My mom is Sikh-Hindu.

Gagan1995

5 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

puzzled I'm wondering are you jatt heritage because my dadake and ananke have similar anecstor shrines where people do ardas matha tek befor egoing to do a big work like getting married ?

the good thing is my Nanake and Dadake converted the whole thing to doing sewa of living gursikhs and Sehaj/akhand Paath with langar and bhog before such life events , this is done in the name of the shaheeds , I understand nanake is near where ghallugarah happened .

Yes I am jatt.  Yeah it's my ancestors shrine and my family in India visit it everyday. They also go there before weddings and akand paths. Also during visakhi before they start planting crops they get 5 amritdhari sikhs to sit there and other sangat and prepare langar for them, my family does that. Iv done langar sewa for the 5 sikhs and sangat at my ancestors shrine.

My nanke do the same. The ancestor that the shrine at my nanke is for used to appear in front of my nani! My nani was amritdhari and she used to tell us how baba used to visit! She used to say that he's a singh and is wearing white chola white dastar and has a long white dhari he also has lots if bright light around him. When my nani was close to her death he started appearing more often before her.  He's like my 5× great grand father. When ever my nanke used to have akand path at their home some of the granthis used to say how baba was sitting in the corner and listening to the path too and then he would disappear into thin air.

Sadly my nani was the only amritdhari in the family  no one else has seen baba. 

16 hours ago, Gagan1995 said:

My Family is Saini originally from Jalandhar [ Hot bed of Sainis ] and also Hindus. Even when I was young , there were puja being held in my house , where 15-20 other women would show up and sit in a room doing some hindu puja , I also remember being scarred when I saw a dude coming into the Puja room in a full tiger costume , down on all fours , and some young girl dressed up like a Sita ma or whatever hindu god , I don't remember. My mom also has built a little " mandir " in a closet in our house . She put pics of Guru Nanak along with kali ma and other hindu god pictures and she put red tikka on all photos and lit up little scented candles . When I told her to stop doing this hindu gand , she gets mad . She's also not a fan of Sant Bhinderwala. But this is not a special case, there are many of these hindu-Sikh dual followers in Punjab, which is already down to 58 percent Sikh . Get ready for assimilation , as  so many UP / Biharis Bhaiyyas pour into  Punjab buying up properties. Bandar Chor CM Fat Pig Arminder is too busy complaining to Canada about  Khalistanis and putting Buffet places out of business. 

I think calling these people as general hindus is not correct, as hindus have so many panths such as kabirpanthis and ravidas-panth, with some that have some philosophies similar to sikhi i.e. following nirguna-sarguna nirankaar and not doing idol worship etc. so calling it hindu-gand isn't correct. previously hindu was just a geographical term. From colonial era it's become a hindu"ism" religion term.

1 hour ago, ipledgeblue said:

I think calling these people as general hindus is not correct, as hindus have so many panths such as kabirpanthis and ravidas-panth, with some that have some philosophies similar to sikhi i.e. following nirguna-sarguna nirankaar and not doing idol worship etc. so calling it hindu-gand isn't correct. previously hindu was just a geographical term. From colonial era it's become a hindu"ism" religion term.

I think he is talking about the tasveers and murti pooja mainly and the deep attachment to ritualised reanactment of mythology etc . It is hard to even class Kabir or Ravis Das as Hindus as they rose above the crystallised form produced by brahmanism prevalent in that day

1 minute ago, jkvlondon said:

I think he is talking about the tasveers and murti pooja mainly and the deep attachment to ritualised reanactment of mythology etc . It is hard to even class Kabir or Ravis Das as Hindus as they rose above the crystallised form produced by brahmanism prevalent in that day

but geographically it's easy to class people as hindu. It's when we get to using the corrupted colonial definition of hindu being a follower of hindu"ism", then it's hard to class people as hindu, but everyone is boxed into this corrupted generic term, even sikhs can be boxed in as well and that is problematic due to so many incompatibilities. 

During the days of Bhagats Kabir, Ravi Dass, and the 10 Gurus -  there was no such thing as HINDUISM", regardless of brahmin influences or not. Hinduism just did not exist back then, just a few centuries back.

1 hour ago, ipledgeblue said:

but geographically it's easy to class people as hindu. It's when we get to using the corrupted colonial definition of hindu being a follower of hindu"ism", then it's hard to class people as hindu, but everyone is boxed into this corrupted generic term, even sikhs can be boxed in as well and that is problematic due to so many incompatibilities. 

During the days of Bhagats Kabir, Ravi Dass, and the 10 Gurus -  there was no such thing as HINDUISM", regardless of brahmin influences or not. Hinduism just did not exist back then, just a few centuries back.

Guru Nanak DEv ji was known as Wali Hind in muslim circles so hind was used to describe the country by people who didn't have much knowledge of it. However even the mughals recogised that Guru Sahiban were not Hindus religiously as the Brahmins complained about them and even didn't use Hindu as a term much religiously , preferring to say brahmin, rishi, sadhu much like Guru Sahiban it was just as you described as a geographic term for the sub-continent not even the people as people were described as being rajput, Punjabi, Sindhi etc

its since the gorey that the Brahmins learnt to misuse the word India to retranslate it to hindustan ...then to mean land of hindus .

9 hours ago, puzzled said:

The only odd thing my family does is that we have a "khoo di jagga" in india lol. its one of our ancestors tomb/samadh and my family believe in it, my nanke have their own while my dads side have their own.  When i go india i go to our jaggah as well lol   we just bow down to it. 

Is that why people light divas at wells/khoos/water taps in Punjab?? Last time I went to Punjab, during night itd be all quiet and nobody else to be seen, but then thered be a diva lit near the water tap on the main road. & I think I also heard people pray there when a newborn son is born, do you guys follow that?

12 hours ago, Preeet said:

Is that why people light divas at wells/khoos/water taps in Punjab?? Last time I went to Punjab, during night itd be all quiet and nobody else to be seen, but then thered be a diva lit near the water tap on the main road. & I think I also heard people pray there when a newborn son is born, do you guys follow that?

A lot of jatts have ancestral shrines in their fields by the khoo , some have them built in the corner outside their house but mostly in the fields. So at night that why you might see divas in the fields.   My cousins go there everyday and light a diva    but at special occasions they get sikhs and other locals to sit there and prepare langar for them. They even keep akand paths there. But yeah ...

7 hours ago, puzzled said:

It's clearly a practice which jatts were doing before they were included within the fold of sikhi, and I guess they just continued doing it ...

Not only Jatts but Khatris, Rajputs and Tarkhans practice it as well.