Jump to content
genie

Laurence Fox claimed Sikh soldier in Sam Mendes war epic 1917 is ‘forcing diversity’

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

My family defended their illaka and some also saved some sullay (and otherwise), and they didn't have guns. They had shasters though, but great grandpa was a blacksmith, so he probably had good shasters, plus by accounts I've heard he was as strong as an ox from working in the forge. Yeah, a lot of people didn't hand in their bandooks, I think some of them were even used in 1984.

where your family from? mine are from nawanashahr area where hindus/sikhs were majority and lots of muslims were killed there !  my dads chacha was a little boy and he told me he saw it all! he said rows and rows of muslims were set on fire while they were leaving and he said he remembers seeing raped muslims girls hiding in the fields!    really bad!   those were really barbaric times ...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, puzzled said:

where your family from? mine are from nawanashahr area where hindus/sikhs were majority and lots of muslims were killed there !  my dads chacha was a little boy and he told me he saw it all! he said rows and rows of muslims were set on fire while they were leaving and he said he remembers seeing raped muslims girls hiding in the fields!    really bad!   those were really barbaric times ...  

Malwa, from a pend near Ludhiana. Where is Nawanashahr?

Yeah, like I said, what you say above was happening, but apparently my great grandpa with some Jut mate of his marched some of the sullay to some refugee camp. They apparently drew their kirpans out and told the people to follow them and ran to the place, they must have been intimidating enough to put any attackers off. Other family members went the other way apparently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Malwa, from a pend near Ludhiana. Where is Nawanashahr?

Yeah, like I said, what you say above was happening, but apparently my great grandpa with some Jut mate of his marched some of the sullay to some refugee camp. They apparently drew their kirpans out and told the people to follow them and ran to the place, they must have been intimidating enough to put any attackers off. Other family members went the other way apparently. 

yh iv heard many stories of support and humanity as well while all the carnage was taking place 

Nawanshar is in doaba, other side of the sutluj river.  Muslims were outnumbered in doaba so i think doaba was one of the places where they faced the worst.    in my mums pind, when doing farming people used to find boxes of gold that the muslims buried in the fields thinking they will come back. a few muslims got left behind in my mums pind but they were used life slaves and treated really bad!   a lot of the muslims graves were destroyed and people made fields on top of them afterwards. 

but the same things were happening to sikhs and hindus where muslims were the majority. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, puzzled said:

where your family from? mine are from nawanashahr area where hindus/sikhs were majority and lots of muslims were killed there !  my dads chacha was a little boy and he told me he saw it all! he said rows and rows of muslims were set on fire while they were leaving and he said he remembers seeing raped muslims girls hiding in the fields!    really bad!   those were really barbaric times ...  

Doaba was 70 percent muslim during the partition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ranjeet01 said:

Doaba was 70 percent muslim during the partition.

really!!  how comes so many of them got killed off then     maybe they weren't that socially dominant then?   iv heard some horrifying things of what sikhs did with them in the area my family are from.     i know that some areas of jalandhar had big muslim population  areas like nurmahal, nakodar, philaur etc  were mainly muslims        how can i find what the statistics were for nawanashahr? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Doaba was 70 percent muslim during the partition.

where your family from in punjab?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, puzzled said:

really!!  how comes so many of them got killed off then     maybe they weren't that socially dominant then?   iv heard some horrifying things of what sikhs did with them in the area my family are from.     i know that some areas of jalandhar had big muslim population  areas like nurmahal, nakodar, philaur etc  were mainly muslims        how can i find what the statistics were for nawanashahr? 

The muslims of doaba were not big land owners like in West Punjab. They tended to come from the lower stratas of society. 

From what I remember in Jalandhar they lived what are called bustees. 

If you want to ever meet muslims from Jalandhar or Doaba in general, a lot of them moved to what is now Faisalabad in Pakistan. 

Jagsaw is a Doabite and would have far more extensive knowledge on this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a short video from my pindh on youtube. I'm exiled from it after my parents separated, and all the usual land dispute stuff. I learnt a few things from the vid. I'm gonna post it on sikhawareness.com soon. Was interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The muslims of doaba were not big land owners like in West Punjab. They tended to come from the lower stratas of society. 

From what I remember in Jalandhar they lived what are called bustees. 

If you want to ever meet muslims from Jalandhar or Doaba in general, a lot of them moved to what is now Faisalabad in Pakistan. 

Jagsaw is a Doabite and would have far more extensive knowledge on this. 

that makes sense   despite being majority they weren't that dominant.  despite being minority Sikhs do own a lot of the land in rural doaba, while khatris/aroras own most the shops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, puzzled said:

really!!  how comes so many of them got killed off then     maybe they weren't that socially dominant then?   iv heard some horrifying things of what sikhs did with them in the area my family are from.     i know that some areas of jalandhar had big muslim population  areas like nurmahal, nakodar, philaur etc  were mainly muslims        how can i find what the statistics were for nawanashahr? 

The reasons why a lot of things happened to muslims in doaba is because there were refugees pouring in from West Punjab telling all the things that was happening like rape, murder etc so a lot it was retaliation. 

The crazy things that was happening was Sikhs were protecting muslims in their own villages whilst killing muslims in other villages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I am Majhail. But my naneh's nankeh were from Kapurthala. 

oh ok cool   my nanis family were originally from haryana  hisar and rotak       but everyone else is from doaba 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, puzzled said:

that makes sense   despite being majority they weren't that dominant.  despite being minority Sikhs do own a lot of the land in rural doaba, while khatris/aroras own most the shops. 

However, Sikhs were minority in West Punjab but owned huge swathes of land with Hindus owning lots of businesses. 

I think the difference was the Muslims in West Punjab were big land owners and they were quite feudal in nature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

However, Sikhs were minority in West Punjab but owned huge swathes of land with Hindus owning lots of businesses. 

I think the difference was the Muslims in West Punjab were big land owners and they were quite feudal in nature. 

i think most the muslims in west punjab were jatts, rajputs etc  while the ones in east punjab were not.     i think Sikhs and hindus faced the worst in the mirpur areas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, puzzled said:

i think most the muslims in west punjab were jatts, rajputs etc  while the ones in east punjab were not.     i think Sikhs and hindus faced the worst in the mirpur areas 

It all kicked off in Rawalpindi. 

Sikhs in those areas were predominantly Urban Sikhs rather than rural ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Today we have a major issue with Sikh youth walking into university classes like sociology and walking out extremist.  Whether that be feminist extremist or LGBTQ extremist or atheist.  When it comes to Gurbani these groups and people look for lines or a line of Gurbani and take it out of context to support their extremist LGBTQ beliefs on marriage,  gender being same or new thing no gender or infinite gender.  Like we had the ignorant couple from the states who got married by having his wife walk along with him.  The point being they dont follow Guru Sahib.   They attain 'knowledge' else where and want to force it on Sikhi.   The Sikh youth laugh at the Sikhs who bow at a fake baba's feet.  But, the irony is the Gurmukhs are shaking their head at both of them.  One is bowing to a fake baba and the other is bowing their mind by accepting secular knowledge that will always be in the trial phase.  Neither are better than the other.  The youth of today, and it's been done by a few old farts, attain masters or doctorate in fields like chemistry,  sociology or another field and then say we have a doctorate in Sikhi.  They write articles on what they want Sikhi to be and in their name they put "dr.".  Such deception is being done by these old farts.  Sikhi is about honesty, yet they start their article with deception.    If you want to be a Sikh, then Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is the teacher and classroom.  Not your sociology professor who tells you abortion of a 37 week baby is a women birth right choice, but dont kill that cow because imeat industry  is killing the environment,  go vegan.   In short,  dont be the monkey with the wrench. 
    • When it comes to other religious scriptures why did Guru Sahib say to read them? Was it to understand how to be moral? Gurbani provides us with spiritual wisdom and morals of the highest kind. It would be counterproductive to look else where for morals. Guru sahib says, give me your head (completely and only focus on the shabad) when you come on the Gurmat path. Guru Sahib tells sikhs to read other religious scriptures because when a Gurmukh has fully attuned his mind with Gurbani he can see naam everywhere. So when reading other religious scripture the Gurmukh can pick up on the naam that is there and serve the humans that are lost in the vedas, gita, bible, Koran, Torah, etc. Also Gurbani makes references on other religious scriptures concepts so we can achieve a total picture of their concepts when reading their scriptures. But many lose sight of the goal and start collecting merchandise (intellectual knowledge and maya)from these scriptures. But Guru Sahib says all merchandise can be achieved from Gurbani. Anand Sahib says this path is sharper than a double edged sword and finer than a hair.  The path of Gurmat can be simple if we follow the instructions of Gurbani or life can be made difficult by losing the purpose in life as Gurbani describes it.
    • I try to read it once a year. There's a lot to be learned from a human perspective in terms of the morals and the arguments it raises. A person doesn't have to be a Hindophile to glean something meaningful from the text.
    • U r right brother, Raam failed.Infact Gurbani says Vishnu and his avatars r subject to jamm/ kaal.
    • Iv never read mahabharat, iv got it on kindle.  It definitely sounds more interesting.  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use