Can Sikhs Celebrate Birthdays?

Do sikhs celebrate their own birthdays? Are they allowed? Do amritdhari Sikhs do it? Can sikhs eat cakes?

Why?

Edited by Guest

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I hate birthdays. I'm not a birthday person and i don't celebrate mine, Nd I hate going to others birthday celebrations.  The whole thing is cheesy 

I don't understand why Indians spoon feed each other on birthdays and celebrations, i find that really annoying. 

I like cakes though 

Meh. I was in my midteens when I realised the futility of birthday celebrations. It’s more important to commemorate how many years of naam simran and seva has been done. But even then, these things should be kept gupt. 

There's a huge difference between allowing a birthday to pass without celebration for reasons of being non-plussed about the whole thing, and then on the other end of the spectrum there's making a spectacle about how incredibly pious and spiritually inclined one is for spurning these "base" occasions in life that other un-enlightened souls seem to celebrate with relish. Guess which faction most of our pakhandis belong to, lol? 

Can sikhs eat cakes? 🤭 You eat gulab jaman while I'm having a bite of that tripple chocolate with vanilla ice cream.

• Like 1

Being spiritual doesn't mean we have to be glum.

Enjoy life, be happy , look at the wonderous nature around you.

Make a cake, get your close family around you, recite the names of the Gurus and Shahids and cut the cake.

Celebrate the fact that you have been given a human life.

Celebrate the fact that you are born in a Sikh family.

Celebrate the fact that you are following the path of your Guru.

Celebrate the fact that your father is Guru Gobind Singh Ji, your mother is Mata Sahib Kaur Ji and you are from Anandpur Sahib.

Why wouldn't you celebrate your birthday ?

• Like 1

Apparantly when i was 1 years old my family celebrated my birthday in a gurdwara with cake and invited all of the relatives.

Is that even allowed???

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, NonExistant said:

Apparantly when i was 1 years old my family celebrated my birthday in a gurdwara with cake and invited all of the relatives.

Is that even allowed???

Good intentions, sharing sincere happy moments are allowed everywhere, sins nowhere, be it Gurdwara.

8 minutes ago, Wicked Warrior said:

It was your first birthday. Your parents wanted to celebrate this moment with Guru Ji. What’s wrong with that?

Like isnt that against some kind of gurdwara maryada to have a birthday of some random person in a gurdwara.

I don't think sikhs did this kind of stuff in puratan times.

Edited by Guest

tbh  people in India didn't even celebrate birthdays! ask you grandparents or parents if they celebrated their birthdays? they probably didnt even know it was their birthday. 

Birthdays are a western thing,  nothing wrong with doing it but our ancestors never celebrated them. 

wedding cakes, wedding rings, first dance, valentines day, wearing black on funerals, baby showers, Christmas trees etc are all western 

our ancestors didn't do any of these things 

On 4/6/2019 at 2:01 PM, NonExistant said:

Like isnt that against some kind of gurdwara maryada to have a birthday of some random person in a gurdwara

Which maryada?

Puzzled is correct that birthdays were not celebrated or even recorded. My dadi ji was from the pind and back then no one recorded anything. She does not know when she was born. Her age is 89 based on her passport but even that is an estimate and she could be older or younger. 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:25 AM, puzzled said:

tbh  people in India didn't even celebrate birthdays! ask you grandparents or parents if they celebrated their birthdays? they probably didnt even know it was their birthday. 

Birthdays are a western thing,  nothing wrong with doing it but our ancestors never celebrated them. 

wedding cakes, wedding rings, first dance, valentines day, wearing black on funerals, baby showers, Christmas trees etc are all western 

our ancestors didn't do any of these things 

Your ancestors did not use to computer too to type silly stuff too.LOL

On 3/31/2019 at 3:25 AM, NonExistant said:

Do sikhs celebrate their own birthdays? Are they allowed? Do amritdhari Sikhs do it?

Do they? Probably most do for their children. It would be strange to celebrate a full-grown adult's birthday.

The point is simply that why would you build yourself up? We're told to think of ourselves as insignificant.

Amritdhari Sikhs celebrating their own birthdays would be a farce.

On 3/31/2019 at 3:25 AM, NonExistant said:

Can sikhs eat cakes?

As in vegetarian? I don't see why not, as long as you're not sharing from the same plate with someone not following rehit.