Sikhnet

Guest Guest

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So me being a sikh, say I chant OM HARI RAM, I cannot get closer to God?

It will not be Sikhi. Do whatever you want just don't mix your personal beliefs with Sikhi.

dude get real, you can wait for your kirpa but allow others to make strides as well. If there is a physical exercise that also helps you spiritually then why don't you accept that? Gardening can seriously help one spiritually as can many other activities.

These are your personal beliefs and not part of Sikhi. Only those receive Kirpa who wish to follow the Hukam of Guru Sahib Ji and don't do the following:

ਖਸਮੁ ਛੋਡਿ ਦੂਜੈ ਲਗੇ ਡੁਬੇ ਸੇ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ॥

Physical exercises do not get you closer to Waheguru. Naam Simran does and Gurbani is clear on how to do Naam Simran and does not involve Yoga. Discuss Sikhi point of view not your views.

You should get off that high horse and revel in your humanity, that is the highest form of spirituality there is. Unity in Diversity.

Perhaps you should get off the mule and start riding the high horse. Highest spirituality is to live in the society and at the same time live above it. truthful living is the highest in Sikhi.

What good is diversity if we have to compromise Sikhi principles? There are numerous quotes in Gurbani, Dasam Bani and Bhai Gurdas Ji's Vaars that condemn yoga.

ਖਟੁ ਦਰਸਨ ਜੋਗੀ ਸੰਨਿਆਸੀ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਏ ॥

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਤਾ ਗਤਿ ਮਿਤਿ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਮੰਨਿ ਵਸਾਏ ॥

ਭਗਉਤੀ ਰਹਤ ਜੁਗਤਾ ॥ ਜੋਗੀ ਕਹਤ ਮੁਕਤਾ ॥

ਤਪਸੀ ਤਪਹਿ ਰਾਤਾ ॥2॥ ਮੋਨੀ ਮੋਨਿਧਾਰੀ ॥

ਸਨਿਆਸੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਚਾਰੀ ॥ ਉਦਾਸੀ ਉਦਾਸਿ ਰਾਤਾ ॥3॥.......

ਸਗਲ ਉਕਤਿ ਉਪਾਵਾ ॥ ਤਿਆਗੀ ਸਰਨਿ ਪਾਵਾ ॥ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਗੁਰ ਚਰਣਿ ਪਰਾਤਾ ॥8॥2॥27॥

ਇਕੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਜੋਗੀ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਉਠਿ ਧਾਵੈ ਜੀਉ ॥3॥

ਐਸਾ ਜੋਗੀ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਭੇਟੈ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੇ ਬੰਧਨ ਕਾਟੈ ॥

ਸੇਵਾ ਪੂਜ ਕਰਉ ਤਿਸੁ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਕੀ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਿਸੁ ਪਗ ਚਾਟੈ ॥5॥11॥132॥

ਸਿਧ ਨਾਥ ਜੋਗੀ ਜੋਗ ਧਿਆਨ ਮੈ ਨ ਆਨ ਸਕੇ ਬੇਦ ਪਾਠ ਕਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾਦਿਕ ਨ ਜਾਨੇ ਹੈ ॥

(ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ ਜੀ)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

MOD NOTICE

This thread will be closed within 2 working days. Please post your final thoughts on the topic before 9th December 2005 to avoid disappointment.

Moderators of the forum reserve the right to close the topic within the two day grace period as well.

For more information please e-mail contact@sikhsangat.com

Many thanks

SikhSangat.com

Close it for what reason? Is there a page limit? Let yoga supporters prove their case.

138821[/snapback]

Bijla Singh, what prove?

I already gave you references from soraj parkash granth (edited version by bhai vir singh ji). The fact is these days sikhs use gurbani, rehitnamas, soraj parkash to suit their own needs but if something challenges their mindset, they quickly reject it...I thought you can better than that..but nah ..you are just over parnoid just like them, quick to reject references calling it hindu mat.

I agree soraj parkash has stuff like hindu-devi worshipping but all this stuff was edited by bhai sahib bhai vir singh ji..i m quoting very well know sakhi of mata ajetoo kaur and sri guru gobind singh ji which is included in edited version of soraj parkash granth by bhai vir singh ji...what you going to do now? ignore bhai vir singh ji because he don't fit in your defination of gurmat? lol..

This going to sound harsh but sikh these days use gurbani, rehitnamas and other puratan granths as long as stuff in them comforts their beliefs and their jatha'..minute it's challenges their beleif or their jathas. They start rejecting stuff by their manmat instead of Gurmat.

You guys make Gurmat look like sharia !

Guru di mat does not revolve around these issues...oh yoga is anti-gurmat and people who do must be debated.

This is included in Soraj Parkash Granth(edited version by bhai vir singh ji) and this sakhi is orginally found in sau sakhi of sri guru gobind singh ji..

According to a prasang(divan) on chapter of mata ajeeto kaur(first wife of 10th master) reaching enlightment. Mata ajeto kaur was under guidance of siri guroo gobind singh where she was taught all the "yog sadhna/Shabad Surat Marg by sri guru gobind singh ji, chakras above navel were used", when mata ji did yog sadhna, her birthi(dhyaan) reached - Trikurti/3rd eye..she started seeing the future e.g. the besiegement of Sri Anandpur Sahib, leaving the kila etc and the shaheedia of the char sahibjadey. After seeing this in a dream she asked Guru Gobind Singh jee whether this was true, Guru Sahib confirmed this.

Mata jee then told guru jee that she could not see all this pain happen and would rather die/ leave for Sachkand and asked permission to leave her body. Guru Sahib jee granted her permission and subsequently she did ishnaan, a Sukhmani Sahib da Paath and then left her body by reciting the guru mantara and with that mantar taking her prana on top and realising it via bhram randar nari (vein connected with dasam dwar)) through dasam dwara.

This sakhi is told by many sants from different samparda's. You can confirm with any taksali singh who has proper studying of soraj parkash granth.

^^ dude get real, you can wait for your kirpa but allow others to make strides as well. If there is a physical exercise that also helps you spiritually then why don't you accept that? Gardening can seriously help one spiritually as can many other activities.

You should get off that high horse and revel in your humanity, that is the highest form of spirituality there is. Unity in Diversity.

138761[/snapback]

\

Can you please enumerate OTHER activities that can help me spirituallly... maybe i should start gardening early in the morning. I've been in darkness all this while. I guess all the gardners have high spiritual level blush.gif

I am waiting for my kirpa, but i'm not stopping anyone.... if someone wants to practice yoga, be my guest... I might learn for physical fitness, but attaining spirituality is different..... the siddhas and yogis guru nanak devji met practised yoga, but still they were clueless about GOD. I guess they should have tried gardening.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Close it for what reason? Is there a page limit? Let yoga supporters prove their case.

138821[/snapback]

Bijla Singh, what prove?

I already gave you references from soraj parkash granth (edited version by bhai vir singh ji). The fact is these days sikhs use gurbani, rehitnamas, soraj parkash to suit their own needs but if something challenges their mindset, they quickly reject it...I thought you can better than that..but nah ..you are just over parnoid just like them, quick to reject references calling it hindu mat.

I agree soraj parkash has stuff like hindu-devi worshipping but all this stuff was edited by bhai sahib bhai vir singh ji..i m quoting very well know sakhi of mata ajetoo kaur and sri guru gobind singh ji which is included in edited version of soraj parkash granth by bhai vir singh ji...what you going to do now? ignore bhai vir singh ji because he don't fit in your defination of gurmat? lol..

This going to sound harsh but sikh these days use gurbani, rehitnamas and other puratan granths as long as stuff in them comforts their beliefs and their jatha'..minute it's challenges their beleif or their jathas. They start rejecting stuff by their manmat instead of Gurmat.

Guru di mat does not revolve around these issues...oh yoga is anti-gurmat and people who do must be debated.

This is included in Soraj Parkash Granth(edited version by bhai vir singh ji) and this sakhi is orginally found in sau sakhi of sri guru gobind singh ji..

According to a prasang(divan) on chapter of mata ajeeto kaur(first wife of 10th master) reaching enlightment. Mata ajeto kaur was under guidance of siri guroo gobind singh where she was taught all the "yog sadhna/Shabad Surat Marg by sri guru gobind singh ji, chakras above navel were used", when mata ji did yog sadhna, her birthi(dhyaan) reached - Trikurti/3rd eye..she started seeing the future e.g. the besiegement of Sri Anandpur Sahib, leaving the kila etc and the shaheedia of the char sahibjadey. After seeing this in a dream she asked Guru Gobind Singh jee whether this was true, Guru Sahib confirmed this.

Mata jee then told guru jee that she could not see all this pain happen and would rather die/ leave for Sachkand and asked permission to leave her body. Guru Sahib jee granted her permission and subsequently she did ishnaan, a Sukhmani Sahib da Paath and then left her body by reciting the guru mantara and with that mantar taking her prana on top and realising it via bhram randar nari (vein connected with dasam dwar)) through dasam dwara.

This sakhi is told by many sants from different samparda's. You can confirm with any taksali singh who has proper studying of soraj parkash granth.

138839[/snapback]

How are we sure that mataji got enlightened only by yoga? Didnt she did naam simran? And being wife of dashmesh pita is not a trivial thing. Without HIS kirpa she would not have been enlightned. It is by HIS grace that naam is achieved and not by physical excersises. I havent heard of an anaolgy teaching that by doing physical activity you can win over mind and make it do meditation. Its other way around "mann jitey jag jeet" and mind can be won by naam and without guru's grace there is no naam, no matter how hard you try. All we can is request guruji. Mata ajeetoji got her spiritual strength from guruji, and saying she was enlightned by yoga would be wrong in my view.

Yoga for physical fitness is good like most other excercises, but i hardly believe it could elevate one's spiritual level. How many people here in sangat follow a yogic routine that has helped them spiritually? It should be left alone as an excercise rather than being labelled a requsite for sikhs. Who knows tomorrow we will have section of sangat debating for gardening as part of sikhism.

bhul chuk maaf

138821[/snapback]

Bijla Singh, what prove?

138839[/snapback]

How are we sure that mataji got enlightened only by yoga? Didnt she did naam simran? And being wife of dashmesh pita is not a trivial thing. Without HIS kirpa she would not have been enlightned. It is by HIS grace that naam is achieved and not by physical excersises. I havent heard of an anaolgy teaching that by doing physical activity you can win over mind and make it do meditation. Its other way around "mann jitey jag jeet" and mind can be won by naam and without guru's grace there is no naam, no matter how hard you try. All we can is request guruji. Mata ajeetoji got her spiritual strength from guruji, and saying she was enlightned by yoga would be wrong in my view.

Yoga for physical fitness is good like most other excercises, but i hardly believe it could elevate one's spiritual level. How many people here in sangat follow a yogic routine that has helped them spiritually? It should be left alone as an excercise rather than being labelled a requsite for sikhs. Who knows tomorrow we will have section of sangat debating for gardening as part of sikhism.

bhul chuk maaf

138854[/snapback]

who said mata ji got enlightened by only "yoga". Above sakhi proves that mata ji used "yog sadhna" in her bhagti along with shabad surat marg, grace of sri guru gobind singh ji

138821[/snapback]

Bijla Singh, what prove?

138839[/snapback]

bhul chuk maaf

138854[/snapback]

who said mata ji got enlightened by only "yoga". Above sakhi proves that mata ji used "yog sadhna" in her bhagti along with shabad surat marg, grace of sri guru gobind singh ji

138862[/snapback]

That is what i am saying...... People who say by practicing yoga you can achieve higher spirituality is wrong. Its bhagti that will take you there. And for 3HO singhs to say that yoga can do that for them and yoga should be inseparable part of sikhi is wrong. You can practice it to stay fit like eating healthy and following a healthy routine..... A healthy body doesnt necessarily mean higher spiritual level. Spirituality is only achievable by guruji's grace. And I guess yoga doesnt get us guru's grace.

First of all we are spiritual beings having a human experience NOT human beings having a spiritual experience so what is there to attain? What have you attained? what have others you are observing attained? According to you there is a tiny box called "sikhi" and everything outside of the box is oh so wrong, what a pathetic limited definition. Intellectually understanding Gurbani is not Sikhi, looking towards what Gurbani is pointing to is Sikhi. Just my opinion, argue all you want.

^^ dude get real, you can wait for your kirpa but allow others to make strides as well. If there is a physical exercise that also helps you spiritually then why don't you accept that? Gardening can seriously help one spiritually as can many other activities.

138761[/snapback]

\

Can you please enumerate OTHER activities that can help me spirituallly... maybe i should start gardening early in the morning. I've been in darkness all this while. I guess all the gardners have high spiritual level blush.gif

I am waiting for my kirpa, but i'm not stopping anyone.... if someone wants to practice yoga, be my guest... I might learn for physical fitness, but attaining spirituality is different..... the siddhas and yogis guru nanak devji met practised yoga, but still they were clueless about GOD. I guess they should have tried gardening.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

138845[/snapback]