Indra. Parminder would mean most powerful lord, Narinder would mean lord of humans, Jaginder would mean lord of the world, Satinder would mean lord of truth, Mahindar would mean the great lord etc.. Look at the actual sanskrit meanings behind sanskrit names. A lot of them are adjectives or just nouns.

Why not Rehman (compassionate) Singh , Rahim (merciful) Singh , Abdullah (servant of god) Singh ??

1 hour ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Why not Rehman (compassionate) Singh , Rahim (merciful) Singh , Abdullah (servant of god) Singh ??

Those names just sound weird! Imagine being called Abdullah Singh  haha!

Hari Singh, Arjun Singh, Tegh Singh etc sound a lot better 

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

Those names just sound weird! Imagine being called Abdullah Singh  haha!

Hari Singh, Arjun Singh, Tegh Singh etc sound a lot better 

I am questioning why is this thinking ingrained in sikhs . Sure those islamic names sound weird when suffixed with "singh" , but then how come hindu sounding names like "arjun" , "*-indars" , are ok with sikhs ? 

37 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

I am questioning why is this thinking ingrained in sikhs . Sure those islamic names sound weird when suffixed with "singh" , but then how come hindu sounding names like "arjun" , "*-indars" , are ok with sikhs ? 

Because that's how it has always been! very rarely have Sikhs used Muslim names.  

13 hours ago, TejS said:

If we are thoughts, then God has some pretty mean, evil, disgusting thoughts. Wouldn't that go against the claim of God being perfect then?

who is  being judgemental ? Waheguru ji is neutral his creation has free will, instincts which they act on , if anything Waheguru ji allows us to choose the minute decisions which make our path in toto . We are the ones who follow our own mat /sianap and go falling down wells  then want to shout at Waheguru ji that it is all Waheguru ji's fault ...what happened  dos na deeja avar jaana ? you want freedom to choose then take the responsibility of the effect of those choices . Just the fields' produce of USA is enough to feed the world population but it doesn't because the USA is full of lobh ahankar and kaamna. If they were godward/gurmat people irrespective of faith they would do more to help . We are not God because we hold ourselves to a lower standard 'because we are human'

38 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Because that's how it has always been! very rarely have Sikhs used Muslim names.  

rarely ? 2 of 4 sahibzade had names of arabic/persian language : Zorawar and Fateh Singh (notice the 'Z' that is almost exclusive to arabic/persian) .

What about 'Subeg' Singh and 'Shahbaaz' Singh ? (again very persian ) 

Also punjabis have for long had 'Iqbal' as sikh name , for strange reasons.  And "noor" as in gurnoor, harnoor is an arabic word meaning 'light' . so there you go 

1 minute ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

rarely ? 2 of 4 sahibzade had names of arabic/persian language : Zorawar and Fateh Singh (notice the 'Z' that is almost exclusive to arabic/persian) . Also punjabis have for long had 'Iqbal' as sikh name , for strange reasons.  And "noor" as in gurnoor, harnoor is an arabic word meaning 'light' . so there you go 

in the old days it was mostly names like daya singh, dyal singh, gurdev singh, kishan singh, etc later on it became names like sandeep, mandeep, jaspreet etc  arabic influenced names have never been as common as these indian names.

my great grandfathers name was ram rakha lol