Accepting Roti From Sehajdhari Mother

Sehajdhari, Kesadhari, Amritdhari, blah blah blah

Either one is a Sikh or isnt, he or she who has taken Amrit are Sikhs, people who still have to take that step are yet to become Sikhs. I just hope the ones who have taken Amrit dont let their ego consume them and dont forget that taken Amrit is the "initial" stage of becoming a Sikh. Its what one does with Amrit that really matters.

Guru ji said it himself, first take Khande-pahul da Amrit, this is the first step.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Can I say we are all Sikhs, one who doesnt take "Amrit" doesnt necessarily mean he/she is not a Sikh. She/he is Sikh but not an Amritdhari Sikh.

I mean if they are not Sikhs what are they? Hindus? Muslims?

no.gif

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either one is a Sikh or isnt, he or she who has taken Amrit are Sikhs, people who still have to take that step are yet to become Sikhs. I just hope the ones who have taken Amrit dont let their ego consume them and dont forget that taken Amrit is the "initial" stage of becoming a Sikh. Its what one does with Amrit that really matters.

Guru ji said it himself, first take Khande-pahul da Amrit, this is the first step.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thats funny since it means in your world out of the 30 odd people in my extended family only one of them is seen as a Sikh in your eyes ohmy.gif

Guest Narinder Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Can I say we are all Sikhs, one who doesnt take "Amrit" doesnt necessarily mean he/she is not a Sikh. She/he is Sikh but not an Amritdhari Sikh.

no.gif

So according to u Guru ji made different Sikhs, he made drunks who havent giant khande stickers on their cars, people who keep their hair but dont follow rehit at all, then people who take amrit and follow rehit, these are the Sikhs Guru Sahib made huh?

Sikh means learner, and in order to learn u must take admission into a school and abide by those rules, if one hasnt done so, how can one enter the school or Sikhi? That's like me saying i go to oxford or harvard because i wear a shirt that says "oxford" or "harvard".

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thats funny since it means in your world out of the 30 odd people in my extended family only one of them is seen as a Sikh in your eyes ohmy.gif

Yup including myself, since i havent taken Amrit, surprise surprise! ohmy.gif

But dont worry, i used to think it was pretty sad that out of the 20 million so called sikhs in this world, probably less than 2 million have taken Amrit, then i realized that it wasnt quantity but quality that matters. We have over 20 million Sikhs through out the world today, but what has it gotten us? Nothing. When Banda Singh Ji Bahadur ruled across Punjab, Sikhs were less than a million.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

no.gif

So according to u Guru ji made different Sikhs, he made drunks who havent giant khande stickers on their cars, people who keep their hair but dont follow rehit at all, then people who take amrit and follow rehit, these are the Sikhs Guru Sahib made huh?

Sikh means learner, and in order to learn u must take admission into a school and abide by those rules, if one hasnt done so, how can one enter the school or Sikhi? That's like me saying i go to oxford or harvard because i wear a shirt that says "oxford" or "harvard".

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Yup including myself, since i havent taken Amrit, surprise surprise! ohmy.gif

But dont worry, i used to think it was pretty sad that out of the 20 million so called sikhs in this world, probably less than 2 million have taken Amrit, then i realized that it wasnt quantity but quality that matters. We have over 20 million Sikhs through out the world today, but what has it gotten us? Nothing. When Banda Singh Ji Bahadur ruled across Punjab, Sikhs were less than a million.

So what are you trying to say is that anyone who hasnt taken amrit isnt a Sikh? What are they then? and let me say we were born in to a Sikh family, Guru ji didnt create us, he created the "khalsa".

I dont agree with you at all, cos it doesnt make logic. We are all learners regardless of not or even abiding to any rules, one learns in some time in their life. no.gif

Bibek rehit is eating food cooked by amritdharis who prepare the food in sarbloh while reciting naam/bani. In my understanding, this is an important hukam and principle for Gursikhs.

The reason for this is that just like amrit is prepared in sarbloh while reciting bani by amritdharis, Gursikhs like to try to get this same effect every day. Food does have an effect on us. What the person preparing the food is doing/thinking also has an effect. The goal is to get a spiritual boost from the food.

This isn't a blind discriminatory rule. If even there is an amritdhari who does not keep rehit, or prepares the food while gossiping, that food isn't acceptable according to the principle of bibek. Coming to the issue at hand, even though your mother is a sehajdhari, according to the principle of bibek, she has not received amrit and been given the vibration of naam and so she can't prepare that food which Gurmat Bibek envisions and intends.

The decision regarding what you will do is yours. I can say from my own experience that I have a close relationship with my sehajdhari mother (I dont' use the term Sehajdhari loosely but for someone who keeps kesh, reads bani, etc but isn't yet amritdhari), but I don't eat food prepared by her. I've explained the situation to her and for the last 5+ years everything has been fine. Handle the situation with tenderness and love and things work out.

I dont agree with you at all, cos it doesnt make logic. We are all learners regardless of not or even abiding to any rules, one learns in some time in their life. no.gif

It makes perfectly logical sense. The primary rehit of a Sikh is to receive Amrit ("Pratham Rehit Yeh Jaan, Khande-kee-Pahul Chhakey. Soee Sikh Sujaan, Avar Naa Pahul Jo Lai." -- Rehitnama Bhai Desa Singh Jee).

Amrit is like the initiation into the faith, without which, one really cannot claim to be a Sikh. A Sikh must submit to Guru Sahib's hukam and give her/his head in exchange for Amrit. How can anyone claim the right to the title without paying the "price" for it?

To maximize the affects of Amrit, you should avoid eating from non-Amritdharis, including food from restaurants etc. See this article for more information on Bibek.

my my we do get very serious on all these subjects..... how wonderfull, amritdhari or not amritdhari what does it have to do with the roti u eat, i think u all people like to creat big hooo haaa over nothing. ur mother does not need to take amrit unless she truelly feels she can dedicate her self to it. so chill and apni ma di hath di roti khaaaa

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

hehehehehehheheheh The fact is if every person that called themselves a Sikh are Amritdhari Sikh like you are supposed to then everyone is within the same caste the "KHALSA". Now days people make different ranks of Sikhs like Narinder Singh said truelly and unintentionaly funny. As if GuruJi had higher or lower ranks.(Being a Granthi means you are just as even as anyone else but you do your paid work in the Gurdwara, instead of computer programming or being a store owner etc.) We modernly seem to allow the Granthis and commitees to think they are upper classed/ranked or something. We allow it though. The only authority we have is GuruJi. Whether it is Guru Granth, Guru Pyare or Guru Sangat is the only higher authority in Sikhi. Being the Panj Payre as on a personal level doesnt mean they are higher ranked.(The chosen Panj are representation of GuruJi through 5 souls not the actual person(s) are Guru but any group of 5 as Panj Pyare are to be a hukam of the Guru) Some think the 5 people after the duties of Pyare are higher classed. All the pyare are very pious and practicing Khalsas and we admire them and have hope in one day becoming a Pyare with the grace of the Guru. Any real/true Sikh has the attributes of the Panj Pyare. We all should have those attributes. We are called the company of the true saints but that only technically counts if the Sangat is all real Sikhs that practice. So now all the Sangats have hair cutters and drunks within the Gurdwara and some even as commitee members, and this adds up to kids following a bad example and so on and so forth, a domino effect. We shouldnt allow the same old routine by letting others be Sikhs for us. This all adds up to people being a lazy Sikh(which is impossible because you are either a Sikh or you are not) Sikhi isnt a religion it is a way of life. You can be a farmer that lives on the beach but you cant be an astronaut unless you have been trained to go space.

Over hundreds of years all this added up to people calling themselves Sikhs of the Guru, without actually being a disciple of the Guru(disciple/discipline) while allowing others to "be Sikh for them", aslong as the Gurdwara still functions.(some it doesnt even matter if it functions properly) When will people all be a Sikh even if they were the last one on the Earth?? (and not just by words but they live as a Khalsa)

Now a days they say there are 22 million Sikhs, when not even half (IMO) are really practicing Sikhs. I wonder how many actual Sikhs there are in the world??????? (Amritdhari)

You should only take food from Amritdharis but since she is your honorable mother then yes I dont see why not.(You are supposed to honor your parents) In anyother case I wouldnt take the food, Guru Nanak used to take food that was made with love but that was before Guru Gobind Singhs Amrit Chaar.

So then does teh philosopy of Guru Nanak become null and void? Are you suggesting Love is no or should no longer be a factor in who we should eat from?