Starting University...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad you decided to contribute!

well, ok everyone comes in with their own views and rarely changes them but that shouldn't stop you from posting, we all disagree to some extent so post!

ok, I think your young friend had one problem, he tried to cut himself off from others, from what people his age do.

I think that is different from people who simply do not want to go to certain places.

eg. lets say I have been clubbing and then take amrit so force myself not to go, thats different from if I decide I don't like going anymore and that's perhaps the position most people on this forum are in, at least I am.

The reason I avoid certain places as much as possible is not because I dont trust myself around those ppl and those drinks and that smoke and those women/men, but because I just dont like taking my Sri Sahib to a place where I'm going to come home smelling of smoke.

Respect to your views and if you are saying that we should not cut ourselves off from society then I agree there.

I'm just thinking how far you take that? How far into society do you have to mix before you can convince yourself or others that you are a good sikh?

Thanks

142266[/snapback]

SSM Paji,

Fully appreciate that the reason you do not go to these places is because you genuinely do not want to. The only point I am making is that I know a lot of people stop going not because they want to but because they think they should.

• 4 months later...

I have been an avid reader of this site and one thing that has stopped me posting is that everytime I have a view it tend to be similar to Randip Singh and the people on this site seem unable or unwilling to look at any subject from any other side than there own.

I went to the same uni as the original poster and was one of those that did drink smoke etc etc. I am not proud of it but I enjoyed my time and have no regrets.

Now I want to become a good gursikh so would like to stop drinking with the eventual aim being to become amritdhari.

One thing i found whilst at uni is that my amritdhari friends did come to the pub but would not drink and would leave if the atmosphere became very smokey. They havd always done this and knew what to expect in different places.

They have full faith in themselves so are happy to meet new people. Even people who drink and smoke can be nice.

The one person who i remember most is a young amritdhari who I wont name but we shall call cheema. He stayed away from the bars before coming to uni and had never drank, smoked or visited any place that you may consider bad. To cut a long story short this very religious boy is now a mona who smaokes and drinks.

All I am trying to say is by hiding away you will never know if your own willpower and fait are strong enough to stop you doing these things.

I am not saying that you should all start gong to the pub but you need to not try so hard to avoid them because I feel you are alienating yourself from the community you live.

If this offends anyone then apologies but these are my views that does not make them right, religious or special it just makes them mine.

Some very interesting points mate.....and you will find it is only a tiny vocal minority that are narrow minded on this site. :TH:

Gurfateh ji

Firstly congratulations as u said that ur going to take Amrit! not everyone is blessed with this gursikhi jeewan, this chardikala life. u are going to be amongst those blessed ones & when u take amrit only then will u realize what u had been missing all these yrs ji.

i know ppl who have taken amrit... it is not that they are trying to alienate themselves from the clubs & bars. it so happens ji that when u are so involved with the jeewan that Guru Maharaj has blessed u with; this chardikala life that u dont feel the need to go to clubs etc. and Gursikhs, Guru de pyare find it uncomfortable being in such places... sangat can have positive or negative afftect so why not be in the company of 'SADH SANGAT JI'!

when we are surrounded by Guru ki sangat we will learn about Bani, sewa.... we learn to stay in Guru's hukam... we learn to do simran & we realize that nothing compares to this Chardikala life that Guru Ji has gifted us.

Guru Rakha

Puneet Kaur

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello people, I was browsing the web and I somehow ended up here and read the whole thread! Randip- I like your views, because they're very similar to mine! But sometimes it feels like your fighting a losing battle, with some narrow-minded people!!! Just wanted to add my views to this discussion, a lot of people are here mentioning the true path, or the path of truth, what exactly is this path of truth? Is it one where one doesn't smoke or drink, does that bring you closer to god? make you more favoured by god? I mean even the wording assumes there is only one path that all other paths are wrong.... Guru Nanak ji said there utlimately is no good or bad. Meaning there is really ultimately no dualism.. just what is. Yet here I see self styled spiritual warriors ensnared in this very dualism, those in the antipub/drink camp and those who accept things are not always in black and white. Does going to the gurdwara make you a better person in the eyes of god then if you went to the pub? if someone has a answer to this, let me know how you communicate with the big guy...God is everywhere, and upon realising this I've realised that one place is not holier or more sanctified then any another, we are living in the biggest gurwara of them all! On my spiritual quest i have progressed and learned more about myself from people from all walks of life not exclusively from those who are teetotal or even religious figures. In my humble view I find Sikhi profound and multi-layered, it is for me much more than a religion, and it is here were the danger lies and bigotry becomes influential when someone starts to institutionise and organise something so it can be easily digested by the masses, open your minds people! Read the GGS without prejudice and come to your conclusions! not the conclusion of others!