Jump to content
kidsama

Don't call yourself a Sikh if you eat meat.

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, kidsama said:

I went back and did they were alright..

And the main focus of this post is the Identity of Sikh vs actually practicing Sikhi, and I am using meat as an example. Make sense? 

Really then number one is Naam Simran. Accepting Hukam. Nitnem and Sehajpath. Living breathing, seeing Shabad. We can encourage each other and perhaps non veg will decide one day to be veg. But we should build each other up ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh @kidsama you said you were new. Welcome. There is sort of an ebb flow to this site. Sometimes serious issues the community and world face are discussed. Sometimes deeply profound discussion on various principles or passages of Gurbani. Sometimes its gossip about celebs and politicians and us fighting with each other like children. BUT. If you google any serious question about Sikhia there is almost always a multiperspective thread here about it and there is no denying some very sincere and informative Sikhs are here and have always been here, but also an ever developing archive of legitimate information...intetspersed with ...rediculousness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 5:41 PM, GurjantGnostic said:

No dude makes perfect sense. You can all climb off your "You're going to hell" box now. It is 100% waspy and in poor form, especially when y'all get all happy about it. Like cut out the heavy mouth breathing. Even IF you were right, which you're not, you don't need to be so damn happy with damnation. 

I never mentioned anything about hell.  So, I'm go talk to a wall because it will understand more than you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 2:42 AM, kidsama said:

I went back and did they were alright..

And the main focus of this post is the Identity of Sikh vs actually practicing Sikhi, and I am using meat as an example. Make sense? 

I know penji. I have had this debate too in the past. Everybody has their own views. Our religion has been messed up badly. Therefore it will take some time or generations to put it back together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the main criteria for entry into heaven or mukti is not specifically defined as non meat eating. I think Guru ji has made this rule specifically for kalyug where the quality of meat is on a decline and the cause of major illnesses. 

All religions have some sort of similarity. At the end of the day survival on this planet is crutial if you are to earn your place in the darga. Vich duniya sev kamaiye ta dharge besan paiye. 

Only Hinduism specifically says meat is to be avoided. However a person who is closer to God would not want to hurt or destroy another animal hence adding to their lekha. This is why a Sikh who is closer to God makes a personal choice to avoid meat. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol it's funny admin didn't try and close this thread, but just held both hands together.

 

bani is not against meat and even makes the argument foolish.

 

Also to badmouth Nihang Singhs of Budha Dal And Tarna Dal, when the Guru jis also hunted from Guru Hargobind jee jis was regular practise. 

 

Read all the rehitnamas and Gurbani before making manmatti claims of what a sikh can and cannot eat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ipledgeblue said:

lol it's funny admin didn't try and close this thread, but just held both hands together.

 

bani is not against meat and even makes the argument foolish.

 

Also to badmouth Nihang Singhs of Budha Dal And Tarna Dal, when the Guru jis also hunted from Guru Hargobind jee jis was regular practise. 

 

Read all the rehitnamas and Gurbani before making manmatti claims of what a sikh can and cannot eat!

u dumb from all sides. They hunted animals, yes, but NEVER DID THEY EAT them. You are beyond foolish and unknowingly committing a sin, saying that Guru Ji's ate the flesh of animals. All the animals they hunted are recorded and each one is hunted for a reason, to settle past accounts and ultimately grant them mukti. 

Guru Har Rai went hunting as well, he captured old, sick, or injured animals, treated them and then again released them in the wild. Guru Har Rai only killed if an animal was in intense suffering and beyond recovery. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kidsama said:

u dumb from all sides. They hunted animals, yes, but NEVER DID THEY EAT them. You are beyond foolish and unknowingly committing a sin, saying that Guru Ji's ate the flesh of animals. All the animals they hunted are recorded and each one is hunted for a reason, to settle past accounts and ultimately grant them mukti. 

Guru Har Rai went hunting as well, he captured old, sick, or injured animals, treated them and then again released them in the wild. Guru Har Rai only killed if an animal was in intense suffering and beyond recovery. 

 

This is in Bani?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ਕਬੀਰ ਖੂਬੁ ਖਾਨਾ ਖੀਚਰੀ ਜਾ ਮਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਲੋਨੁ 
Kabeer, the dinner of beans and rice is excellent, if it is flavored with salt.
 
ਹੇਰਾ ਰੋਟੀ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਗਲਾ ਕਟਾਵੈ ਕਉਨੁ ॥੧੮੮॥
Who would cut his throat, to have meat with his bread? ||188||
 

Ang 1374

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ਜੀਅ ਬਧਹੁ ਸੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਅਧਰਮੁ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਤ ਭਾਈ 
You kill living beings, and call it a righteous action. Tell me, brother, what would you call an unrighteous action?
 
ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਮੁਨਿਵਰ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਕਾ ਕਉ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਸਾਈ ॥੨॥
You call yourself the most excellent sage; then who would you call a butcher? ||2||

Ang 1102

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤੀ 
Prabhaatee:
ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ  ਬਿਚਾਰੈ 
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.
ਜਉ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਏਕੁ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਕਹਤ ਹਉ ਤਉ ਕਿਉ ਮੁਰਗੀ ਮਾਰੈ ॥੧॥
You say that the One Lord is in all, so why do you kill chickens? ||1||
ਮੁਲਾਂ ਕਹਹੁ ਨਿਆਉ ਖੁਦਾਈ 
O Mullah, tell me: is this God's Justice?
ਤੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਕਾ ਭਰਮੁ  ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ 
The doubts of your mind have not been dispelled. ||1||Pause||
ਪਕਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਆਨਿਆ ਦੇਹ ਬਿਨਾਸੀ ਮਾਟੀ ਕਉ ਬਿਸਮਿਲਿ ਕੀਆ 
You seize a living creature, and then bring it home and kill its body; you have killed only the clay.
ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪ ਅਨਾਹਤ ਲਾਗੀ ਕਹੁ ਹਲਾਲੁ ਕਿਆ ਕੀਆ ॥੨॥
The light of the soul passes into another form. So tell me, what have you killed? ||2||
ਕਿਆ ਉਜੂ ਪਾਕੁ ਕੀਆ ਮੁਹੁ ਧੋਇਆ ਕਿਆ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਸਿਰੁ ਲਾਇਆ 
And what good are your purifications? Why do you bother to wash your face? And why do you bother to bow your head in the mosque?
ਜਉ ਦਿਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਪਟੁ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਹੁ ਕਿਆ ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਇਆ ॥੩॥
Your heart is full of hypocrisy; what good are your prayers or your pilgrimage to Mecca? ||3||
ਤੂੰ ਨਾਪਾਕੁ ਪਾਕੁ ਨਹੀ ਸੂਝਿਆ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਮਰਮੁ  ਜਾਨਿਆ 
You are impure; you do not understand the Pure Lord. You do not know His Mystery.
ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਭਿਸਤਿ ਤੇ ਚੂਕਾ ਦੋਜਕ ਸਿਉ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੪॥੪॥
Says Kabeer, you have missed out on paradise; your mind is set on hell. ||4||4||
 

Ang 1350

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean about Guru Har Rai Ji hunting etc. 

On a side note, the entire Fauj that had to eat their horses weren't Sikhs and went to hell huh?

By all means somebody else make a new account and chime in on this duplicate, supposedly closed topic. Preferably ignore anyone not echoing your "going to hell" mantra and chop up some Beautiful Bani out of context and then rest on your laurels smug knowing you're the only true sikh. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The above gurbani quotes show a Sikh cannot eat meat. Sab sikhan Ko hukham hai guru maniyo Granth. 

Even in shabad ਮਾਸੁ ਮਾਸੁ ਕਰਿ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਝਗੜੇ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਣੈ 

the last pangti is

 

ਏਤੇ ਰਸ ਛੋਡਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੰਨਿਆਸੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਕਹੈ ਵਿਚਾਰਾ ॥੨॥
Forsaking these delicacies, one becomes a true Sannyaasee, a detached hermit. Nanak reflects and speaks. ||2||

So Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji gives only one direction in terms of eating meat, that is you can't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I mean about Guru Har Rai Ji hunting etc. 

On a side note, the entire Fauj that had to eat their horses weren't Sikhs and went to hell huh?

By all means somebody else make a new account and chime in on this duplicate, supposedly closed topic. Preferably ignore anyone not echoing your "going to hell" mantra and chop up some Beautiful Bani out of context and then rest on your laurels smug knowing you're the only true sikh. 

 

veer ji, ik you are smart enough to know the difference between an helpless situation and eating meat out of choice, so why do you bring that up? 

As for Guru Har Rai ji hunting etc, it's obviously not in SGGS. The huntings are recorded in Twarikh Guru Khalsa and also in Dasam Granth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use