What Would You Change At Your Gurdwara? [in Your Opinion]

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

I think we should get rid of the names of the Gurdwaras because some specify what caste should only attend there (and we shouldn't have the whole caste thing going on anyways) e.g. ramgharia Guru Nanak Gurdwara(ugh!) (how can it be sikh and ramgharia). Also some Gurdwaras ive been to such as Guru Tegh Bahadar Gurdwara have refered to that Guru in the Ardas first (whih is obviously wrong!) The Gurdwaras shouldn't be named after a partiular Guru (and why aren't any named after Than Than Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i totally agree with wannabekaur5 this should be done. But one of the main problems in many local gurdwaras is the hygiene in the kitchens and langar halls. because all the people are voluntary workers not all of them clean properly no.gif and they only clean the same stuff again but no one bothers cleaning up properly, I always try my best to help but wat can i do single handed? in my opinion there should be a group of cleaners called in or somesort of a rotation of the cleaning to be done. in one of the gurdwaras in my area the kitchen has been closed down by the health inspectors! so yeah thats wat i think shud be done.

i totally agree with wannabekaur5 this should be done. But one of the main problems in many local gurdwaras is the hygiene in the kitchens and langar halls. because all the people are voluntary workers not all of them clean properly no.gif and they only clean the same stuff again but no one bothers cleaning up properly, I always try my best to help but wat can i do single handed? in my opinion there should be a group of cleaners called in or somesort of a rotation of the cleaning to be done. in one of the gurdwaras in my area the kitchen has been closed down by the health inspectors! so yeah thats wat i think shud be done.

People who have pyar for Guru Ji will make more of an effort when they do sewa, you will see the love and devotion in their sewa. The problem is when people don't see sewa as gift but a chore.

I think we should get rid of the names of the Gurdwaras because some specify what caste should only attend there (and we shouldn't have the whole caste thing going on anyways) e.g. ramgharia Guru Nanak Gurdwara(ugh!) (how can it be sikh and ramgharia). Also some Gurdwaras ive been to such as Guru Tegh Bahadar Gurdwara have refered to that Guru in the Ardas first (whih is obviously wrong!) The Gurdwaras shouldn't be named after a partiular Guru (and why aren't any named after Than Than Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?)

Name all Gurdwaras 'Guru Nanak'

More programs to educate kids and youth. They are the future of sikhi and their sponge like minds can absorb a lot and can help them build good jeevan.All i see is kids running around as it is their field trip. Also i agree with sitargirlji that translations should be avoided. We should not get dependent on english translations. If we can make effort to practice our nitnem and amrit rehit, then why shrug to learn gurmukhi to read guruji's message in unaltered form!

More programs to educate kids and youth. They are the future of sikhi and their sponge like minds can absorb a lot and can help them build good jeevan.All i see is kids running around as it is their field trip. Also i agree with sitargirlji that translations should be avoided. We should not get dependent on english translations. If we can make effort to practice our nitnem and amrit rehit, then why shrug to learn gurmukhi to read guruji's message in unaltered form!

talk about ethnocentrisism at work... come on, the only we can encourge outside people to actually know us, is if we provide the resources for them to see what sikhi is about. Translations are not altered form of the gurus message, of course, if you go and change the meaning, you will get a changed version.

Gurmakhi is just another language style... it is after all, another language. The gurus did create it from other languages, however, never once said that we are bound to it or cant use other forms of communications. What about deaf people? They will need braille or other forms... are we going to deprive them or the gurus message over a silly little language preference?

think about it... it's time to move on and expand outside our own comfort zone.