O' Canada

Akaali

I'd like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for the priveleged life that I have had because I was raised in such a country of opportunity. A country where peace, equality, and freedom are cherished above all else. A nation that does not fear to be different itself, or fear those who are different. From the west coast, to the rockies, to the rolling plains, and to the sangat of Toronto. I am blessed with a vibrant, beautiful land, and I hope that in my life I will be able to travel to see more of it. Proud to call it MY country. :nihungsmile: May all people be so lucky.

Thank you Canada, I stand on guard for thee! :nihungsmile:

(someone else's post, but it reflects my thoughts very accurately) :TH:

haha

nowadays... im sorry, but we have no home. Nowhere to call "our own".

After the France issue (something i thought cud never happen in the 21st century) i dont trust the western world as much as i used to. If they can ban people from wearing symbols off their beliefs so easily like France did... it makes me wonder what they can do with a bit more force... they cud throw out all Sikhs! and the same goes for Canada and UK and anywhere.

We have no home jio :doh:

We are on borrowed time... borrowed land. May Khalistan be a dream come true. Gur bar akaal.

Sorry for the morbid thoughts.

VJKK VJKF

Well speaking as someone born and brought up in the UK but also as someone who has also spent a fair amount of time in Canada in the last few years and in fact nearly ended up working in at least 2 Canadian Universities (long story - don't ask) I always find that the Candians I come across are barely aware of their own country; of what lies in all it's vastness and of it's history (what there is of that todate).

I find them very influenced by the USA, TV is mostly USA, the news is all USA driven (not surprising) and I find them all fascinated by British accents - get over that :-))

Sure they know about Toronto and Vancouver and Alberta and possibly they've heard of Halifax,NS due to the weather reports but outside of this their scope of knowledge about Canada is very narrow.

Now I'm not saying that the situation is any different in other countries; but at least we in the UK know the grass is mostly greener elsewhere; but the Canadian's I meet actually do think the grass is green; but after a bit of a discussion it often turns out that this is based only on their own little patch as they've never seen the rest - and I accept that this is one hell of a generalization to make and might well be to do with the type of people I end up taking to.

I recall one time that I was discussing poverty and homelessness with a friend when I was in Ontario and she commented that when she had been in London,UK that she was shocked at the number of rough sleepers/down-and-outs etc that there were here. I commented that I had had to step over many a homeless person shivering in the crazy cold temperatures you get whilst walking around Younge and ajoining streets whilst downtown. She didnt believe me as she hadnt seen any in her life. It turned out that this was because her life that had been spent in an enclosed narrow confine (both geographically and socially) meaning that these things hadnt registered and so long as she was seeing happy smiley faces in banal feel good soaps/comedies and getting plenty of donuts and coffee from Tim Hortons and that as far as she was aware that there were no issues in her home town then heck there couldnt be any in any other parts of Canada.

So I took to Younge one day, and we stayed there a long time and we saw numerous homeless, crazy people who looked and acted like they should be in institutions and when night drew in and she saw the Toronto packs wandering around in a drunken stupor it was quite enlightening. And when we were actually threatened by a crazy man she was scared to death. My London streetwise skills came in more than handy that day/night.

So what the point of all of this - nothing really except to say; sure it's a nice country but you got to cast your net wider sometimes. I actually quite like Canada; but then again I quite like the UK but I see neither of them through rose tinted glasses.

One of may favourite authors is Will Ferguson, a Canadian; who writes a lot about Canada as it goes. If you've never read anything by him; then give him a go. Try "Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw" which is subtitled "Travels in Search of Canada". I def. want to go to Victoria after reading his chapter on that - more British and crazier than the British; if he's to be believed.

By the way - I accept my comments are generalizations ;-0

No animals were harmed in the posting of this entry.

Over and out.

[snip]

A nation that does not fear to be different itself, or fear those who are

different. From the west coast, to the rockies, to the rolling plains, and to the sangat of Toronto. I am blessed with a vibrant, beautiful land, and I hope that in my life I will be able to travel to see more of it. Proud to call it MY country.  :nihungsmile: May all people be so lucky.

[snip]

106652[/snapback]

It's a real shame that despite the efforts of some and the obvious support from others that the Toronto Sangat hasn't been able to organise a protest.

See

http://tapoban.org/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=41205&t=41205

Please ..... BC Sikhs are doing it, UK Sikhs are doing it ..... any chance the Toronto Sikhs can?

GurFateh

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh,

I agree with Khalsa jio, this nation is so great. being born and raised here in Canada myself I can appreciate the amazingness of this country and what it has offered. There are so many people so ready to put Canada down, but living here, I can say first hand this is one of the greatest countries to live in.

Thank you Canada for everything :doh:

oh yea... HOCKEY RULEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :doh: :doh:

btw about the homeless issue i know first hand that they are trying very hard to get them off the streets and get them help... it's very sad though the number of people who dont want help .... but would rather stay on the street....

bhul chuk maaf.....

talking of homlessnes.. if u really wanan see misery then i m afraid u 'll have to comedown to India...everything is 'less'ness here...the food the water the air the liberty..and 'full'ness is Populatin, corruption, crime the human right voilation....nearly 30 persent of indian dont have food for two times a day yes 30%.30% of the indian population lives below poverty line have a look at Orissa state...u will nuffing but misery and misery and more misery. there have been quite a few deaths in India recently due to Starvation..yes juss think...they had nuffin to eat..they fed on just water and taht too poluted...and their body (i have seen on TV) had become sooo skilly there was hardly nething on it. even the women folks dont hve ne thing to wear let alone eating....u see the financial capital of india ..which want to vie wid manhatton or shangai have its 60% of population living in slums. yes 60%. when i talk in terms of percentage i means millions and millons of ppl...coz u know india is on the verge of population explossion bomb..its tickling..thank to beharis...and lalu je....and its gonna be very diffcult in living in Inida in the next decade or two coz of the unemplotyemnt....dont fell for BPO's...the crime willl increase..the comunal voilence will increase....if the ppl dint know understand it sooner i guess they will have to pay a BIG price for it like they previously have been paying....now u might as well be hearing bout flouds in Gujrat.which boats of the biggest and financial independent state...its in the hot-water now a days..so many ppl are being render homless millions have been effected...omg..punjab is not far from this tragedy....unemployment rate is on the increase....plus water is getting less day by day..no planning by environmentlist is being done...dat day is not far when u will have ppl in punjab fighing for the water...the land of fir rivers....but mind u india had not always been a country like this....we had Americans European comming to india for work..it was the most fertile country of the wholeworld...it has been technologicaly very advance country..the ayurveda the yoga..the yogis of india..the religion the sciece of spirituality all credit to india..all the major religion of the world alomost all..were born in india..like hindusim, sikhism, buddism. jainism..and thet wonderful discovery ..the discovery of SELF..no discovery in west compares to this..they found out who we really are....what is our purpose..the great gurus of ours..guru nanak dev je and all nine guru..and the eternal one ggrant sahib je...the vedas of hindu..sublime..the granths of budhism...the dampadas the kirshan.the kabir the ravidas and sooo many of them and the great Buddha...i guess the world owe a lot to this great county (not anymore). I guess u guys in the west shud be thankful to lord that u have not born in africa or India. but i guess alteast once in life u shud vist both India and Africa...then u will realise what i meant by u being thankful to lord. Ameen

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

amorphous_singh, you're completely right... you did generalize very much. The fact remains that Canada is probably THE MOST accepting when it comes to multiculturalism. I walk down the street and say 'hello' to complete strangers, and I don't get a dirty look because I'm not Caucasian. It must be the most diverse country in the world, and one of the nicest places to live. Let's not forget that West Vancouver was rated the best place to live in the world for how many years running, and still is in the Top 5.

Hanji... I am Canadian, and very, VERY proud of it. Happy Canada Day to all Canadians. (I'm a day late, I know.)

"(Waheguru) keep our land glorious and free."

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

haha

nowadays... im sorry, but we have no home. Nowhere to call "our own".

After the France issue (something i thought cud never happen in the 21st century) i dont trust the western world as much as i used to. If they can ban people from wearing symbols off their beliefs so easily like France did... it makes me wonder what they can do with a bit more force... they cud throw out all Sikhs! and the same goes for Canada and UK and anywhere.

We have no home jio :doh:

We are on borrowed time... borrowed land. May Khalistan be a dream come true. Gur bar akaal.

Sorry for the morbid thoughts.

VJKK VJKF

106656[/snapback]

Totally agree bro  pray.gif

With so much blood filling the foundations of Khalsa Raj, is there any doubt that it will be a reality?  :doh:

btw sony bhenji, thank waheguru for everything :T: