Rename Indira Gandhi International Airport Now!

Perhaps you'd have more say in the situation if you still lived in India.

my family is landing there on friday. Thank you.

I agree about renaming it, but you're pointing out that it should be renamed to the opposition of Indira Gandhi.

who's indira gandhi a hero for? Jagdish Tytler?

What I'm trying to say is simply this - why should the airport be named after anyone?

OK, if you live in India, then ask people that question at indira Gandhi airport.

mehtab singh, i wish there were more sikhs like you.

I really think you're misunderstanding what I mean. I am not saying I live in India, nor am I trying to judge anybody who doesn't live in India. But the point is it's pointless trying to dictate who it should be named after since the people who are in control in India are dictating it themselves.

And I did not say Indira Gandhi is a hero. I'm saying there are 2 sides to the story, and the reality is if you do something to oppose the decision already made, there's going to be another handful of people who are going to get angry. Why cause more trouble for?

People of India don't know what the government has been hiding from them - they are ignorant to that and it is not their fault. Just because they see an airport named Indira Gandhi International Airport everyday doesn't mean they support the slaughter of innocent civilians. I don't think every single Indian in India is that evil, do you?

As Manchester Sikhi rightly pointed out, there is nothing to gain by renaming an airport - that is such a materialistic thing to do. Especially with all that finance involved for it (I didn't think of that, so thanks for pointing that out Manchester Sikhi!) Besides, do we really need to name buildings after people in order to remember them? Aren't our elders' teachings about our history enough?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is becasue of Guru Teg Bahadur that the dharma of the hindus was saved. There would be a green flag in Delhi right now if our Guru had not sacrificed himself for them.

Some people will say, oh don't exaggerrate, it wasn't that big a sacrifice...but this is what true Gursikhs will tell you. This is what Baba Kartar Singh ji told the sangat who had gathered for the shaheedi divas of Guru Teg Bahadur sahib in delhi. Indira Gandhi came and everyone got up to show her respect, but Baba Kartar Singh remained seated. When it was his turn to speak, he told it like it is. He told the sangat, including the politicians like Indira, that it is becasue of Guru Teg Bahadur that you are enjoying freedom, otherwise there would be no seat of Delhi existing for these politicians to hold.

Someone sacrificing himself to save an entire religion, and that not even his own, I don't know how more neutral you can get.

But what can we expect, these very ungrateful people ridicule Guruji's shaheedi in their textbooks, forget about renaming an airport.

mehtab singh, i wish there were more sikhs like you.
nahi veeray...that would be terrible! blush.gif :lol: @
Someone sacrificing himself to save an entire religion, and that not even his own, I don't know how more neutral you can get.

But what can we expect, these very ungrateful people ridicule Guruji's shaheedi in their textbooks, forget about renaming an airport.

Thats it!!! Very well put!! And yes thats sad.

The suspension of democracy in 1970s(the emergency), forced sterilizations, what did Indira Gandhi do to warrant this respect? Kill Sikhs? Yeah everybody applauded that. How could a country which proclaims to be the "largest democracy" in the world respect a woman who suspended democracy and civil liberties in the 1970s? Do people know who protested the emergency the most, SIKHS.

The same people who call her Durga mata called her a witch when she suspended democracy. But after she wooed back the hindu votes by spilling sikh blood she became an Indian devi.

This trend of honoring killers has to end in India. Our hindu brothers and sisters need to wake up and see what is fact and what is fiction. They need to do the right thing.

This trend of honoring killers has to end in India. Our hindu brothers and sisters need to wake up and see what is fact and what is fiction. They need to do the right thing.

Here is a list of a few Indian politicians who have an "amazing" track record (don't quote me as this is what I have either seen/read in the news, and even heard from here and there)

Phoolan Devi - a dreaded dacoit, became a politician, got killed

Mulayam Singh Yadav - former defense minister, I heard he used to be a dacoit as well

Shahabuddin - a leader from Bihar now under arrest

Shibu Soren - another leader from Bihar who was/is a goonda as well

Arun Gawli - former Mumbai underworld don now a politician in Maharashtra

Thats all I can think on top of my head right now...there are more that I can't come up with at the moment...the list goes on and on...there are some whose past is known, and others whose isn't, but they are all usually the same.

I agree there are all sorts of dodgy people at the airport, i remember when i went to dehli airport in 1997 i was only 9 and i got lost and some guy starting looking at me in a perverted manner and then started following me!!! :wub: @ The worst thing is im a guy well i was a boy then however luckily some canadian guy saved me, im so grateful- i could have been kidnapped. :@

Yeah, well i'm still alive and looking for you! :@

So your the lucha ohmy.gif did you have no shame checking out a 9 yr old :lol:

Shame?? I'm a baba, why would i have any shame :e:

• 2 months later...

Jews in India have no fear in opposing the name of a restaurant in Mumbai named after Hitler. They do not sit at home thinking "Whats in a name". These Jews have faced persecution throughout their history and are standing up against the naming of a restaurant in their country after a tyrant who killed 6 million people of their community. Why can't Sikhs take a stand and make their voice heard?

http://www.samachar.com/showurl.htm?rurl=h...ery~angers~Jews

Mumbai's ‘Hitler’ eatery angers Jews

Mumbai: A new restaurant in Mumbai, named after Adolf Hitler and promoted with posters showing the German leader and Nazi swastikas, has infuriated the country's small Jewish community.

'Hitler's Cross', which opened last week, serves up a wide range of continental fare and a big helping of controversy, thanks to a name the owners say they chose to stand out among hundreds of Mumbai eateries.

"We wanted to be different. This is one name that will stay in people's minds," owner Punit Shablok said.

"We are not promoting Hitler. But we want to tell people we are different in the way he was different."

But India's remaining Jews -- most migrated to Israel and the West over the years -- say they are outraged by the gimmick.

"This signifies a severe lack of awareness of the agony of millions of Jews caused by one man," said Jonathan Solomon, chairman of the Indian Jewish Federation, the community's umbrella organisation. "We are going to stop this deification of Hitler," he said without elaborating.

The small restaurant, its interior done out in the Nazi colours of red, white and black, also has a lounge for smoking the exotic Indian water pipe or ‘hookah.’

Posters line the road leading up to it, featuring a red swastika carved in the name of the eatery. One slogan reads: ‘From Small Bites to Mega Joys.’

A huge portrait of a stern-looking Fuehrer greets visitors at the door. The cross in the restaurant's name refers to the swastika that symbolised the Nazi regime.

"This place is not about wars or crimes, but where people come to relax and enjoy a meal," said restaurant manager Fatima Kabani, adding that they were planning to turn the eatery's name into a brand with more branches in Mumbai.

The swastika has its roots in ancient Indian Hindu tradition and remains a sacred symbol for Hindus. Nazi theorists appropriated it to bolster their central hypothesis of the Aryan origins of the German people.

If the Indira Gandhi international airport is s*itty and smelly as someone suggested then shouldn't the name stay ?? LOL.gif

Anyhow the airport has another name which is "Palam airport" since it is part of the Palam village nearby. You can call it by that name, most people call the airport "Palam" anyways because no one remembers its official name.

If the Indira Gandhi international airport is s*itty and smelly as someone suggested then shouldn't the name stay ?? LOL.gif

Anyhow the airport has another name which is "Palam airport" since it is part of the Palam village nearby. You can call it by that name, most people call the airport "Palam" anyways because no one remembers its official name.

Really! I always thought Palam was another airport.

Really! I always thought Palam was another airport.

Name was changed after the opening of Terminal-II, before that it was known as Palam Airport. Now the older terminal is called Palam and it is used for domestic flights.

I just call it "Palam International" and "Palam Domestic" !