Clashes Between Sikh And Jat Community (bijnor)

Dharam Judh

Vaahiguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa Vahiguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

Just came across this news article that there was a clash between the Sikh community and Jat community in Bijnor. Looks like the Sikhs gave the Jats a run for their money:

Bijnor, Nov 5 (PTI) At least 25 people were injured when members of two communities clashed with each other over the issue of taking out a religious procession at Khaspura village in the district, police said.

The violence broke out yesterday when a group of Sikhs were obstructed from carrying out a procession by members of Jat community, who placing a bullock cart in the way.

The Jats were protesting against non-paving of the dilapidated roads in their areas by Sikhs, they said.

Enraged at this the Sikh community members allegedly took out their weapons and rushed at the members of the Jat community who hurled stones at the procession, police said.

The Sikhs set on fire about a dozen houses, some vehicles the village, they said adding, about 25 people from both the sides were injured and hospitalised.

(http://www.ptinews.com/news/362825_25-injured-in-clashes-between-Sikh-and-Jat-community)

^^^ no i dont mean like that, i mean people from jatt backgrounds, arent they mostly sikhs?

Many self styled historians and people confuse themselves with jats of haryana, UP and Rajastan with jats of punjab who became sikhs later on . While jats of hindi belt were by caste jats but the jats of punjab means farmer further jats of punjab were most opressed before the birth of sikhism. During medival period hindi belt jats consisdered jats of punjab as outcastes and were sworn enemies of khalsa althogh few of them became sikhs.

^^^ no i dont mean like that, i mean people from jatt backgrounds, arent they mostly sikhs?

Many self styled historians and people confuse themselves with jats of haryana, UP and Rajastan with jats of punjab who became sikhs later on . While jats of hindi belt were by caste jats but the jats of punjab means farmer further jats of punjab were most opressed before the birth of sikhism. During medival period hindi belt jats consisdered jats of punjab as outcastes and were sworn enemies of khalsa althogh few of them became sikhs.

Cool I was about to post article to ask about it. Its all confusing and all.

Jat is the caste of majority of Indian farmers living in Northern India. Some claim that they are also a distinct racial group.

Most of the jats who live in Indian Punjab had converted to Sikhism. In Punjab the pronunciation of “Jat” is “Jatt” while in the other parts of India the pronunciation of the word "Jat" is "Jaat" .

Majority of the farmers in the Pakistan Punjab are also "Jat" ( also pronounced as "Jatt" as in Indian Pujnab) but are Muslims. They are the descendants of Punjabi Jatts who converted to Islam under the influence of Baba Farid (Baba Farid lived before Guru Nanak’s times). Though in Pakistan Punjab, they do not use their "Jatt" last name but they have the common Jatt caste names as Mann, Chatta, Cheema, Chhina,Bhatti, Randhawa, and Gill etc common with the "Jatts" of Indian Punjab. (Now they too have started using their Jatt last name more often)

Bijnore - Moradabad is in UP (Uttar Pardesh) State. So the Jats in the news are "Jaats" (Hindus)

Some good points there ^, but if I can just add the fact that of all Punjabi Jatts, over 75% are muslim and in Pakistan. They (the Pakistani Jatts) actually share the same bloodline as the Sikh Jatts. My cousin recently came back from a trip to Pakistan and he informed me that in the Pakistani districts of Faislabad and Sahiwal etc the surnames of Dosanjh, Bains, Sandhu, Gill, Dhillon, Randhawa etc are just as, if not more so, common as they are in Indian Punjab. Indeed many of the old British surveys of Punjab from the early 1900's...The Gazateers of Punjab....especially of the Jalandhar district....often mention how, whenever there were disputes in the doaba villages, the Sikh and Muslim Jatts would always join forces in unity because of their blood bond with each other.

What this article refers to however, are the 'jaats' of UP. The actual news article should not surprise anyone. The jaats of U.P are of the same blood clans as the jaats of Haryana and it is well known how the main murderers during the anti-Sikh progroms of Delhi in 1984 were the Haryana jaats, who traditionaly monopolise the Delhi police force.

West London Singh

You are wrong in claiming that 75% of Punjabi Jats are Muslims. The last time that the number of Jats were counted was in 1931 and the count was of of the whole of Punjab (ie West Punjab, East Punjab and Haryana). The total number of Jats were 6,070,032. Sikhs were 2,133,151 or 35%, Muslims were 2,940,819 or 48% and Hindu Jats 992,309 or 17%.

As for the claim that Muslims Jats would join with Sikh Jats, that's a new one on me and I have read most of the Census and Gazetteer literature on Punjab. The caste gots that you claimed are as common if not more common in Pakistan than in Indian Punjab is another false claim. The gots of Jats were counted in the 1901 census and the percentage of Sikhs and Muslims in the following gots were-;

Dhillon Sikhs 82% Muslims 18%

Dosanjh Sikhs 66% Muslims 34%

Sandhu Sikhs 82% Muslims 18%

Gill Sikhs 81% Muslims 17%

I think we should be careful of placing reliance on what your cousin saw in Pakistan.

You are right in one respect, the Jats that the Sikhs fought with are most likely to be Hindu Jaats.