Hindu Jat

Big_Tera

19 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Well I am a Brahmin origin Sikh. You dont come across many Brahmin Sikhs but a sizable group exists.

But I dont believe in the caste system and dont consider the Brahmins the highest caste even though I am one.

There are a lot of 'Brahmin Sikhs' in Leeds but they tend to follow both religions.

2 hours ago, Redoptics said:

There are a lot of 'Brahmin Sikhs' in Leeds but they tend to follow both religions.

That is the thing. Brahmins dont have a high status in Sikh punjabi community. But In Hinduism they are seen as the highest. 

Not many perceived high caste became Sikhs as they had nothing to gain in terms of their status and life. 

Most people who became Sikh came from the lower so "called castes" as they had everything to gain from a new religion and identity. 

So , saini, kamboj, jat, chamaar, ect were all percived as low caste by the hindu system so wanted to become free of their low caste status within the indian varna ranking.  Hence joined Sikhi in large numbers. 

Thats why hindu jat still remain a downtrodden lot. As they are still percived as low in india. And muslim jat are also considered low in pakistan.

But all this cast business is in the past now. Now everyone is more equal and no one really believes in it anymore apart from hardliners. 

2 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

That is the thing. Brahmins dont have a high status in Sikh punjabi community. But In Hinduism they are seen as the highest. 

Not many perceived high caste became Sikhs as they had nothing to gain in terms of their status and life. 

Most people who became Sikh came from the lower so "called castes" as they had everything to gain from a new religion and identity. 

So , saini, kamboj, jat, chamaar, ect were all percived as low caste by the hindu system so wanted to become free of their low caste status within the indian varna ranking.  Hence joined Sikhi in large numbers. 

Thats why hindu jat still remain a downtrodden lot. As they are still percived as low in india. And muslim jat are also considered low in pakistan. 

A lot of Sikhs refer to them as 'Bar men' or 'Pundits' in my generation caste is running wild, but the generation below seem to have calmed down in regards to caste, I hope.

15 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

But all this cast business is in the past now. Now everyone is more equal and no one really believes in it anymore apart from hardliners. 

It's interesting to note that dasmesh pita had a few Brahmin Singhs (like the Chibbers), it's even more interesting to note that some actually died fighting as warriors in the early Khalsa battles. 

BTW, there are A LOT of people who still believe in caste strongly amongst our lot. I think it is attenuating in the UK, but it is far from eradicated.