Upanishads

puzzled

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, puzzled said:

Another ancient scripture is chanakya Neti  which I think is about warfare and I thibk guru gobind singh ji asked one of his poets to translate it. 

Saam, Daam , Dand, Bhed 

18 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

1) Why do we not read smaller matras in baani . for eg :

ਸਿਮਰਉ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵਉ ॥
is read as "simrau simar simar sukh pavau" , why not as "simrau simari simari sukhu pavau"  

Some people do pronounce the small matras. It's not a debate that I want to get into right now, but people have different opinions on that. Taksal, for the most part, does pronounce these matras.

18 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

please don't tell me the aunkad means singular . doesn't make sense.

It does (usually) mean singular. Just look at the places that there is an aunkad and where there isn't. That doesn't mean you're not supposed to pronounce it or not. That's a separate matter.

8 hours ago, BhForce said:

Some people do pronounce the small matras. It's not a debate that I want to get into right now, but people have different opinions on that. Taksal, for the most part, does pronounce these matras.

like pronounce it properly ? that would make a huge diff in the way baani sounds. so please tell me more

One thing,  upanishads say that when you love someone you love the "self" god in them.  To my understanding sikhi says the opposite, that when you love some one  it's just attachment and that you love their traits and qualities. Which isn't love but illusion. 

Love for your family in sikhi is just moh?   While upanishads say love for your family is not love for the people but love for god within them.  

Another derailed topic!

If you really want to learn from any scripture then you have to understand its original language in which it was spoken/delivered. Don't get lost in the translations.

If you read Gurbaani and follow the teachings of SatGuru Nanak then I would try to learn from Gurbaani before getting into Upanishads.