Norse mythology and Sikhi

I recently played the new assasins creed game and it is about vikings and I was wondering what you think the Sikhi perspective is on Norse mythology?

I don't think there is any reference to Norse mythology in any of the Sikh Granths.

Do yuu think that Norse Gods are real and Asgard also Vallhala?

I think most Sikh people probably think Norse mythology is fake but believe in Hindu Mythology.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone has been released from Arkham it seems.

it is not Bali we don't offer prayers to  a deity and the life of the creature (pure arrogance on the part of human) to get something in return from that deity .Jhatka is purely executing that creatur

3 hours ago, Arsh1469 said:

I recently played the new assasins creed game and it is about vikings and I was wondering what you think the Sikhi perspective is on Norse mythology?

I don't think there is any reference to Norse mythology in any of the Sikh Granths.

Do yuu think that Norse Gods are real and Asgard also Vallhala?

I think most Sikh people probably think Norse mythology is fake but believe in Hindu Mythology.

hindus had a pantheon , so did Greeks and Romans so why not Scandia folks ? European pagan religions believe in bali just like the others including Hindu faiths , they wholesale go for an animistic, fatalistic world view which is not anything which Sikhi rates highly and the lack of compassion for human and beasts (sacrificial offerings and slavery) is a big no no  too. Guru ji would have included them in the manmukh and lost/blind categories .

It's the same Gods/Godesses but different cultures gave them different names. Arabs used to worship Durga and Saraswati. Vedic deities are the same as Greek Gods, like Indira is the same as Zeus. I think the Roman's borrowed some of the Greek Gods and then the Catholics borrowed some of the Roman deities and Catholasized them. The Virgin Mary is a Roman Godess, which I believe the Roman's got from the Greeks, they just renamed her as Mary. 

Hindus get really exited and start squealing like chimps when archeologists discover idols of humans with animal heads, they start claiming that it's a "hindu" God and that the inhabitants of those lands worshipped Hindu Gods.

Avtaars like like Raam, Krishna came much later, they basically replaced the Vedic Gods like Indra, Suriya, Vayu etc 

11 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

hindus had a pantheon , so did Greeks and Romans so why not Scandia folks ? European pagan religions believe in bali just like the others including Hindu faiths , they wholesale go for an animistic, fatalistic world view which is not anything which Sikhi rates highly and the lack of compassion for human and beasts (sacrificial offerings and slavery) is a big no no  too. Guru ji would have included them in the manmukh and lost/blind categories .

What's jhatka?

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

What's jhatka?

it is not Bali we don't offer prayers to  a deity and the life of the creature (pure arrogance on the part of human) to get something in return from that deity .Jhatka is purely executing that creature in the most efficient and pain-impulse free way possible nothing more , I will not say it is compassionate because it would be more compassionate to let it live

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

it is not Bali we don't offer prayers to  a deity and the life of the creature (pure arrogance on the part of human) to get something in return from that deity .Jhatka is purely executing that creature in the most efficient and pain-impulse free way possible nothing more , I will not say it is compassionate because it would be more compassionate to let it live

I'd argue it's ritual animal murder performed while invoking a deity, even if it is our good-guy deity. 

Killing an animal while uttering a mantra is part of the same Mystery Babylonian school of dark magick (of which the Indic belief strands are partly derived) that opens up the individual to possession by entities. That berserker rage / bir rass obtained from this practice that's extolled by certain factions is actually something you don't want. Anyone who says it can be controlled is having a laugh.

It seemed like an acceptable Sikh practice to me for many years, but having studied dark magick for a while now (out of curiousity, not as a student, lol) it's clear to me that it's part of the same school of thought as child sacrifice and sex magick. 

When we do it, it's supposedly pure and holy, but when others do it's empty, dangerous ritual. There's something quite hypocritical about it.

23 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I'd argue it's ritual animal murder performed while invoking a deity, even if it is our good-guy deity. 

Killing an animal while uttering a mantra is part of the same Mystery Babylonian school of dark magick (of which the Indic belief strands are partly derived) that opens up the individual to possession by entities. That berserker rage / bir rass obtained from this practice that's extolled by certain factions is actually something you don't want. Anyone who says it can be controlled is having a laugh.

It seemed like an acceptable Sikh practice to me for many years, but having studied dark magick for a while now (out of curiousity, not as a student, lol) it's clear to me that it's part of the same school of thought as child sacrifice and sex magick. 

When we do it, it's supposedly pure and holy, but when others do it's empty, dangerous ritual. There's something quite hypocritical about it.

well I gave up maas and aande four decades ago when I had amrit, after reading sakhian of people going into joon I cannot see taking of those lives as anything other than equivalent to murder and therefore needs to be stopped . We are not in wartime , living in jungles anything justifiable to eat maas for survival  , and we can practice shastar skills in nonlethal ways these days .. 

2 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Jhatka is purely executing that creature in the most efficient and pain-impulse free way possible nothing more , I will not say it is compassionate because it would be more compassionate to let it live

This is true for Sikhs who practice it for the correct reasons such as preparing for a war.  Some do ardaas because they are asking for forgiveness from God for taking a life.  This is Gurmat.  Now there is another side to it.  The Sikhs at takht Hazur Sahib slaughter a goat using the one strike way but they have made it into a sacrifice. The blood of the goat is ritually used to anoint the weapons placed before Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Parkash.  The Hazur Sahib Sikhs are purely influenced by the surrounding area of a hindu majority. Sacrifice, rituals, making women second class has all been adopted from their hindu brothers. 

1 hour ago, MisterrSingh said:

The Guru given Bir rass is pure and is no different than the Guru given compassion.  

2 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

That's well off the mark. The things you mention try and extract a particular type of dark energy from pain and corruption of innocence. Often by prolonging the suffering and pain of the victim and reveling in it.  It's heavily powerplay based, and a wilful attempt to cross boundaries of normal behaviour. 

How can jhatka be equated to this? 

12 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

That's well off the mark. The things you mention try and extract a particular type of dark energy from pain and corruption of innocence. Often by prolonging the suffering and pain of the victim and reveling in it.  It's heavily powerplay based, and a wilful attempt to cross boundaries of normal behaviour. 

How can jhatka be equated to this? 

The animal killing accompanied by the reading of a mantra is a gateway to the later stuff involving children, virgins, etc. They practice on animals before they get to the children, and then later the newborns. The intention is moot. The key is the blood-letting not the speed of the death. The power that blood contains is simply mind-blowing, and the manner and state of the victim when that blood is obtained is key. The end of an innocent living being. If you want to kill a animal and eat it, then fair enough. But the extra magick masala is asking for trouble. It's dangerous. 

The animal sacrifices described in works such as the Mahabharata (the mass culling of horses in preparation of an Emperor being crowned) isn't unique to Indians. It has its roots when Moloch and Baal were considered to be walking among their followers on Earth.

I'm not a hippy vegan or anything so I'm not coming at this from a dietary or animal rights issue.

11 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

The animal killing accompanied by the reading of a mantra is a gateway to the later stuff involving children, virgins, etc. They practice on animals before they get to the children, and then later the newborns. The intention is moot. The key is the blood-letting not the speed of the death. The power that blood contains is simply mind-blowing, and the manner and state of the victim when that blood is obtained is key. The end of an innocent living being. If you want to kill a animal and eat it, then fair enough. But the extra magick masala is asking for trouble. It's dangerous. 

The animal sacrifices described in works such as the Mahabharata (the mass culling of horses in preparation of an Emperor being crowned) isn't unique to Indians. It has its roots when Moloch and Baal were considered to be walking among their followers on Earth.

I'm not a hippy vegan or anything so I'm not coming at this from a dietary or animal rights issue.

Flipping 'ell Singh. 

I think you've linked unrelated things here in a major way. 

Jhatka is a way to minimise the suffering of the animal, it's actually an attempt to absolutely minimise the release of the very dark energy the other 'satanic' things revolve around.  Also, a way to practice the important kill stroke that winning human on human conflicts hinge on. Shouting Akaal at the time of the strike is in no way equatable to kallaa jadu.  

5 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Jhatka is a way to minimise the suffering of the animal, it's actually an attempt to absolutely minimise the release of the very dark energy the other 'satanic' things revolve around.  Also, a way to practice the important kill stroke that winning human on human conflicts hinge on. Shouting Akaal at the time of the strike is in no way equatable to kallaa jadu. 

Jatka is a weird medieval ritual, certain type of NRI Sikhs seem to have developed a strange interest in it. Various Hindu warrior sects used to behead goats and sheep before going to war, In west Bengal they still behead Buffalo and present it to Kali Mata.