Asking someone what faith they belong to

Big_Tera

5 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Some people from a Sikh background don't like acknowledging the religion of their ancestors. I think, in their minds, it undermines the belief they've been fed that religion is unimportant, and that character, personality, and integrity are paramount.

Because of our history we are worth something.

3 hours ago, Wicked Warrior said:

In the UK, religion has been belittled and hidden. Not allowed to wear crosses if you’re christian. Not allowed to talk about religion if you’re in some sort of profession. It’s all secularised.

Yeah even in other countries. In French schools it is banned to wear any sort of religious sign, so us lot would have to make a Sikh school.

54 minutes ago, RajKaregaKhalsa1 said:

Because of our history we are worth something.

That doesn't explain why some apne get visibly agitated when they're put on the spot and made to identify their allegiance. There's even a certain amount of hesitance and shame, although I can't imagine why. So, if such people were appreciative that due to our history "we are worth something," then shouldn't they be pleased to identify as Sikh? Why is it acceptable to downplay one's religious allegiance?

1 minute ago, MisterrSingh said:

That doesn't explain why some apne get visibly agitated when they're put on the spot and made to identify their allegiance. There's even a certain amount of hesitance and shame, although I can't imagine why. So, if such people were appreciative that due to our history "we are worth something," then shouldn't they be pleased to identify as Sikh? Why is it acceptable to downplay one's religious allegiance?

I was completely agreeing with you Bhaji about people not wanting to talk about their History because they want think that religion is unimportant. I was just saying because of our Guru Sahiban we are worth something.

31 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Maybe they chose not to be sikh ...

47 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Maybe they chose not to be sikh ...

Nah, that's not what I was getting at. These people partake in the ceremony and ritual of it; they bask in the glow of being vaguely associated with Sikhi. But once you lean on them a little bit, or even suggest they nail their colours to the mast in even the most superficial way, they get very uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

Nah, that's not what I was getting at. These people partake in the ceremony and ritual of it; they bask in the glow of being vaguely associated with Sikhi. But once you lean on them a little bit, or even suggest they nail their colours to the mast in even the most superficial way, they get very uncomfortable.

Maybe sikhi is cultural thing for them?  like a a lot of Christians many Sikhs go gurdwara every sunday because its a traditional thing to do every sunday morning.

I think Sikh has become an umbrella term for many different categories of sikhs. You have cultural sikhs, atheist sikhs, sunday sikhs, nagar kirtan sikhs, diwali firework sikhs, rakhri sikhs, feminist equality sikhs etc    

So its hard to know which type of Sikh someone is, they all identify with sikhism in different ways lol 

1 hour ago, puzzled said:

Maybe sikhi is cultural thing for them?  like a a lot of Christians many Sikhs go gurdwara every sunday because its a traditional thing to do every sunday morning.

I think Sikh has become an umbrella term for many different categories of sikhs. You have cultural sikhs, atheist sikhs, sunday sikhs, nagar kirtan sikhs, diwali firework sikhs, rakhri sikhs, feminist equality sikhs etc    

So its hard to know which type of Sikh someone is, they all identify with sikhism in different ways lol 

That's what I was getting at.