Sign in to follow this  
SikhSeeker

Looking to Move to Canada/ Sikh Schools

WJJK WJKF

I would like some info on moving to Canada. Im looking to move there from UK and wanted to know where would anyone recommend is the best area. I wanted my kids to go to a Sikh school so im basically looking at that as my main place to stay along with good Sikh Sangat for my family. Which Sikh schools are generally rated highly?

thanks

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, and Winnipeg all have Sikh schools. Generally high ranked as well. Vancouver & Toronto have huge Sikh communities, but expensive. Edmonton & Calgary have large Sikh communities as well, but economy a bit slow right now. Winnipeg is cheapest, growing Sikh community, but still have several 20%+ Sikh population neighborhoods. In other words, you have all the options you need. 

17 hours ago, SikhSeeker said:

WJJK WJKF

I would like some info on moving to Canada. Im looking to move there from UK and wanted to know where would anyone recommend is the best area. I wanted my kids to go to a Sikh school so im basically looking at that as my main place to stay along with good Sikh Sangat for my family. Which Sikh schools are generally rated highly?

thanks

Surrey BC or near surrounding areas would be your best bet. I reckon the ratio of sikh sardar's to a brown face is the highest. BTW. I came from UK after checking out Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 7:42 PM, Big_Tera said:

Why do you want to become a Canadian and what are you running from?  

Just would like to move it has appealed to me for sometime. But yea there are issues here which I would like to get away from

37 minutes ago, SikhSeeker said:

Just would like to move it has appealed to me for sometime. But yea there are issues here which I would like to get away from

Its not the place it is the person. If you are not happy right now in this present time. What makes you think you will be happy if you move. 

If you are happy then it does not matter where you live. As you will be happy no matter where your home is. 

However if your moving ie for better job prospects/career, housing, then that is different. Nothing wrong in wanting to move to a better neighbourhood. But you have to move for thw right reasons. 

Edited by Big_Tera
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 3:53 PM, Big_Tera said:

Its not the place it is the person. If you are not happy right now in this present time. What makes you think you will be happy if you move. 

If you are happy then it does not matter where you live. As you will be happy no matter where your home is. 

However if your moving ie for better job prospects/career, housing, then that is different. Nothing wrong in wanting to move to a better neighbourhood. But you have to move for thw right reasons. 

Bumping this up.

Am thinking myself of moving from the UK to somewhere in North America as there is more land/open spaces, and some places a lot better weather (I dislike winters in UK). 

And, weather can have a big impact on mood unless you are a complete Chardhi kala person. 

22 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Bumping this up.

Am thinking myself of moving from the UK to somewhere in North America as there is more land/open spaces, and some places a lot better weather (I dislike winters in UK). 

And, weather can have a big impact on mood unless you are a complete Chardhi kala person. 

move into Canada, don't go to USA the healthcare there is extortion!

Guest GuestSingh
On 7/21/2019 at 11:58 AM, Premi5 said:

Bumping this up.

more open land/space but wud tht mean less sangat around u?

prefer bein on my own myself but sometimes its nice to have folk around u especially if theyre gd sangat which isnt easy to find.

On 7/21/2019 at 3:58 AM, Premi5 said:

Bumping this up.

If u have kids and moving to canada. Be careful not to move to a city with panjabi gangs. U dont want ur kids to be lead astray. And friends are what land kids in trouble. 

America does have alot more farms and stuff. But where sikh ppl are living, population is rising and suburbs are growing into rural areas. 

About healthcare, thats why its important to get a job with good benefits and insurance. Or just health insurance in general. 

I have heard nightmare stories about the NHS and canadian universal health system...as have all americans so we are very weary of universal healthcare. Although it seems to be the democrats running ticket. 

I'll give you information about some areas I do have knowledge of.

Brampton: Literally filled with indians, has a temple, and a khalsa school however it does suffer from wasteyutes (Drug-use, wannabe thugs, but there is also real singhs of course) in schools but that shouldn't really affect anything unless your kid gets into a fight, it's really expensive to live here though, imo it's safe.

Surrey: This place is infamous for Indo-canadian gangsters and the "Punjabi Mafia" they're still plagued  by the "gang culture" which is also relevant in Brampton to a lesser-extent (With wannabes in Brampton that's not a real threat at all, rarely murder occurs in Brampton), Surrey just has actual gunplay, I believe it's expensive to live there as well, not safe for indo-canadians they carry a "rep" there.

Rexdale: Cheaper to live in because it's a hood that does have actual gang members and gunplay but you shouldn't be affected by it unless you directly get yourself involved, also has a very nice gurdwara, not safe.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/8339801-brampton-stick-beating-victim-has-died-police-release-his-name/

Edited by KhalistanYouth

On 10/1/2018 at 6:48 PM, KhoonKaBadlaKhoon said:

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, and Winnipeg all have Sikh schools. Generally high ranked as well. Vancouver & Toronto have huge Sikh communities, but expensive. Edmonton & Calgary have large Sikh communities as well, but economy a bit slow right now. Winnipeg is cheapest, growing Sikh community, but still have several 20%+ Sikh population neighborhoods. In other words, you have all the options you need. 

From this I'd say OP should move to Edmonton or Calgary, or Winnipeg. 

The other area's are infested with "thugs"