SOUTHALL: Havelock Road name change to Guru Nanak Dev Ji Road consultation seems to have resulted in approval #SikhLivesMatter #BlackLivesMatter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

It can work the other way too. When you just quietly put up with discrimination you set up a dynamic between communities where the other assumes that this is down to some docile characteristic, and this relationship gets perpetuated, for decades/centuries even. 

Fighting strongly for your rights inevitable makes oppressors hate, resent and attack you even more, but after the battle's done, you get respect and the dynamic gets changed for the better. It's a shame so many of our people have forgotten this. Our ancestors understood it well. 

That's true, I think there is a fine line and I feel that black people do cross it, and so do muslims.

In an ideal world we should not be living here in the first place but our parents chose to come here and everyone to an extent has to play the cards they are dealt in life.

26 minutes ago, sikhojaago said:

It is only because of  his weaknesses that we lost the Sikh kingdom to the British. There are more idiots like him in our history. It’s best not to touch the Pandora’s box!  

That's a bit harsh, it was him who established the kingdom but his decadence caused it's demise as well.

2 hours ago, sikhojaago said:

Best for you all to go back to the corrupt Sikh kingdom under the banner of Maharaja Ranjit Singh who f****d every women in sight (over 300 prostitutes in his harem) loved alcohol, drank like a fish if not a pig, gambled, employed imbeciles in his employment and wasn’t even an amritdhari khalsa!  Every single department during his reign had a Mughal title, loved the Mughals and their mistreatment of Indians. Couldn’t even produce a legitimate heir to his throne! All in all a Sicko.

Sikhs finally could live under freedom and without fear because of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Under his Raj no Afghans invaded Punjab. The 18th century is one of the bloodiest periods in Sikh Itiaas and finally when his Raj came Sikhs lived with no fear.

2 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

It's funny when you see his picture in Gurdwaras. Sure he did a lot of good for us but he was a horny drunk.

If he just had one wife and had kids with just her there wouldn't be so much squabbling after his death over who should succeed him.

I dnt think theres anything wrong with his portraits at the Gurdwara, that was the golden period in Punjab for us Sikhs and it happened because of him.

Most his marriages were for political links, if he hadn't married some of the women he did then the Empire wouldn't of been as vast as it was.

2 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I dnt think theres anything wrong with his portraits at the Gurdwara, that was the golden period in Punjab for us Sikhs and it happened because of him.

Most his marriages were for political links, if he hadn't married some of the women he did then the Empire wouldn't of been as vast as it was.

Yes it's true but how can the gianis preach against drinking, drug use, adultery, excess lust and then have a picture of someone who did these things to the extreme.

I even heard that he had sex with a woman on top of an elephant in front of the public. Crazy man.

Just now, ChardikalaUK said:

Yes it's true but how can the gianis preach against drinking, drug use, adultery, excess lust and then have a picture of someone who did these things to the extreme.

I even heard that he had sex with a woman on top of an elephant in front of the public. Crazy man.

true   but it was a really important part of our ithiaas, in fact so much of our political situations today can be traced back to the fall the empire. Gurdware have paintings of lots of our Itiaas, the genocides, shaheedis, victories etc his painting represents our victory, every paintings depicts a story. One painting which artists never created is of M.Ranjit Singh getting summoned to Akal Takht for punishment, i think such paintings are important as well as we can learn from paintings too. I think parents should narrate to kids the stories behinds these paintings. 

As Sikhs we can learn a lot from M.Ranjit Singhs flaws as a person and a Sikh and the fact he was summoned to the Akal Takt for it. 

Yh he did a lot of crazy things lol. 

I think we get a bit to critical of M.Ranjit Singhs personal life to the point where we overlook his contribution to Sikhs. 

He was a flawed person Kaam and Ego obviously were a problem but he had a lot of love for Sikhi too.

Today Sikhs are questioning Gurus hukkam and altering Sikhi, he accepted his sins went down on his knees before Akal Takht and accepted the punishment despite being one of the most powerful and richest men in Asia. How many of the so called leaders today would do that? 

He refused to wear kalgi out of respect for Guru Gobind Singh ji, and then you have irrelevant nobodies playing dress up and wearing a kalgi on their weddings.  

He didnt name a single building, public place, gurdwara, palace, town, road after himself, yet NRI Punjabis of today open a little clinic, kabadi ground etc in the pind and then name it after themselves/surname 

He was very popular among the poor as well

One story from his life is how, for his Grandson Nau Nihal Singhs wedding he got a jeweler to prepare a sehra for Nau Nihal Singh, the sehra was made out of gold, emeralds and other precious stones, once the jeweler completed the sehra he gave it to M.Ranjit Singh. When he saw the sehra he found it so beautiful that he didn't give to his grandson but went Harmandir Sahib and placed it in front of Guru Maharaj. Similar thing happened when the Nawab of Hydrabad i think? gifted M.Ranjit Singh a Chandoa/canopy, the Chandoa was studded with so many jewels that you couldn't even fold it. When M.Ranjit Singh saw the Chandoa he felt only Guru Maharaj is worthy of it and gave it to Harmandir Sahib.

They still have these objects at Harmandir Sahib but apparently the British removed the precious stones from them and replaced them with replicas, apparently so ...