Muslim spitting on chapati!

shastarSingh

On 1/8/2022 at 11:07 AM, SikhKosh said:

Be easy on the girl guys.

Some amritdharis believe in keeping bibek, i.e., only eating food prepared by other amritdharis. Mostly AKJ, Nihangs and some Taksalis. Altough I've personally seen other Gursikhs, non Jatha aligned, also practise it. One example I've seen is Jathedar Ranjit Singh. These people do thus not eat out because you can not be sure who cooked the food and under what circumstances.

This practise can seem harsh and discriminatory to some and historically sahajdharis have been performing langar seva as well.

Other Singhs go even further and keep 'sarbloh' bibek, which means only cooking and eating in sarbloh (all iron) utensils. While I feel there may be some benefits to eating in these (like wearing a sarbloh kara vs steel kara), it would be narrow minded to limit Sikhi to eating in sarbloh utensils or not. Some of these people even refuse to partake in langar if it is not served in sarbloh utensils. Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha criticized this practise in his book Gurmat Martand and he said this is a practise which has crept into Sikhi from Vaishno Matt.

Historically, Rahitnamas (most of whom are unauthentic, tampered with or written many decades after the Guru by the way) do mention that Sikhs should only eat food cooked by other Sikhs though. They also put an emphasis on never leaving food unattended (so it would not be poisoned by enemies etc). Not eating jootha and so on. But as I always say, we should only take the things from Rahitnamas which concords with Gurbani and bibek buddh (as in 'discerning intellect').

There are more good things than bad things in this practise, but it becomes problematic when it creates division and hierarchy in an already divided nation.

10 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

Thank you for the detailed reply. I know Amritdhari's are not allowed to eat Jhooth (my grandparents also follow this) but I didn't know about the rest. 

Basically all food served publically is Jootha. It's hard enough to cook well at home given fake and toxic ingredients, but really only ourselves, direct family and, preferably Amritdhari Gursikhs should make our food. To include ourself. 

41 minutes ago, SikhKosh said:

Be easy on the girl guys. We all started our journey somewhere, it seems she is genuinely trying to learn.

Some amritdharis believe in keeping bibek, i.e., only eating food prepared by other amritdharis. Mostly AKJ, Nihangs and some Taksalis. Altough I've personally seen other Gursikhs, non Jatha aligned, also practise it. One example I've seen is Jathedar Ranjit Singh. These people do thus not eat out because you can not be sure who cooked the food and under what circumstances.

This practise can seem harsh and discriminatory to some. It seems that historically the amritdhari-sahajdhari divide was not as problematic prior to the Singh Sabha movement. Some congregations were led by Sahajdharis even after the 'creation' of the Khalsa [refer to Guru Gobind Singhs Hukamnamas to one head of a congregation in the early 1700s who was Sahajdhari], so it is only natural to assume that Sahajdharis would cook langar as well, food which was partaken by the Khalsa and non Khalsa alike.

Other Singhs go even further and keep 'sarbloh' bibek, which means only cooking and eating in sarbloh (all iron) utensils. While I feel there may be some benefits to eating in these (like wearing a sarbloh kara vs steel kara), it would be narrow minded to limit Sikhi to eating in sarbloh utensils or not. Some of these people even refuse to partake in langar if it is not served in sarbloh utensils. Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha criticized this practise in his book Gurmat Martand and he said this is a practise which has crept into Sikhi from Vaishno Matt.

Historically, Rahitnamas (most of whom are unauthentic, tampered with or written many decades after the Guru by the way) do mention that Sikhs should only eat food cooked by other Sikhs though. They also put an emphasis on never leaving food unattended (so it would not be poisoned by enemies etc). Not eating jootha and so on. But as I always say, we should only take the things from Rahitnamas which concords with Gurbani and bibek buddh (as in 'discerning intellect').

There are more good things than bad things in this practise, but it becomes problematic when it creates division and hierarchy in an already divided nation.

I believe that Bibek is Gurmat, but I don’t actually do it.

11 minutes ago, Jacfsing2 said:

I believe that Bibek is Gurmat, but I don’t actually do it.

Big respect for that statement bro. And that's what we all owe Sikhi at the least. Understand the Gurmat vs where we are at and promote Gurmat not Ourmat, Manmat. 

It's like training up to doing big things. Today I climb boulders, one day Sumir Parbat. Sorry I'm sure my spelling is horrible. 

I hope to follow a fairly strict Sarbloh Bibek one day. Did I microwave my lunch at work the other day though? Ayup. I sure did.  Do I own one? No. Is life difficult? Sure fricking is bro.