Thoughts on Chis Gayle's new Punjabi themed song

Punjabiwolves

1 hour ago, proudkaur21 said:

How can we stop this menace? They make it because it sells and earns them money. Money is their god. They dont care about anything else.

They care about their image and name maybe? 

We can at at least condemn and diminish it. Like I said, the problem has had a long time to establish itself. It won't go overnight. We have to create a snowball effect. 

Firstly though, don't promote it, or support it by watching, buying etc.    

2 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

The influence of these songs can be limited on younger generations by not normalising it in the house (e.g. not playing it in the car).

I've noticed young kids are given access to phones bigger than their hands and parents give iPads to toddlers to make them stop crying (they often play songs on these and hand it to them). This has been normalised in the west and starting to show up in Panjab too. 

Parenting is tough. Especially when you cant slap a kid (like these days, and I'm not saying this should be done - I had more than my fair share!)

So people just pacify the kids with an ipad. It's like a modern day dummy, but with a lot of potential for unforeseeable, insidious side-effects.     

1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

I totally agree!

But maybe I'm influenced by studying psychology and what I've witnessed over the years regarding human behaviour. Some parents do not have a clue about child rearing. They don't understand or know (or maybe care?) about the long term effect of their actions on kids or the family or even wider community.

I'm also beginning to believe we have we have a disproportionate amount of low, mid level narcissists in our community. They seem incapable of thinking of anything but themselves and struggle with abstract thought. So ideas of panth, community etc. mean nothing to them deep inside even though they will infiltrate for various perceived benefits like social status, contacts, image etc.    

A lot of our people are a lost cause and greedy. They find traditional practices backwards and everything western is automatically superior and better. I've seen a few people who don't talk to their kids in Panjabi or teach them Gurmukhi (although they're fluent speakers themselves). These are usually the same ones who hand iPads to toddlers to pacify them. 

11 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

People who try to somewhat address the issue always receive massive backlash from our community. Simiran Kaur Dhadli's song on reels and modesty was good but she was shunned by other Sikhs. No one will dare to make similar songs if they know the response can ruin their career. 

Nah, if done right, they can get a following as anti-heroes of type. 

8 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

A lot of our people are a lost cause and greedy. They find traditional practices backwards and everything western is automatically superior and better. I've seen a few people who don't talk to their kids in Panjabi or teach them Gurmukhi (although they're fluent speakers themselves). These are usually the same ones who hand iPads to toddlers to pacify them. 

That's just one type. The other problem is the quality of teaching provisions for these things. When I was kid it was being in a room full of other kids, in the Gurdwara parroting. No novel approaches to teaching were applied. The resources were usually quite dry and boring.  Teachers were usually strict and traditional. (You'd get graded as Failing by Ofsted for that approach in mainstream schools). 

Still, it was better than being at home.......I'm not complaining, I'm glad for that too.

Many modern kids, especially because of tech, seem to have very short attention spans, the teaching approach needs to be stimulating and modern. Plus good teachers should be paid well.  They were always volunteers before. God bless them. 

8 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

That's just one type. The other problem is the quality of teaching provisions for these things. When I was kid it was being in a room full of other kids, in the Gurdwara parroting. No novel approaches to teaching were applied. The resources were usually quite dry and boring.  Teachers were usually strict and traditional. (You'd get graded as Failing by Ofsted for that approach in mainstream schools). 

Still, it was better than being at home.......I'm not complaining, I'm glad for that too.

Many modern kids, especially because of tech, seem to have very short attention spans, the teaching approach needs to be stimulating and modern. Plus good teachers should be paid well.  They were always volunteers before. God bless them. 

There's a good Gurmukhi teaching system where I'm from.