Wearing red

puzzled

1 hour ago, puzzled said:

In tankhanama by bhai nand lal ji it says a gursikh should not wear red?  Why is this?   I read how red also symbolises evil thoughts and attachment and love for the world in gurbani.

So are we supposed to take this literally? 

I think its because historically, Muslims/mughals adopted the colour green but the important colour for Hindu's is Red. I'm pretty sure the British wore red as well. However Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj selected the colour Blue. This had practical reasons too since in battle if a Singh was injured the blood would just look like sweat (Thats what I was told from a Katha) so therefore would be less targeted. I don't know much about this but this is just my guess.

Bhull Chuk Maaf

53 minutes ago, GuestKaur2 said:

I think its because historically, Muslims/mughals adopted the colour green but the important colour for Hindu's is Red. I'm pretty sure the British wore red as well. However Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj selected the colour Blue. This had practical reasons too since in battle if a Singh was injured the blood would just look like sweat (Thats what I was told from a Katha) so therefore would be less targeted. I don't know much about this but this is just my guess.

Bhull Chuk Maaf

yeah i also read how the hill rajas that attacked anandpur sahib also wore red clothes under their Armour. 

2 hours ago, puzzled said:

In tankhanama by bhai nand lal ji it says a gursikh should not wear red?  Why is this?   I read how red also symbolises evil thoughts and attachment and love for the world in gurbani.

So are we supposed to take this literally? 

It may be a leftover thing from Banda Singh Bahadur's time. Bhangu (in Panth Prakash) states that Banda Singh made some changes that some other Singhs objected to as deviating from dasmesh pita's established ordinances or traditions. One was changing the colour of the Khalsa uniform from blue to red. 

?????

48 minutes ago, GuestKaur2 said:

I don't really own red clothes anyway so its not a problem for me, I used to own a red cap but I don't wear it anymore either because we're not meant to wear hats etc.

same, i think i have a red t shirt but i dont wear it, i have one hoodie but its like a very dark maroon.

its odd how the traditional colour for punjabi brides is red, when were not actually supposed to wear that. 

2 minutes ago, puzzled said:

same, i think i have a red t shirt but i dont wear it, i have one hoodie but its like a very dark maroon.

its odd how the traditional colour for punjabi brides is red, when were not actually supposed to wear that. 

Yeah blue is way nicer lol

2 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

It may be a leftover thing from Banda Singh Bahadur's time. Bhangu (in Panth Prakash) states that Banda Singh made some changes that some other Singhs objected to as deviating from dasmesh pita's established ordinances or traditions. One was changing the colour of the Khalsa uniform from blue to red. 

?????

yeah i read that as well!  apparently banda singh bahadir started making his own laws and adopted the colour red. 

if this is true then he moved away from guru jis path!   i have heard this stuff about him before but dont know how true it is 

5 minutes ago, puzzled said:

i have one hoodie but its like a very dark maroon.

Yeah same but I don't think it classes as red

2 minutes ago, puzzled said:

yeah i read that as well!  apparently banda singh bahadir started making his own laws and adopted the colour red. 

if this is true then he moved away from guru jis path!   i have heard this stuff about him before but dont know how true it is 

I've never actually heard that before.. Interesting lol