Sign in to follow this  
genie

Laurence Fox claimed Sikh soldier in Sam Mendes war epic 1917 is ‘forcing diversity’

2 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

My family defended their illaka and some also saved some sullay (and otherwise), and they didn't have guns. They had shasters though, but great grandpa was a blacksmith, so he probably had good shasters, plus by accounts I've heard he was as strong as an ox from working in the forge. Yeah, a lot of people didn't hand in their bandooks, I think some of them were even used in 1984.

where your family from? mine are from nawanashahr area where hindus/sikhs were majority and lots of muslims were killed there !  my dads chacha was a little boy and he told me he saw it all! he said rows and rows of muslims were set on fire while they were leaving and he said he remembers seeing raped muslims girls hiding in the fields!    really bad!   those were really barbaric times ...  

1 minute ago, puzzled said:

where your family from? mine are from nawanashahr area where hindus/sikhs were majority and lots of muslims were killed there !  my dads chacha was a little boy and he told me he saw it all! he said rows and rows of muslims were set on fire while they were leaving and he said he remembers seeing raped muslims girls hiding in the fields!    really bad!   those were really barbaric times ...  

Malwa, from a pend near Ludhiana. Where is Nawanashahr?

Yeah, like I said, what you say above was happening, but apparently my great grandpa with some Jut mate of his marched some of the sullay to some refugee camp. They apparently drew their kirpans out and told the people to follow them and ran to the place, they must have been intimidating enough to put any attackers off. Other family members went the other way apparently. 

11 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Malwa, from a pend near Ludhiana. Where is Nawanashahr?

Yeah, like I said, what you say above was happening, but apparently my great grandpa with some Jut mate of his marched some of the sullay to some refugee camp. They apparently drew their kirpans out and told the people to follow them and ran to the place, they must have been intimidating enough to put any attackers off. Other family members went the other way apparently. 

yh iv heard many stories of support and humanity as well while all the carnage was taking place 

Nawanshar is in doaba, other side of the sutluj river.  Muslims were outnumbered in doaba so i think doaba was one of the places where they faced the worst.    in my mums pind, when doing farming people used to find boxes of gold that the muslims buried in the fields thinking they will come back. a few muslims got left behind in my mums pind but they were used life slaves and treated really bad!   a lot of the muslims graves were destroyed and people made fields on top of them afterwards. 

but the same things were happening to sikhs and hindus where muslims were the majority. 

34 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Doaba was 70 percent muslim during the partition.

Just now, Ranjeet01 said:

really!!  how comes so many of them got killed off then     maybe they weren't that socially dominant then?   iv heard some horrifying things of what sikhs did with them in the area my family are from.     i know that some areas of jalandhar had big muslim population  areas like nurmahal, nakodar, philaur etc  were mainly muslims        how can i find what the statistics were for nawanashahr? 

13 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

where your family from in punjab?

5 minutes ago, puzzled said:

really!!  how comes so many of them got killed off then     maybe they weren't that socially dominant then?   iv heard some horrifying things of what sikhs did with them in the area my family are from.     i know that some areas of jalandhar had big muslim population  areas like nurmahal, nakodar, philaur etc  were mainly muslims        how can i find what the statistics were for nawanashahr? 

The muslims of doaba were not big land owners like in West Punjab. They tended to come from the lower stratas of society. 

From what I remember in Jalandhar they lived what are called bustees. 

If you want to ever meet muslims from Jalandhar or Doaba in general, a lot of them moved to what is now Faisalabad in Pakistan. 

Jagsaw is a Doabite and would have far more extensive knowledge on this. 

2 minutes ago, puzzled said:

where your family from in punjab?

I am Majhail. But my naneh's nankeh were from Kapurthala. 

I found a short video from my pindh on youtube. I'm exiled from it after my parents separated, and all the usual land dispute stuff. I learnt a few things from the vid. I'm gonna post it on sikhawareness.com soon. Was interesting. 

7 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The muslims of doaba were not big land owners like in West Punjab. They tended to come from the lower stratas of society. 

From what I remember in Jalandhar they lived what are called bustees. 

If you want to ever meet muslims from Jalandhar or Doaba in general, a lot of them moved to what is now Faisalabad in Pakistan. 

Jagsaw is a Doabite and would have far more extensive knowledge on this. 

that makes sense   despite being majority they weren't that dominant.  despite being minority Sikhs do own a lot of the land in rural doaba, while khatris/aroras own most the shops. 

19 minutes ago, puzzled said:

The reasons why a lot of things happened to muslims in doaba is because there were refugees pouring in from West Punjab telling all the things that was happening like rape, murder etc so a lot it was retaliation. 

The crazy things that was happening was Sikhs were protecting muslims in their own villages whilst killing muslims in other villages.

9 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I am Majhail. But my naneh's nankeh were from Kapurthala. 

oh ok cool   my nanis family were originally from haryana  hisar and rotak       but everyone else is from doaba 

that makes sense   despite being majority they weren't that dominant.  despite being minority Sikhs do own a lot of the land in rural doaba, while khatris/aroras own most the shops. 

However, Sikhs were minority in West Punjab but owned huge swathes of land with Hindus owning lots of businesses. 

I think the difference was the Muslims in West Punjab were big land owners and they were quite feudal in nature. 

3 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

However, Sikhs were minority in West Punjab but owned huge swathes of land with Hindus owning lots of businesses. 

I think the difference was the Muslims in West Punjab were big land owners and they were quite feudal in nature. 

i think most the muslims in west punjab were jatts, rajputs etc  while the ones in east punjab were not.     i think Sikhs and hindus faced the worst in the mirpur areas 

i think most the muslims in west punjab were jatts, rajputs etc  while the ones in east punjab were not.     i think Sikhs and hindus faced the worst in the mirpur areas 

It all kicked off in Rawalpindi. 

Sikhs in those areas were predominantly Urban Sikhs rather than rural ones.