Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

revisiting this earlier comment, can sangat here tell me on how they intend to or have expanded their nitnem beyond morning panj banis 

I want to get a better sense 

my gutka sahibs has shabad hajaare, shabad hajaare pt 10, dinan kki pritpal swaiye, pranvo aad ekankaara swaiye, barah maahaa maajh, asa di vaar, sukhmanee sahib, dukh bhanjanee sahib (trying to get salok mahal 9, basant kee vaar, vaar sri bhaugati ji ki, baavan akhri sometime soon in gutka saroop)  

can anyone share what banis they usually do after panj bania 

 

also, what are sangat's views on doing sehaj paath of sukhmanee sahib throughout the day?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 1:59 PM, Singh1989 said:

In order to get ANYWHERE in your Jeevan it is vital to take out 2.5 hours for Akaal Purakh, on top of the 7 Daily prayers we all fondly and dutly do. 2.5 hours can be Mool mantar, Gurmantar (1.15 hour on each) or Gurmantar followed by one Sukhmani Sahib (this prayer takes an hour) or three Baanias from Dasam Granth (which could take an hour) followed by going Gurudwara for 1.5 hours of Simran, Seva and Sangat. 

In short no Matter what u select it should be 2.5 hours minimum, time excluded from 7 Baanias. 

Now, there are two dangers here. First, "I can't concentrate so I won't do it..." This is something I call Jargon. It's jargon because as soon as we think "Concentrate" we forget about the MAIN MAIN task at hand completely... Which is to do the Naam Simran or selected prayers. "I will do 30 mins woth focus then buold it up..." WRONG! Just do 2.5 straight, focus will come to u slowly. Second danger, "I don't have time" this is an excuse! You have 24 hours for 2.3 hours of Prayers. If u work from 8am you have all the time in Amritvela. 

To conclude, if u wish for your mann chanchalas to stop, jeevan to succeed, understand God's Hukam, be liberated, 2.5 is just the start. 

Great inspiring post. 

I'm not sure why say that 2.5 hours excludes the mandatory 7 Bani though. Nit picking from me though! If you can do then kudos to you!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

revisiting this earlier comment, can sangat here tell me on how they intend to or have expanded their nitnem beyond morning panj banis 

I want to get a better sense 

my gutka sahibs has shabad hajaare, shabad hajaare pt 10, dinan kki pritpal swaiye, pranvo aad ekankaara swaiye, barah maahaa maajh, asa di vaar, sukhmanee sahib, dukh bhanjanee sahib (trying to get salok mahal 9, basant kee vaar, vaar sri bhaugati ji ki, baavan akhri sometime soon in gutka saroop)  

can anyone share what banis they usually do after panj bania 

 

also, what are sangat's views on doing sehaj paath of sukhmanee sahib throughout the day?

My opinion on this is that it's relative to your situation; we should try/struggle/fight for adding extra bani though. Once you are comfortable with your 7 bania a lot of jugasoo tend to adding Sri Sukhmani Sahib to their daily routine. Any of the bania that you have mentioned is a bonus as well

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, intrigued said:

like an ashtpadi an hour or sum?

just doing parts of it throughout the day thats what I meant

like 4 astpadees and saloks in morning, 12 after you come home from wherever, 6 after rehraas, last two before sohila sahib 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NaamTiharoJoJape said:

just doing parts of it throughout the day thats what I meant

like 4 astpadees and saloks in morning, 12 after you come home from wherever, 6 after rehraas, last two before sohila sahib 

hmm preferably i would want to do it all in one sitting to help my concentration. I would do shorter paaths if I dont have as much time. but i guess if the astpadi is complete that u shud be fine

 

Bhul Chuk Maaf

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
On 4/9/2021 at 1:59 PM, Singh1989 said:

In order to get ANYWHERE in your Jeevan it is vital to take out 2.5 hours for Akaal Purakh, on top of the 7 Daily prayers we all fondly and dutly do. 2.5 hours can be Mool mantar, Gurmantar (1.15 hour on each) or Gurmantar followed by one Sukhmani Sahib (this prayer takes an hour) or three Baanias from Dasam Granth (which could take an hour) followed by going Gurudwara for 1.5 hours of Simran, Seva and Sangat. 

In short no Matter what u select it should be 2.5 hours minimum, time excluded from 7 Baanias. 

Now, there are two dangers here. First, "I can't concentrate so I won't do it..." This is something I call Jargon. It's jargon because as soon as we think "Concentrate" we forget about the MAIN MAIN task at hand completely... Which is to do the Naam Simran or selected prayers. "I will do 30 mins woth focus then buold it up..." WRONG! Just do 2.5 straight, focus will come to u slowly. Second danger, "I don't have time" this is an excuse! You have 24 hours for 2.3 hours of Prayers. If u work from 8am you have all the time in Amritvela. 

To conclude, if u wish for your mann chanchalas to stop, jeevan to succeed, understand God's Hukam, be liberated, 2.5 is just the start. 

Are you sure it excludes the time on Nitnem? Nitnem would be around 1.5 hours and then on top of that another 2.5 hours is 4hours a day

Also, if someone is running a 'marathon' (just an example), they would usually need to start somewhere. 2.5 hours straight (done with total concentration) is basically impossible for someone who is a novice. Probably better to break it down into smaller chunks first, and build up gradually, just like you would do with your body for exercise. 

 

Saying that, it's not impossible , but to be sustainable, stamina needs to be built up

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Hypothetically, as I'm bulding my Nitnem and Rehit still, there is a balance to be struck. 

I mean only 24 hrs in a day. You work for x of it and sleep for some, the other remaining part, or parts, have Nitnem, Seva, Shastar Vidya, world knowledge to fit into, family, life, all that. 

It may be suitable to pair extra Bani to activities so you're listening to or reciting the additional Bani while doing Shastar Vidya etc. 

For everything to fit into a day some things will have to be undertaken simultaneously. 

In Aikido there are times and places for lots and lots of repetition and diversity in the training but ultimately your core training is being able to do one perfect training cut. You get more from that one rep than a million poor cuts. 

Rotating curriculum or focus throughout the week opens up some possibilities too. Maybe one day the two hour extra block is just Gurbani. Maybe the next it's science day. 

If we add all the extra nitnem suggestions on the web as a whole we'd just being doing Akhand Path everyday. But we should strive for as much Bani as possible. 

I think whilst eating is a perfect time (if alone/with others who believe in Bani) to be listening to Bani

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • @5aaban  @Kaurr https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/scott-morrison-woos-voters-from-hindu-and-sikh-communities-on-campaign-trail/c2c2hs8rs     Scott Morrison woos voters from Hindu and Sikh communities on campaign trail Prime Minister Scott Morrison spent the weekend attending community events held by the Hindu and Sikh communities ahead of the official Liberal Party election campaign launch set for Sunday.   Prime Minister Scott Morrison makes roti bread at a Gurdwara Siri Guru Nanak Darbar Sikh Temple in Pakenham in Melbourne on 14 May 2022. Source: AAP / MICK TSIKAS/AAPIMAGE Prime Minister Scott Morrison attended a Hindu Council of Australia in the Western Sydney seat of Parramatta and a Sikh Temple event in the Melbourne seat of La Trobe on Saturday.   In his sixth campaign trip to the seat of Parramatta, Mr Morrison met with members of the Indian Australian community to announce $250,000 for a kitchen program providing meals for homeless people in an election pledge. Advertisement The prime minister was joined by his Liberal candidate Maria Kovacic and Multicultural Affairs Minister Alex Hawke at the Hindu Council of Australia's Meet and Greet event.   He also on Saturday spent time at the Gurdwara Siri Guru Nanak Darbar Sikh Temple in Pakenham in the Melbourne seat of La Trobe.   Prime Minister Scott Morrison receives flowers at a Gurdwara Siri Guru Nanak Darbar Sikh Temple in Pakenham in Melbourne on 14 May 2022. Source: AAP / MICK TSIKAS/AAPIMAGE
    • Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh ji Dad has started a YouTube channel where all types of keertan including raag and akj will be uploaded. Other Sikh related videos will also be uploaded. Just wanted to share with the Sangat so that we can all take Anand of keertan together Bhul Chuk Maf ji 🙏 https://youtube.com/channel/UCMkGkUv8dFNFN5WM6tB0oMQ
    • Hopefully it's not more mangling of Sikhi with " Sikh" (Punjabi) and 'South Asian' culture https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/birmingham-2022-unites-sikh-community-23875249 Birmingham 2022 unites with Sikh community for South Asian culture festival at Walsall Stadium United Colours, a South Asian festival celebrating the Sikh community, will take place at the end of this month at Walsall's Bescot Stadium   By Robson McCallister 05:30, 15 MAY 2022 A huge South Asian festival celebrating Sikh culture and faith will be held on the pitch at Walsall’s Bescot Stadium at the end of the month. 'United Colours' has been organised by Sikh charity Global Sikh Union in association with Birmingham 2022 and will take place between May 28-29. The South Asian festival of culture will include over 400 musicians and will also host the Commonwealth Games Community Roadshow. A number of sports will be available for people to try including a mobile squash court. Aside from sport and music, the two day festival is an opportunity to celebrate Sikh history. Global Sikh Vision's head of operations Ashveen Kaur Kohli spoke about what historical elements attendees can expect at the end of the month.   “The main thing we want to bring to the events is that we have a historical exhibition. We’ll have an exhibition on the Sikh Empire and an art gallery. “It’s about coming and embracing history. Learning different things including the different rulings of India and bringing up a timeline of history. “Let’s not be afraid and scared of history. Let’s see the entire timeline for what it was, engage with it and be proud of the history. “Birmingham 2022 has been amazing and heavily involved in this event. 'United Colours' is an event for community cohesion and for the entire South Asian community - but we recognise it’s from Global Sikh Vision, a Sikh charity. “We’ve had meetings back and forth every week for the last couple of months. They’ve been incredible and we’re grateful that they’re joining us.” The involvement with the Sikh community comes after Birmingham 2022 was criticised by Sikh faith leaders last month. Cllr Gurdial Singh Atwal had said: "Since the Games arrived, we have had little or no contact from the Games Organising Committee, we are literally missing from the Games Cultural programme, just like other South Asian communities like the Bangladeshi and Pakistani communities." West Midlands Mayor Andy Street met with both the Sikh community and Birmingham 2022 on April 28 to address the diversity concerns that were raised. Mr Street tweeted: “It was great to hear the clear commitment from Games organisers to practical action in the next 90 days that will make a real difference for communities.” The upcoming festival will feature Birmingham 2022 Hometown Hero and wrestling coach Ranjit Singh who will give a talk on Sikh communities links to wrestling with Games mascot Perry the Bull also in attendance All of the fundraising on the day will be given to the British Heart Foundation with funds used for lifesaving treatment as well as to raise awareness to the South Asian community. Birmingham 2022 has been working with both Global Sikh Vision and Walsall Football Club for a number of months on the festival to ensure the event runs as smoothly as possible. Birmingham 2022 lead community engagement manager Abigail Shervington views 'United Colours' as a chance for people to get involved with the Commonwealth Games if they are unable to attend the event this summer.
    • Tax free salaries is what entices people.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use