Sign in to follow this  
dallysingh101

Lascars, Maharajah Duleep Singh and Maharani Sophia

Been reading Anita Anand's book on Sophia, who was Maharajah Ranjit Singh's granddaughter. Here's an interesting excerpt regarding the treatment of lascars, who were essentially hired sailors, many of whom came from Panjab. It's interesting to note how M. Duleep Singh, who is commonly characterised as some hedonistic fool in white literature, tried to help these very ill-treated people (before the anglo establishment attacked him), and how his daughter subsequently did so much for these people too:

1j.jpg.e0c39faaf1f6d9382d4aa64478b3d714.jpg2j.thumb.jpg.280351aa2835ea4c0d79bfeadc23b772.jpg3j.thumb.jpg.dee25f616467ac66fcf6931146970f9e.jpg4j.thumb.jpg.71422fda86c7ac63dfbd417bad24e149.jpg5j.jpg.859a8f3499bb0a2c381923fd77f167d7.jpg

Forum members make me laugh. You'll waffle on about any crap but come some hitherto unknown, important historical information - you've got nothing to say........

iv got this book at home but havent read the whole thing. iv read up to to the part where she goes punjab and then comes back. her father so far in the book is a rubbish father. completely neglected her and her siblings and his wife. his wife died lonely, abandoned and an alcoholic, and he spent his all his money on gambling and whores  and its got nothing to do with victoria,   he chose to neglect his family and spend money at brothels.     from what i remember reading he hardly spent any time with his kids and sent them a letter once or twice a year.

i have read the lascars part or the whole suffragette part.    

The only difference from what I read above, in comparison to slave ships from Africa, is that the goray didn't have women to rape on the ships. 

From the snaps you posted, Anita seems like a good author. That was smart to talk about the lascar plight and history before bringing in Sophia's efforts. 

British and American people seem to have treated everyone badly from the indentured Irish, african slaves, to asian immigrants. 

While I think it may have had to do with race. I think it also has to do with the times. The british also treated their sailors pretty badly what with impressment and beatings, not to mention the lower classes in the factories and workhouses. 

I think it was due to greed (everyone was trying to become rich through exploitation  so having a conscious could be costly), tough times (famines and overcrowding) and also a sense of superiority (upper class hatred middle class for being too mercenery, The middle class hated the low class for being too loose with morals (thievery, single moms)

I am glad that Sophia helped her country folk regardless of religion and caste and status. (Although despite what you say about duleep singh, he did seem to forget about the lascars) But I wonder if we Sikhs wouldnt have been just as bad as the british if we had an empire that lasted. I mean so far in panjab, we have failed to improve the infrastructure, sanitation, and equality due to greed, exploitation, and superiority due to caste and 'morals'

13 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

But I wonder if we Sikhs wouldnt have been just as bad as the british if we had an empire that lasted.

Would of been corrupt like any other of the royals today.  Plus it probably would of been kept in the family  so descendants of maharaja ranjit singh would of been maharaja  and hogged most of pubjabs wealth for themselves.  

I think if a sikh empire were to come back then rather than a maharaja  maybe 5 pyare could be the heads 

On 1/24/2020 at 3:13 AM, puzzled said:

Would of been corrupt like any other of the royals today.  Plus it probably would of been kept in the family  so descendants of maharaja ranjit singh would of been maharaja  and hogged most of pubjabs wealth for themselves.  

I think if a sikh empire were to come back then rather than a maharaja  maybe 5 pyare could be the heads 

Localized Anarcho-self-determined Jathabandi elected representatives collaborating globally. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• too many organisation abound and zero coordination as shown in that video I posted about sikh NGOs meeting with authorities in Ludhiana , need was for langar for 100,000 but food for 500,000 was being made on daily basis in this time of hardship, then it was being givem to the same group of people in the same 4 locations by sikhs going one group after another. As the Singh says NO ONE is dying of hunger in the towns as those same labourers are being given food rations and money by either their bosses or the goverment ON TOP of them grabbing up langar and then 'feeding it to our cows because it makes our kids sick' . wheat crops have failed this year due to combination of hailstorms and curfew only 30 % yield , we are wheat eaters  and what is the state government's response ? Not save stored grain for state population but to send 20 trainloads out of Punjab to other states who also have their own crops to eat. Remember this is the same Ahole who OK'd the deliberate flooding of punjab's fields to disrupt farming yields for 5 Years . Punjabis are literally scared to say/do anything that the hindus may object to even if they are totally merciless in diverting all tax revenues to centre , reduce investment in healthcare to such an extent that there is no way hygiene could be maintained . fake medicines have flooded Punjab's markets killing those in need. Sikhs HAVE TO COORDINATE efforts, resources outside of SGPC/RSS/CONGRESS/Akali  control Gurdwarey have to become property of Guru Panth ONLY and serve the people's needs : educational, medical, spiritual, Fitness and Defence. The days of Langar roadshows have to stop , these politicians will have us expend our last penny and cook our last grain to feed others so that we are brought to our knees. Time to put on our airmasks and help all other sikhs put on theirs . Guru ji did not do langar roadshows he made dharamshaley for those who came to His door; he helped and he didn't help those who could help themselves but expected people to do kirit first and if that failed then rely on langar. Our own people are suffering in the villages behind closed doors , don't see many NGOs worrying about them ... It is a truth that the most money collected for charity is by the sikhs in Uk, Canada  and India   we are talking millions of pounds/dollars and then we also donate time, effort food  on top . If we were  coordinated properly there would be proper use of Golak and no replication of effort and wastage . Quite easily we could build the hospital wards, vet clinics, schools colleges  with  which we could  serve our people and others to free education, healthcare , we could educate the nurses, doctors, scientists, engineers we need , we could give/lend money to farmers to switch to organic farming again and permaculture methods . Water preservation/harvesting could be a major target for sikhs as well since we are being squeezed from all sides for our natural river water. Problem is the wrong people are being listened to .
    • yes dasvandh was only meant to protect the gareeb sikhs from being taken advantage of, doing parchaar of gurbani/sursikhi and running pangat (but history shows that sikhs used to donate seperately for degh and pangat)
    • five years training , five year volunteering then 12 years practice . daily dose of 30 c , that was back while I was training
    • We have two major negative tendencies when dealing with outsiders, that are further magnified when they relate to our collective future or fate as a distinct group. Our history has illustrated these traits on repeated occasions: 1. Lack of vision / big-picture thinking. 2. Trusting the wrong people. There's subgroups within these categories, but generally speaking the above areas is where we end up falling on our faces. Modern or very recent phenomena I've noticed that are worsening are: 3. Paralysis of or the allaying of critical faculties that are required to out-maneuver and avoid the fatal machinations of opposing groups, and thus failing in securing our long-term interests.  4. I've mentioned it before, but we are cultivating a suicidal altruism that masquerades behind a veil of piety, but is actually cowardice and an ingratiating desire to appease others at the expense of our own interests, in the delusional hope that such behaviour on our part will be reciprocated at the appropriate time. It never has or will. Other predatory groups immediately recognise this as weakness. In previous eras, such a tribe would be routed and conquered. In the relative peace of the modern age, this trait becomes a terminal illness that destroys the conscience of a people. It's a slow self-inflicted death Vs a sudden massacre at the hand of an enemy. Same end result, though. 5. A craven desire to be lead and controlled by someone who has been vested with unearned authority. This invariably leads to us accepting leadership and ideas that should be rejected from the outset. Spiritual weakness allows this to occur. A personal theory of mine that I'm developing but is in its tentative stages: 6. We're in danger of reducing Sikhi to a humanist philosophy coloured by contemporary political and social ideologies that has gradually diminished the emphasis on mysticism, which is a direct affront to the very roots of our faith. It's the Anglicisation of the Sikh faith particularly in the West. Obviously, overt superstition and other such tendencies are the other extreme end of the spectrum, and isn't desirable.

Important Information

Terms of Use