Origin Of Mankind

Rajs

Hi,

God made Adam from the dust of the ground and made him a living soul, says the Bible.

The Guru Granth (page 1161 - line 7) refers to Adam, as the” father of mankind.” Does it mean Sikhism accepts biblical view on the origin of man?

If so, then the perceived Sikhism concept of reincarnation, taken from Hinduism, with eventual freedom of the soul from cycle of re-births through Guru’s enlightenment is baseless.

If Sikhism rejects the biblical origin of man, then in what context, is Adam the father of mankind, as stated in the Guru Granth?

Regards

Rajs

SIKHI does not have any mention of Adam, and does not believe in the Judeo-Christian line of thinking on creation. Please do not start a debate when there is nothing to debate, or call any thing within our faith baseless. If your reason for coming on this site was to preach christianity and incite arguments, I ask you humbly to leave. Fateh.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Actually lost soul, SGGS does reference Adam ONCE.

bwbw Awdm kau ikCu ndir idKweI ]

baabaa aadhum ko kish nudhar dhikhaaee

He bestowed His Grace on Adam, the father of mankind,

auin BI iBsiq GnyrI pweI ]2]

oun bhee bhisath ghunaeree paaee

who then lived in paradise for a long time. ||2||

BUT notice that this piece of Gurbani was written by Bhagat Kabeer jee, a muslim. As such do not forget that much of SGGS is written with example, talking about Waheguroo's greatness with examples from the time and place. But just because it references adam does not mean that Sikhs believe that Adam was the first human that existed as Christo-Judiasm-Islam would have us believe.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

"baabaa aadhum ko kish nudhar dhikhaaee"

>>He bestowed His Grace on Adam, the father of mankind,<<

As Simmal tree pointed out, the "father of mankind" bit has been added by the translator for whatever reason, but the actual shabad makes no such reference.

The correct translation should read "He bestowed hid grace on Baba Adam"...

with the shabad following being "who then lived in paradise for a long time".

On a side note, this "Rajs" character has been visiting quite a few Sikhi forums to push his Christian agenda. Just thought i'd let the sangat know.

He has plenty more copy/paste posts up his sleeve.

0/1 so far buddy :TH:

The shabad is refering to Baba Aadam (i.e Adam) is Bhagat Kabeer Jee's response to a Muslim Maulvi (priest) who is trying to persuade him to become a Muslim through teasing him with the thought of going to Heaven (if he becomes Muslim). Here's the full shabad:

ਸਤਰਿ ਸੈਇ ਸਲਾਰ ਹੈ ਜਾ ਕੇ ॥ ਸਵਾ ਲਾਖੁ ਪੈਕਾਬਰ ਤਾ ਕੇ ॥ ਸੇਖ ਜੁ ਕਹੀਅਹਿ ਕੋਟਿ ਅਠਾਸੀ ॥ ਛਪਨ ਕੋਟਿ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਖੇਲ ਖਾਸੀ ॥1॥

(O person!) The God (you say) has 7,000 commanders, and (you say) has one hundred and twenty-five thousand prophets serving Him; He is said to have 88,000,000 old sheikhs (living at His door), and who (you say) has 56,000,000 attendants (up to His court). ||1||

ਮੋ ਗਰੀਬ ਕੀ, ਕੋ ਗੁਜਰਾਵੈ ॥ ਮਜਲਸਿ ਦੂਰਿ, ਮਹਲੁ ਕੋ ਪਾਵੈ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

I am meek and poor - what chance do I have of being heard there? (Then you say that) His Court is so far away (in the seventh sky); (I am a poor Weaver,) who will find God’s House? ||1||Pause||

ਤੇਤੀਸ ਕਰੋੜੀ ਹੈ ਖੇਲ ਖਾਨਾ ॥ ਚਉਰਾਸੀ ਲਖ ਫਿਰੈ ਦਿਵਾਨਾਂ ॥ ਬਾਬਾ ਆਦਮ ਕਉ ਕਿਛੁ ਨਦਰਿ ਦਿਖਾਈ ॥ ਉਨਿ ਭੀ ਭਿਸਤਿ ਘਨੇਰੀ ਪਾਈ ॥2॥

(The people who talk of Heaven also say that) He has 33,000,000 angels as His servants (how will they even listen to me?). His beings (separated and lost) wander insanely through 8.4 million incarnations. (O person! You say that God kept ‘Adam’ (the supposed father of Mankind) in Paradise, but according to you) when God (according to His Will) glanced his eye of Grace on Adam, then that Adam only enjoyed Paradise for a short while (because he was removed from there, so if people like Adam have been removed, then tell me, how long will someone like me be allowed to last there?) ||2||

ਦਿਲ ਖਲਹਲੁ ਜਾ ਕੈ, ਜਰਦ ਰੂ ਬਾਨੀ ॥ ਛੋਡਿ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਰੈ ਸੈਤਾਨੀ ॥ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੋਸੁ, ਰੋਸੁ ਹੈ ਲੋਈ ॥ ਅਪਨਾ ਕੀਆ ਪਾਵੈ ਸੋਈ ॥3॥

Those who have forsaken (the path shown in) their religious-books and turn to follow bad practices, their hearts are disturbed (with wickedness and corruption), and their faces turn pale (i.e. he or she get pushed away from Waheguru’s Door). A person receives the fruits of one’s own action, but (in ignorance) one blames others, and gets angry with the world. ||3||

Here the conversation is with a Muslim, for this reason the word used for religious-books is “Kateb”.

ਤੁਮ ਦਾਤੇ ਹਮ ਸਦਾ ਭਿਖਾਰੀ ॥ ਦੇਉ ਜਬਾਬੁ, ਹੋਇ ਬਜਗਾਰੀ ॥ ਦਾਸੁ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਤੇਰੀ ਪਨਹ ਸਮਾਨਾਂ ॥ ਭਿਸਤੁ, ਨਜੀਕਿ ਰਾਖੁ ਰਹਮਾਨਾ ॥4॥7॥15॥

(O my Lord! I have no need for any Paradise or Heaven) You are my Great Giver, I am forever a beggar at Your Door (whatever You are giving me that is fine). If I were to deny You, then I would be a wretched sinner. Slave Kabeer has entered Your Shelter. O Merciful Lord Waheguru! Keep me near You Feet – that is heaven for me. ||4||7||15||

(English translation based on Professor Sahib Singh's 'Guru Granth Darpan')