Are there any good books on what daily life was like under british rule in punjab and in sikh princely states?

genie

1 hour ago, ChardikalaUK said:

This reminds of this scene in Bruce Lee's Fist Of Fury. I guess we have always been seen as mercenaries.

Make no mistake about it, we are at a cross road. Every other last community is shaking off their colonial baggage. You see this coming from everywhere. We need it even more than others because our lot were so deeply entwined in this previously.  And it brought us nothing but death and destruction and losses. 

Jallianwala Bagh Massacre - Why Indians Fired on Indians

Colonel Dyer arrived at the Bagh with a group of 50 troops, including 25 Gurkhas of 1/9 Gurkha Rifles (1st battalion, 9th Gurkha Rifles), Pathans and Baluch and 59th Sindh Rifles. Fifty of them were armed with .303 Lee–Enfield bolt-action rifles.

Lee–Enfield - Wikipedia

Lee Enfield .303 Bolt-action rifle.

image.jpeg.ec5eec57020d33b51a2799e216c25dc2.jpeg

Lee Enfield .303 bullets.

It would've been even worse!

Dyer or Dwyer: Who is to be held responsible for the 1919 shooting? |  Latest News India - Hindustan Times

After Mr. Justice Rankin had questioned Dyer, Sir Chimanlal Setalvad  questioned him. 

Here's how the conversation unfolded: 

Chimanlal Setalvad: ‘You took two armoured cars with you?’
Dyer: ‘Yes.’

Chimanlal Setalvad: ‘Those cars had machine guns?’

Chimanlal Setalvad: ‘And when you took them you meant to use the machine guns against the crowd, did you?”
Dyer: ‘If necessary. If the necessity arose, and I was attacked, or anything else like that, I presume I would have used them.’

Chimanlal Setalvad: ‘When you arrived there you were not able to take the armoured cars in because the passage was too narrow?’