Jump to content
dallysingh101

The Sikh Revolution by Jagjit Singh

Recommended Posts

This Is one of the best books out there when it comes to describing the revolutionary achievements of Sikhi in relation to caste during the early days of the Khalsa. It's essential reading in my opinion. Hope some people learn from it:

http://www.globalsikhstudies.net/pdf/Sikh_Revolution.pdf

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 8:59 PM, GuestSingh12345 said:

i'll read it when i'm done my exams,do you have more recommendations to add to my reading list,if so can you please share. 

Get this one done and I'll find some more for you after if you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AjeetSingh2019

If you are the artist formerly known as AjeetSinghPunjabi. I just refreshed myself on this book after a good few years. I remember you asking about how Sikhi is different from 'Hinduism'. I think this book does a top class job of highlighting that. You might want to give it a go. 

Start from chapter 7 onwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2020 at 12:51 AM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

You should post on what's happening. Rarely even come to this section. 

People who read should jump into this section now and then. You might find some gems? Did you read the book? What did you think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

People who read should jump into this section now and then. You might find some gems? Did you read the book? What did you think? 

I would like to read it.

where can I get a paper copy ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

People who read should jump into this section now and then. You might find some gems? Did you read the book? What did you think? 

I didnt. But to be honest, i dont want to either. All my life I have been told how great sikhi is and how it was first religion to be egalitarian. First i read accounts by our own people. But they seem like bragging. Then theres accounts by british and muslims about how brave and amazing we were. 

But after awhile it just becomes wish fulfillment.  Especially after the reality. My own father who taught me these sikhi ideals is a big jatt casteist and a ruthless business man and a badal supporter. He had to realize to succeed in life, ideals dont help (not without lots of bhagti).

I know sikhi was meant to he great. And its teachings are amazing. But what if you just want to be normal? What if ur too weak to follow that path? 

And what if the rest of the world has already implemented all of sikhi ideals leaving the sikhs laughably behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

I didnt. But to be honest, i dont want to either. All my life I have been told how great sikhi is and how it was first religion to be egalitarian. First i read accounts by our own people. But they seem like bragging. Then theres accounts by british and muslims about how brave and amazing we were. 

But after awhile it just becomes wish fulfillment.  Especially after the reality. My own father who taught me these sikhi ideals is a big jatt casteist and a ruthless business man and a badal supporter. He had to realize to succeed in life, ideals dont help (not without lots of bhagti).

I know sikhi was meant to he great. And its teachings are amazing. But what if you just want to be normal? What if ur too weak to follow that path? 

And what if the rest of the world has already implemented all of sikhi ideals leaving the sikhs laughably behind. 

if you are too weak you lean on Guru ji and follow his footprints to avoid the landmines of life .  If you look closely the world has not even implemented as far as the Guru Sahiban have shown us as basic needs of the people, wildlife, nature  and planet .  We are meant to work hard to illustrate how the model is supposed to work. I'm sorry you father has tripped up and gotten into caste egotism but that was never a part of sikhi . SIKHI IS GREAT, WE ARE NOT ...YET ..  the fault lies with us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

if you are too weak you lean on Guru ji and follow his footprints to avoid the landmines of life.

So it's only those who can't bear the tribulations of life who seek refuge in the Guru? What of those people who overcome life's cruelties and emerge as stronger people without even knowing the existence of a Guru? Are they now greater than the Guru?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • There's 12 year-old boys driving cars in some parts of Punjab. It's been going on for ages. It's not widespread but it happens. I'm impressed yet horrified at the same time. 
    • Driving lesson in Punjab LOL. The guy driving is a Punjabi driving instructor from Wolverhampton, he does mock test videos on youtube.      This driving lesson and test took place in Phagwara.     
    • nice little bit of history, The Times 1841 mentions Maharani Chand Kaur becoming the queen.    Chand Kaur was the wife of Maharaja Kharak Singh. A few hours after Kharak Singh died their son Nau Nihal Singh, next in line to become Maharaja also died. The whole thing most likely was a planned murder, Kharak Singh was poisoned while Nau Nihal Singh was murdered. It most likely was planned by the dogras, other families that apposed Ranjit Singh and probabaly some of Maharaja Sher Singhs men as well.  Soon after Nau Nihal Singh died Sher Singh proclaimed himself Maharaja, Chand Kaur the widow of Kharak Singh and mother Nau Nihal Singh challenged Sher Singh with the claim that her dead son Nau Nihal Singhs wife Sahib Kaur is expecting a baby and till the baby is not born she will sit on the throne, therefore Maharani Chand Kaur sat on the throne in Lahore. Brave woman for standing up to the giants of the Sikh empire! She also managed to get a big % of the Sikh army on her side.  Tragically when Sahib Kaur did give birth it was a still born baby. Maharaja Sher Singh then did not wait any longer when he heard of the still birth and marched with his troops towards Lahore fort. Chand Kaur refused to give up her title and the city broke into civil war. Eventually Chand Kaur and her forces had no choice but to surrender and leave Lahore fort. Sher Singh then became Maharaja. The Times 1841 mentioning Chand Kaur becoming queen.
    • maharaja ranjit singh with maharani mehtab kaur   Maharani Chand Kaur  wife of Maharaja Kharak Singh 
    • lmao      it aint a recent phenomena 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use