Iran punsihes killer of Sikh....

Kultaran case: Iranian SC upholds jury verdict

Prabhjot Singh

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, May 17

The Supreme Court of Iran — Deewaneh Aali Keshavar — yesterday upheld the verdict of the jury of a penal court of the Province of Tehran convicting Majid Jahanshahi Anbouhi in the Sikh businessman Kultaran Singh murder case sentencing him to 10 years imprisonment each for both intentional murder and intent to rob the victim.

Majid Jahanshahi Anbouhi had moved the Supreme Court against the December 15 verdict of the jury to plead for reduction in the sentence on the plea that he killed his one-time friend in rage after he refused to pay him back the money he had taken from him.

The Supreme Court, however, upheld that Majid not only intentionally killed 51-year-old Kultaran Singh Anand but also decamped with some valuables from his office.

Kultaran Singh, a Gursikh born in Iran, was brutally killed on August 7, 2003. This killing not only shook the confidence of the small Sikh and Indian community of Iran, which has been living there for three generations now, but also created a sense of insecurity among minorities there.

The entire Sikh diaspora had appealed to the highest authorities in India and Iran to intervene in this case and restore the confidence and security of the Sikh community in Iran by seeking justice for the murder of Kultaran Singh. Petitions were presented to the Prime Minister of India, Dr Manmohan Singh, the Ministry of External Affairs in New Delhi, Mr Krishan Chander Singh, Indian Ambassador to Iran, and the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee seeking their support and intervention.

Ms Daman Anand, widow of Kultaran Singh, had also sought the support of the Sikh diaspora worldwide as well as of the Nobel laureate and human rights lawyer, Ms Shirein Ebadi, an Iranian. Mrs Anand has two teenaged sons besides an old mother-in-law to look after.

The alleged killer, whose public confession was covered by the entire Iranian media, was tried by a Tehran Criminal Court on December 15. The lawyers believed that since the deceased was a Gursikh (a non-Muslim) in an Islamic Republic, and the perpetrator of the crime a Muslim, it was questionable whether justice would be served. The lawyers expected that at the most the family could claim and be awarded Diya compensation up to Rs 10 lakh (around US$23,000). The widow and the community, however, wanted that the killer should be given exemplary punishment.

According to the prosecution, Majid Jahanshahi Anbouhi, (47) had gone to the office of Kultaran Singh Anand on August 7, 2003, and stabbed him several times with a knife and robbed his assets. The jury held that considering the rules and regulations governing Muslims in connection with the murder of a non-Muslim, the convict was guilty under the relevant provisions of the Islamic Punishment Law but could not be awarded the punishment for murder.

The jury, however, held that this act of the accused resulted in spoiling the prestige of society and he was condemned to 10 years’ imprisonment for intentional murder and 10 years’ imprisonment for robbery. He was also directed to return the robbed items.

The jury allowed both the accused and the family members of the deceased to file an appeal against its order in the Supreme Court of the country. While the family decided not to file any appeal as it wanted to continue the business of Kultaran Singh, the convict did.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050518/punjab1.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"the convict was guilty under the relevant provisions of the Islamic Punishment Law but could not be awarded the punishment for murder. "

Sikhs are standing shoulder to shoulder with Muslims in France, fighting against the law banning Muslim scarfs for women and turbans for Sikhs. Muslims in Western nations demand equality and freedom, but in Islamic Republics, which are governed by Islamic law, a NON-Muslim is murdered by a Muslim, the Muslim cannot be charged with murder. I want to see the Muslims of Kashmir with whom we sympathize with, I want to see the Muslims in France protest this. Would they protest this, I doubt it. I have never seen Muslims stick up for injustice against NOn-Muslims. I think it is time we question our Muslim friends for once. It has been a while now here in the United States, Muslims saying how their islamic laws are compassionate and loving. Muslims are talking the talk in the West, but they are not walking the walk. You can't live in their countries as dignified citizens, and I think it is time we spoke up against this or at least Muslims in the Western nations should speak up.

peace.

"if he was a gursikh as the article lists, then he would not have wanted his killer to be killed."

It is not about killing the guy who murdered him, it is about a murderer being convicted of murder.

Why did Sukha and Jinda kill the murderer Vaidya? Why did Satwant singh and Bhai Beant singh kill INdira Gandhi the murderer?

actually in this case its for ne one person that is not muslim... its about equality. if they want to be treated as equals in other countries then they should treat people as equals in their own country.

what they proved was this man's life is not as valuable as a muslim mans. he got 10 years for stealing and 10 for murder... the same sentance... if it had been a muslim he would have been given the death sentance. I'm totally against the death penalty. but if u have a certain rule for one person then keep that same rule for others... their lives are of the same value. I agree, the muslims should raise their voice against this right now..... otherwise, ... well ... one word........ hypocrites....

Many middle eastern countries (i m in the middle east and know it for a fact) respect Sikhs very much. In Iran, Sikhs are addressed as "Sardar ____ Singh". Iran is the only Muslim country that has Jewish inhabitants as well. Why? Because they, although heavily stricy believers of Islam, fully believe in acceptance and tolerance. My guess is its coz they are Shia Muslims, a branch of Islam that has its' history written in the blood of shaheeds, which is only one similarity it has with Sikhi. There are many others as well!

In muslim countries Sikhs are very much accepted. I think Sony has the point that this is not about sikhs and muslim but it's about equality (very general).. but at the same time if we look at this particular case then "IT SUX"..