Anand karaj

Guest -_-

Vaheguru

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji ki fateh 

Ji I want to do an simple Anand karaj. I'm amritdhaari.

Can anyone tell me how a simple Anand karaj looks like? Does it go for 1,2 or 3 days? Like the day there you do the lava and a second day for a little "party"? 

What to do after lava? 

Music alcohol,dancing, .and are there other things which shouldn't be in an gursikh Anand karaj? 

Vaheguru Ji ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji ki fateh 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 11:00 PM, Guest -_- said:

Can anyone tell me how a simple Anand karaj looks like? Does it go for 1,2 or 3 days? Like the day there you do the lava and a second day for a little "party"? 

The Anand Karaj is so called because when Anand Sahib is read off after the Lavan, the couple is considered married in Guru ji's eyes. Technically, that is all that is required.

The 1, 2, or 3 days thing is because in the old days you couldn't simply drive 300 miles to a wedding or fly out. You had to travel there and you needed to rest for the wedding day. As well, because you didn't have modern transportation and communication, both sides took this time to get acquainted with each other because it might be the only time in a long time to be able to do so.

If you want to do that for that purpose is up to you, but you don't need to be constrained by the weird Punjabi "ceremonies".

What to do after lava? 

Anand Sahib, then kirtan, then some katha, then ardas, then langar. And you can then go home (doli). Or have a reception if you wish.

Music alcohol,dancing, .and are there other things which shouldn't be in an gursikh Anand karaj? 

You don't have to have alcohol at the reception (or have a reception at all). But instead of thinking of things to cut away, you can just start with the Anand Karaj and not add anything else.

The milni is merely the two parties meeting each other. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that. You can say Fateh instead of taking expensive gifts from the girl's side.

• 2 months later...
Guest Naam sabh toh oocha
On 8/4/2023 at 7:00 AM, Guest -_- said:

Vaheguru

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji ki fateh 

Ji I want to do an simple Anand karaj. I'm amritdhaari.

What to do after lava? 

Vaheguru Ji ka Khalsa

Vaheguru Ji ki fateh 

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ke fateh ji 

With the anand karaj there's some differences like in some anand karaj's the brothers of the bride stand on the outside of the parkarma and almost guide the women around, this is not an amritdari practice, to read more on what an amritdari wedding should be just search up the sikh rehat maryada online there's a whole document with how an amritdari anand karaj is held. vjkk vjkf ji

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

4 days total. 

First 3 days Akhand Paat for the auspicious occasion.  4th day Anand Karj followed by Kirtan, Katha and Guru ka Kangar. 

In my attendance of 20+ weddings I have only seen ONE such wedding. Zero party... party brings meat, alcohol and bhangra / music.

On 12/6/2023 at 8:22 AM, Singh1989 said:

4 days total. 

First 3 days Akhand Paat for the auspicious occasion.  4th day Anand Karj followed by Kirtan, Katha and Guru ka Kangar. 

In my attendance of 20+ weddings I have only seen ONE such wedding. Zero party... party brings meat, alcohol and bhangra / music.

we shouldn't be worried about meat. I know this forum is allergic to meat discussions, but meat is hardly an issue for a sikh to be worried about! If you want we can discuss privately.

Bhangra is dreadful these days. However music if required for keertan, so without bhangra music is actually good, if we do music with gurbani or something helpful and chardi kala! However it is unfortunate I am seeing modern keertanis bring keertan down to the level of bhangra from the past few decades!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Khalsa

I am 28 and my family is finding an amritdhari boy for me.As all my family members and relatives are non Amritdharis actually we are in hindu khatri any relatives hindu Jatt sikh mixed families so we hardly know anyone in gursikh.I always expected an amritdhari and nitnemi boy as my life partner so I only consider those who are blessed with amrit .As a result, after 5 months of continue search- I didn’t find any good rishta. Now my parents are suggesting me to marry a boy who is willing to take amrit, or marry a boy who is vegetarian and slowly he will take amrit and become gursikh      (it doesn’t seems fair to me- I don’t want to force anyone to take amrit and I don’t want Amrit as an agreement for my marriage, I don’t want to marry a nonamritdhari. So if any one is simple pure hearted.

Waheguru Ji ka khalsa

Waheguru Ji ki fateh