Amritdharis & Marriage

Guest Guest

Guest rsingh

vaheguruu ji ka khalsa vaheguruu ji ki fateh

A sikh can only marry a Sikh. if you are amritdharhi you shouuld marry and amritdharhi because after all marriage is becoming one and therefore you can both support each other in reaching your goal or merging with the supreme lord.

there are times when panj pyara refuse people amrit if they are married and there partner had not come with them to take amrit. From what I understand this use ot happen alot before.... where both partners would have to take amrit together. :-)

anand karaj can only be done of two sikhs no one of other faiths can be in an anand karaj as per panthic rehit.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about this...you have to have taken amrit to marry an amritdhari. Also if ure married they don't give you Amrit unless your partner also takes Amrit.

I am not gonna give my personal view on this but yea its true.

I know people who refuse to give this lady amrit because her husband won't take Amrit. So basically she really wants Amrit but they always tell her she cannot unless her partner takes it too and her partner basically doesn't wanna. She kinda wishes she had taken amrit before getting married - such is life!

btw this topic is old. I dunno why guest did a bump...something personal to them? Kinda old. I've read thru it all. Noting more to add. Heera did a gd job of clearing everything up. I really dunno what up with the bump

Yes if a couple are non amritdhari and are married, if one of the couple wants amrit the other has to take amrit to. Becuase they are married, and live together, its not possible to live as a couple with one being amritdhari and the other not.

However in bhai sahibs times, ive read a few cases where the same thing happened, the singh really wanted to take amrit but his wife didnt. He was so desperate for amrit, but his wife wasnt with him, so he was given amrit on the condition that he cut all ties/his relationship with his wife. So he wouldnt eat from her, had no sexual relationships with her etc. Actually i dont think he lived with her anymore.

So it depends how desperate one is for amrit, and if their willing to sacrifice stuff for it.

I have a question. My friend Sonu, has been studying for 4 yrs in London. She, has been dating a guy who is a complete amritdhari sikh. Sonu began to spend more and more time with him. She became so interested in Sikhi, she took amrit herself last yr. Sooon afer both of them had finished their University, he went on to further more his studies but she went back home. They stayed in touch thru phone, E-mail/msn... etc. Sooon after they both told they're parents they had met someone... etc... and want to get married. Her parents agreed. But his said no, because her family wasnt amritdhari, and they cut their hair .. eat meat.. etc..

Whats ur opinion on this..

Wjkk wjkf

hmm what do u mean they were dating? Amrit-dharis dating? I am not impressed by this!

In this case....the boy cannot marry the girl unless she takes Amrit. If the girl is willing to take it (and not for the wrong reasons....that is...just to marry him) and her heart is in it...than there is no problem if they stay together because then eventually they will both be amritdaree.

Also to reply to aman_kaur's comment....I just want to stress that DATING and being in a relationship with someone that you will potentially marry are two completely different scenario's. Dating is when a person goes from one partner to the next...kind of like "experimenting" which is wrong. However, if you are with someone that you want to marry then there is nothing wrong with that. Plus, I'm pretty sure that most people would want to get to know their future partner well enough before marriage which involves building a relationship with them.

I am pretty sure dating usually means in a partnership without doing marriage. And you said you are with someone, that surely means they are partners. This is rather liberal behaviour, "being with" someone before marriage. Sharam nehi ohndee lokaa nu??

A sikh can only marry a Sikh. if you are amritdharhi you shouuld marry and amritdharhi because after all marriage is becoming one and therefore you can both support each other in reaching your goal or merging with the supreme lord.

there are times when panj pyara refuse people amrit if they are married and there partner had not come with them to take amrit. From what I understand this use ot happen alot before.... where both partners would have to take amrit together. :-)

anand karaj can only be done of two sikhs no one of other faiths can be in an anand karaj as per panthic rehit.

I personally think these rules only apply to certain jathas, rules like amrit-dhari can only marry amrit-dhari, and that 2 married people should take amrit together etc.

To me these are more modern khalsa rules, I don't think this used to be the case, but I could be wrong. Because for one thing, I don't think the traditional places actually give amrit to women and men in the same bata, but then could be wrong again?

Because for one thing, I don't think the traditional places actually give amrit to women and men in the same bata, but then could be wrong again?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

are you implying that amrit should be given seperately to each gender?

well, I am trying to find out how the traditional places give it, not the modern institutions. I am just saying this from my limited knowledge.

Because for one thing, I don't think the traditional places actually give amrit to women and men in the same bata, but then could be wrong again?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

well, I am trying to find out how the traditional places give it, not the modern institutions. I am just saying this from my limited knowledge.

wjkkwjkf....

whatever i'v been told was that .. amritdharis can only marry amrithdaris.... if 1 of the person isnt amritdhari they should get amritdhari before the anand kaaraj.... and also the point about both husband and wife having to go for amrit chak... i was told that is only the case when a couple have a baby... then have to go do peshi, with the new born baby..

and amrit is given from the same baata...not like different for diff. genders...lol

think about it... guru ji always kept bibiyan at same level as singhs... then how can amrit be given separately...

bhul chuk maaf ji

wjkkwjkf

I heard about this...you have to have taken amrit to marry an amritdhari. Also if ure married they don't give you Amrit unless your partner also takes Amrit.

I know people who refuse to give this lady amrit because her husband won't take Amrit. So basically she really wants Amrit but they always tell her she cannot unless her partner takes it too and her partner basically doesn't wanna. She kinda wishes she had taken amrit before getting married - such is life!

this happen to a lady who wanted to take amrit they sed no cuz of her husband

she sed i think to the giani or da punj or sumone

"u cum in this world alone and you will go alone let me sort my life out if my husband does not wanna"

the giani woz like :6

>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

wjkkwjkf....

whatever i'v been told was that .. amritdharis can only marry amrithdaris.... if 1 of the person isnt amritdhari they should get amritdhari before the anand kaaraj.... and also the point about both husband and wife having to go for amrit chak... i was told that is only the case when a couple have a baby... then have to go do peshi, with the new born baby..

and amrit is given from the same baata...not like different for diff. genders...lol

think about it... guru ji always kept bibiyan at same level as singhs... then how can amrit be given separately...

bhul chuk maaf ji

wjkkwjkf

I need to find out a bit more, having limited knowledge, I will try and get back if this thread is still active.

this happen to a lady who wanted to take amrit they sed no cuz of her husband

she sed i think to the giani or da punj or sumone

"u cum in this world alone and you will go alone let me sort my life out if my husband does not wanna"

the giani woz like :6

There must be places where she can take amrit?