Should jeans be banned at Gurdwara?

japmans

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest balwinderkaur

*SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM* These thug-like guys and misled girls who wear wrong clothes really spoil the market for everyone. Jeans are fine so long as they are decent.......but since we have a few bad sheep wearing the wrong kinds of clothes, certain apparels are now being called for to be banned. ARRRGHHH what next!!!!!!!????????!!!!!! :wub: :@

Don't worry guys ( and girls) this 'ban' hasn't even been implemented yet. If it was, it would be only in India. Something like this will most likely not happen here in the west.

When I visited India a few years back I was pretty surprised at how 'modern' people were ( or tried to be, atleast, lol). But parents still don't like their daughters to enjoy the same fashion as the boys. A girl wearing jeans is taken to be "easy" over in India ( things might have changed since it's been like 6 years since I visited, and I was in middle school then). This jeans ban, if it ever takes shape, is more of an Indian concern.

I really doubt any Gurdwara is going to try and make a similar case over here. 90% of young people, mostly guys and some girls, tend to wear jeans sometimes, if not most of the time. Plus, our culture is different here. We don't think less of a Bibi just because she wears jeans.

So don't fret guys, this jean thing isn't going to effect us.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Well Banning is never a solution rather i agreed with Vicky Singh Veerjee that we should educate youth by various means.

First of all, let us find out why Indian boys/ girls are running blindly towards western fashion and cutting their hairs, wearing western clothes, boys wearing caps & even ear rings, nose rings, boys doing ponny tails etc. The major culprit is MEDIA which is the easiest, cheapest mean of entertainment in India.

In India, there are 4-5 Hindu religion channels, some muslium channels but we are not having even a single pure quality & well recognised , easily accessable SIKHI channel which can telecast educative & parchar programmes apart from kirtan/ katha programmes.

I think a parchar desk where Parcharak (male & females sewadaars) educate / inspire Youth in an impressive, modern and gurbani based education in historical or central gurudwara sahib. Show them a compraitive slide show or short movie in a stipulated room or confernece room.

There is no moderen techniques used in Sikhi Schools for educating / inspiring youth towards their religion.

But I know with the current leadership/ system we are having in India , this kind of parchar system wil remain the dream of my eyes only.

chalo jee guru sahib kirpa karan

bhulla chukaa dee maufai _/\_

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

r>

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I believe perhaps this new suggestion of banning jeans has good intentions

the intentions being:

1/ to dress modestly

2/ to express respect and humility in the Gurdwara for the Guru and Saadh Sangat

3/ to prevent the degradation of Sikhi Saroop or stop the Youth drifting away from Sikhi and its Rehat

However the idea of banning Jeans, is irresponsible and not very intelectually thought out.

Banning jeans will not solve Patit-punnaa (huge rise of people disregarding Sikh discipline) nor will it enshrine Sikhi in the hearts of these youngsters.

Maaf karnaa.

My suggestions would be:

1/ Ask EVERYONE (including men) to dress modestly and respectfully

2/ ADVISE (not Order!) that it may be more easier and more respectful if you people don't wear mini-skirts or skirts, or tight clothes which are seen unappropriate for the Gurdwara environment which primarily an environment that is supposed to enhance our spirituality.

3/ Quiz and question those who are drifting away from Sikh dress (in a respectful manner) - perhaps have someone doing a survey questionnaire outside the Gurdwara and get feedback. - it's Education and Actions we need - not scapegoating Jeans wearers

Humble food for thought.

When i was in india with bsbk veer, i shared my really disappointed views against sardars with full grown beard wearing baseball caps in public. In my opinion the status of wearing civilized dressing and the hospitality went dramatic low in their history.

Again the intentions of these rules are good but different approach is needed instead of taking an easy way. I would recommend sher_panjabi's suggestions for sure...

iono bout anyone of yall. but when i matha tek and if i have a chola on. the side of my khachera totally shows. am i against the sgpc now. NO. this is complete bs. girls never where short skirts or skimpy dresses and shirts to gurdwara. and if they do. they have enough shame to not completly bend down infront of sangat. their are plenty of girls that wear pants/jeans with their shirt tucked in or some form of covvereing for that area of their body. they arnt retarded everyone. i promise. of course bana should be worn by all. but ive seen alot of really good people before wearing pent kamiz etc. their already is a rule in place. its called SHAME. and alot of people have at least a bit of it. its just another "shosha" that the politically based sgpc is doing now. sgpc is filled with a bunch of bufoons