Are Sikhs still feared?

Big_Tera

I am not boasting or trying to big myself up in anyway. But whereever I go. People tend to fear me to a certain degree. Ie when my Kara is showing and I wear a t shirt with arms visible. People generally look at me in a fearfull way. As Sikhs have a dangerous reputation. When my Kara is not showing. People tend to not even notice me and presume I'm one of the South Asian faiths. 

It also  helps that I'm quite a well built mean looking guy. 

But is our reputation as people not to be messed with on the decline?

Also we as Sikhs have to individually keep the rep going. If we act weak. Then other people will presume we are all like that. I've made a point of giving a beating to someone. To instill fear of Sikhs as a people 

Lol

Not in UK. Generally, most Keshdharee sikhs / gursikhs are family people here, they are professionals who stay away from violent confrontation. They have comfortable lives. 
I think the moneh who are involved in crime / drugs have more fighting spirit.

Even in Punjab, sikhs aren’t what they used to be. Look at the battle of saragarhi in recent history....21 sikhs vs 1000s of afghans. 

Sikh children often get bullied at school. I encourage all parents to send there children to jiu jitsu, boxing or thai boxing (these are most useful / practical in street fights from what I have seen) 

1 hour ago, IshR said:

Lol

Not in UK. Generally, most Keshdharee sikhs / gursikhs are family people here, they are professionals who stay away from violent confrontation. They have comfortable lives. 

Even in Punjab, sikhs aren’t what they used to be. Look at the battle of saragarhi in recent history....21 sikhs vs 1000s of afghans. 

Sikh children often get bullied at school. I encourage all parents to send there children to jiu jitsu, boxing or thai boxing (these are most useful / practical in street fights from what I have seen) 

Criminals don't have any fighting spirit. They are just cowards who are just waiting to do time for their crimes.

3 hours ago, IshR said:

Lol

We need to use our brain rather then brawn. It's not about mindless violence. Sikhs are minority community. We don't have numbers on our side like Muslims and Hindus or even blacks for that matter. Hence we need to stick together. 

Not sure about the many Sikhs are bullied because we're soft. Many Sikhs are simply out numbered. So can't exactly fight a gang alone by themselves. If it's one on one many Sikhs can easily hand themselves in a fight 

21 hours ago, JSinghnz said:

Criminals don't have any fighting spirit. They are just cowards who are just waiting to do time for their crimes.

Some of them have serious fighting spirit and are very physically capable. Mix that with sociopathic tendencies and ..........

They can be very brave, they just use it for selfish purposes though. 

It's no coincidence that Bidhia Chand was a bit of a crook before he became a Gursikh - that probably helped give him the stones to rob those horses back from the moghul stables, which would have been a serious offence and a direct challenge to moghul authority, with dangerous consequences. 

Even Bhai Gurdas ji mentions Guru Hargobind ji keeping sangat with 'toughs' who didn't have the greatest reputation. 

That's not excusing or glorifying criminality, but the truth should be known. A lot of top criminals had to fight their way up in social circles made up of other dangerous, unpredictable, violent criminals. An ahhm bundha couldn't do that. 

19 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

We need to use our brain rather then brawn. It's not about mindless violence. Sikhs are minority community. We don't have numbers on our side like Muslims and Hindus or even blacks for that matter. Hence we need to stick together. 

Not sure about the many Sikhs are bullied because we're soft. Many Sikhs are simply out numbered. So can't exactly fight a gang alone by themselves. If it's one on one many Sikhs can easily hand themselves in a fight 

Single people, or even heavily outnumbered small groups did use to fight larger groups in the past (70s and 80s), some of the tougher people would come out on top of these conflicts, so it isn't impossible, and it has happened in the recent past. It used to happen with skinheads and others. 

I think physical strength, confidence and an ability to fight (and having a particular type of psychology) are key here. Not everyone has all these things. They are probably a rare combination. Some of the guys I saw with these characteristics could change the whole nature of an area single handedly and quickly. They'd win fights that you'd never think was possible. But they certainly weren't all angels - far from it. Some of them were pretty evil. That's how it goes often. 

Back in the 90s my mamas son in the west Midlands used to be with gangs, sometimes as kids when we used to go around to stay at my mamas house he used to have a gun in the house!  He used to keep it in his room and my mum used to shout at him and tell him not to bring it down  because we were kids lol.   He used to have a massive rottweiler in the garden aswell.  

The lifestyle eventually caught up with him and his life became a mess. 

His in his mid 40s now but from I know he still is in contact with the gangs but hes not involved,  if he has any problems he could just ring who ever up. 

I used to find him scary lol  as a teenager I used be scared of him hahaha! But now I'm ok with him ... 

Hes older now but he can probably still knock out 95% of the men younger than him.  

Our sister, his sister  is basically disowned by our family   and she tried getting some <banned word filter activated> to threaten him, the sullah must know some minor local thugs  and he started threatening my cousin on the phone by mentioning their names, my cousin then mentioned the gangsters that he knows and the fckin sullah hung up the phone  lmao    

I knew of British Sikhs who used to own automatic assault rifles until they got outlawed in the 80s, people knew not to mess with Sikhs as they were peaceful but violent when provoked too. The elder sikhs of the 70s/80s/90s were a different calibre much more battle ready and willing to get criminal record and go jail for family, Sikhs and Sikhi. They came from a mentality that were hardcore types the ones that had the dilar brave-heart spirit having fought UK white racist skinhead street gangs, some traveled to india to fight indian army terrorists, they fought UK muslim groomer gangs and islamic extremists (shere punjab vs chalvey boys, khalifa786, hibz-ut-tahir/al-mahajaroun,etc) and when they weren't doing that they was beefing with each other too in southall (tooti nangs vs holy smokes).

Younger Sikhs of today are comfortable as they were raised with a different mentality. The environment has changed and so has the mentality naturally. Is it a bad thing? perhaps as Sikhs have prospered financially as they concentrated more in business and education. However they have definitely lost their street cred as being fearsome fighters. The blacks especially Jamaicans still have it the muslims have it. The Sikhs tend to get into that crazy fighter mode mentality when political, economic or living conditions become quite harsh I've noticed, so perhaps we will see a rise of Sikh fighting spirit in the near future.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:42 PM, JSinghnz said:

Many of today's criminals commit crime out of pure necessity. Ie to feed a drug habit. Hence these people are prepared to do anything to get their next fix. This includes extreme violence. Gun point bank robberies, stabbings assaults.You name it, to get  money that will get them their next drug or alcohol.

Many are simply out of their minds and don't know what their doing. It's well known that a high proportion of crimes are committed under the influence. 

Many criminals are career ones. These people have no hope of getting a 9 to 5 job and living a stable life. Their only means of income is crime. They have nothing to lose in life. So live a violent and precarious life. Getting attacked commiting henuous crimes and going to prison is a way of life for them. Many come from broken home. They have no heart or soul.

This kind of violence and aggression should not be mistaken for courage or being admired. They are low life people with no morals. 

23 hours ago, genie said:

I knew of British Sikhs who used to own automatic assault rifles until they got outlawed in the 80s, people knew not to mess with Sikhs as they were peaceful but violent when provoked too. The elder sikhs of the 70s/80s/90s were a different calibre much more battle ready and willing to get criminal record and go jail for family, Sikhs and Sikhi. They came from a mentality that were hardcore types the ones that had the dilar brave-heart spirit having fought UK white racist skinhead street gangs, some traveled to india to fight indian army terrorists, they fought UK muslim groomer gangs and islamic extremists (shere punjab vs chalvey boys, khalifa786, hibz-ut-tahir/al-mahajaroun,etc) and when they weren't doing that they was beefing with each other too in southall (tooti nangs vs holy smokes).

Younger Sikhs of today are comfortable as they were raised with a different mentality. The environment has changed and so has the mentality naturally. Is it a bad thing? perhaps as Sikhs have prospered financially as they concentrated more in business and education. However they have definitely lost their street cred as being fearsome fighters. The blacks especially Jamaicans still have it the muslims have it. The Sikhs tend to get into that crazy fighter mode mentality when political, economic or living conditions become quite harsh I've noticed, so perhaps we will see a rise of Sikh fighting spirit in the near future.

Yep I also knew some hardcore Sikhs back in the 80s 90s who had firearms.

I knew one Sikh from Bham who was a well known legend. He went by the name of 'machine gun Singh'. 

As he was known to have a machine gun and was not afraid of using it. Many feared and were terrified of him.. He was a big guy. 6ft 2 and gym goer. He was a very physically apposing . Eventually he had to leave Birmingham. As he beat up so many people and was involved in so much violence. He became a target for revenge by other criminal types in the underworld.