Jump to content

Do Sikhs over celebrate Bandi Chorr Diwas/Diwali?


Recommended Posts

We want to be seen as seperate from Hindus but we celebrate Diwali with great gusto, more than even Vaisakhi.

There are many great significant events in Sikh history but we choose to celebrate the release of Rajas as if it is one of the most important things in our history. Most western Sikhs don't even know the jail story.

Did we correlate this event with Diwali like the Europeans did with their winter festival with Christmas?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When we were kids we used have huge Diwali parties. Dad would spend around £500 on fireworks, have many bottles of alcohol lined up on the kitchen worktop , have chicken curry made, all his rowdy mate

What I meant in my original post was if Sikhs give too much importance to Diwali/Bandi Chorr Diwas. Is it really a big important event in Sikh history? There are more significant events in my opinion.

When we were kids we used have huge Diwali parties. Dad would spend around £500 on fireworks, have many bottles of alcohol lined up on the kitchen worktop , have chicken curry made, all his rowdy mates would come around and everyone would party till 1 am in the morning. Us kids used to be running around in the garden watching the fireworks, while the women would sit inside munching on pakore, samosa, jalebi etc. And then drive their drunk husbands home after the party was over. Obviously got all the gurdwara stuff out of the way in the morning. 

My mums cousins Diwali parties were legendary, they nearly burnt the house down one year with dodgy old fireworks they got for free from a Punjabi "business man" who owned a "factory" we luckily all ran inside when it exploded.

The good old Punjabi Diwali right there. 

Having to clean up the mess next morning was the worst thing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, puzzled said:

A lot of patake today? A lot more that I though there would of been.

I'm surprised there hasn't been anyone in the media saying stuff like, "Fireworks spread Covid. The firework explosion releases Covid particle into the atmosphere, which ends up being inhaled by people" or something equally daft.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been anyone in the media saying stuff like, "Fireworks spread Covid. The firework explosion releases Covid particle into the atmosphere, which ends up being inhaled by people" or something equally daft.

lol I wouldn't be surprised, next its gnna be cows and sheeps farting out Covid. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For us we normally go to the gurdwara in the evenings and play with fulcharhia and the diva, whilst stuffing ourselves with pakore and samose and sweets with our mates. If we were in Punjab at that time we would go crazy with the fireworks. I've cut back on the fireworks recently, becoming more environmentally sustainble. Still use the fireworks in Punjab, just not as much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2020 at 6:49 AM, puzzled said:

When we were kids we used have huge Diwali parties. Dad would spend £500 on fireworks, 

Wow,in my place we don't have a single firework during diwali,vaisakhi or any Gurpurabs.No Nagar kirtan even.We just go to Gurudwara Sahib,hear the kirtan and have langar then we go back home.

 

2 hours ago, Kaurr said:

For us we normally go to the gurdwara in the evenings and play with fulcharhia and the diva, whilst stuffing ourselves with pakore and samose and sweets with our mates. If we were in Punjab at that time we would go crazy with the fireworks. I've cut back on the fireworks recently, becoming more environmentally sustainble. Still use the fireworks in Punjab, just not as much.

What is a fulcharhia?We never had that in my country ever.Not even in Vaisakhi or Gurpurabs,probably cause the population of sikhs here are so little.Only about 8000 out of which about half are mona.And when I say mona I mean like extreme not into sikhi.They drink alcohol, get involved in gangs and smoke.Most of them dont even come Gurudwara.Then out of the other half who keep their kesh and turban, about 40% of them drink as well.So theres only like 900 or 1000 people who come to Gurudwara.Super sad.In my Punjabi school theres only 50 students my age.Out of which only 2 or 3 Amritdhari or at least following sikhi but haven't got the chance to take Amrit yet.The rest of them are either trying to act like gunde. Alot of sikhs in my country left and migrated to Australia or Canada.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shaheed4life said:

Wow,in my place we don't have a single firework during diwali,vaisakhi or any Gurpurabs.No Nagar kirtan even.We just go to Gurudwara Sahib,hear the kirtan and have langar then we go back home.

Where abouts do you live? Over here in Sikh/Hindu areas fireworks go on till after midnight lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They do Diwali events at clubs as well, so Bhangra nights, Desi nights, Bollywood nights etc  where Hindus/Sikhs celebrate Diwali in their own way. 

Back in school kids used to have Diwali parties, the vodka in disposable cups type of party. 

Basically Diwali is like any other drunk Christmas karaoke party. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if people send Diwali cards or messages with images of Diwali babes on them lol! Like how you have those cheeky Christmas Cards and messages with girls on them lol, unless it's already happening. 

Nagar Kirtans are the same, everyone goes there to socialize and eat lol when we were in School everyone used to go there to meet up with their gf/bf. Boys also used to organize fights lol! 

The nagar kirtan ended at Ramgharia Gurdwara and there used to be a mela in the park opposite, a lot of the uncles used to drink alcohol near the bushes.

Basically Nagar Kirtans are like Punjabi carnivals.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I wouldn't be surprised if people send Diwali cards or messages with images of Diwali babes on them lol! Like how you have those cheeky Christmas Cards and messages with girls on them lol, unless it's already happening. 

Nagar Kirtans are the same, everyone goes there to socialize and eat lol when we were in School everyone used to go there to meet up with their gf/bf. Boys also used to organize fights lol! 

The nagar kirtan ended at Ramgharia Gurdwara and there used to be a mela in the park opposite, a lot of the uncles used to drink alcohol near the bushes.

Basically Nagar Kirtans are like Punjabi carnivals.  

Sounds like Ancient Punjab, tbh. 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use