People

Fateh everyone...

I started wearing a dastaar about a year ago. My work sometimes involves me travelling and working in different places in the UK.

How do you guys deal with people looking at you...I mean to say, when you get people staring at you and your dastaar/kesh? It amuses me, when I see one guy whisper to his partner to look over at me and they both look...but it's kinda offputting too and does get to me.

How do you deal with it?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fateh everyone...

I started wearing a dastaar about a year ago. My work sometimes involves me travelling and working in different places in the UK.

How do you guys deal with people looking at you...I mean to say, when you get people staring at you and your dastaar/kesh? It amuses me, when I see one guy whisper to his partner to look over at me and they both look...but it's kinda offputting too and does get to me.

How do you deal with it?

usually where ever i go i am the only visible sikh but i remember one thing is that where ever i am my guru will always be my side so really your not alone!

^ Bump.

Just smile at them, and if you are close enough say "Hello, there." It makes them look quite dumb. :D If that doesn't work, than have a staring contest. I love those, its' so funny. However, normally when I start looking at them, that's when they look away. I give them this "mean look, sort of like mess with me and get your caps pealed." :@ Now, that I would because Guru Ka Sikh would never attack first. :TH:

Hang in there buddy, stares or no stares SINGH WILL ALWAYS BE KING! <_< Lions always get stared at in the jungle as well, in Human form it Singhs!

post-6021-1162754353.jpg

post-6021-1162754380.jpg

its a bit off putting but u'll get used to it- i have, i get the train everyday so u meet new ppl everyday! Just smile and if they're close say hi etc. like Singh with Dunalli said...I dunno, not much u can do really...Some bloke come up to me and goes Sat Sri Akal lol I was a bi gobsmacked at first but u get to know a lot of people know stuff about us...there was this guy at the local market said he'd bin working in India for 4 years so he was speaking in Punjabi with me...u just gotta keep cool

yea jus say sup! jk

hi and hello works. if the person is far i jus give a BIG SMILE! LOL nd they smile back. and when i can guess what tthey must be thinking...thn i jus give the funny smile.

i usually get this from people though:"can i ask u something? how long is ur hair?"

and " ohmy.gif u have never cut ur hair? EVER?THEY MUST BE REAL LONg"

OR "are u a sikh? i nevr knew girls wore turban" (usually old gorey/kalley people who have a sikh doctor :D )

i have had werid experinces too but why look at the negative ones? tongue.gif

lol i just started working again as well

although i wear a patka they still stare, its reli obvious wen sumone jus stopped talking about u or was just looking at u

i try not to mind it, i jus ignore it

i wanna wear a dastar one day too

ppl usually stare n stuff cuz they dont kno y u wear it or wat it is

go wit kaur_khalistani_lioness's suggestion, that if their far, smile, but i think even if their close, smile, cuz then mayb that way they'll come upto u n talk

n then if they ask u can tell em y u wear a dastar n stuff rite?

i worked as a security gaurd all alone in a ladies clothing store(very popular store)...... my manager was racist(white) but the other manager(black) was totally nice and laid back....and so were most of the employees and when the racist manager wud see the other employees and other manager talking to me all the time, she started getting all nice with me too and realised im also a human too and im not from the taliban klan rolleyes.gif and felt lke crap that she ever treated me like shi* in the fisrt place. :@ then she started talking wayyyyy toooooooo much with me.....i didnt no what kind of conversations to have with former racist white ppl :D so i just tried to keep the HI/BYE thingyy and not get to close to her ...or else she might start another convo...trying to suk up to me tongue.gif .anyways she learned her lession.....i made over 2 grand working there and quit cuz i had to start night school ...and we all lived happily ever after... kick.gif

hehehehe!

^ Bump.

Just smile at them, and if you are close enough say "Hello, there." It makes them look quite dumb. :D If that doesn't work, than have a staring contest. I love those, its' so funny. However, normally when I start looking at them, that's when they look away. I give them this "mean look, sort of like mess with me and get your caps pealed." :@ Now, that I would because Guru Ka Sikh would never attack first. :TH:

Hang in there buddy, stares or no stares SINGH WILL ALWAYS BE KING! <_< Lions always get stared at in the jungle as well, in Human form it Singhs!

hahaha thats exactly what i do!

actually, even when people whisper racist stuff or derogatory i let it slide, but a couple weeks ago i kinda snapped. i was in the car with a couple of friends and these goreys in the car next to us were clearing saying <banned word filter activated> to me and at first i did the stare thing and they kept going. thats when i snapped lol. i got out of the car (we were sitting at a traffic light) walked up to the car and told them to get out of the car, walked over to theirs and started calling them out . . . of course they all got scared hahaha.

thats the thing, people will stare and even say stuff but when it comes down to it they dont have the balls to face you.

in terms of staring, i know most people dont do it out of racism and stuff, but just cuz they are curious so dont let that get to you.

snapping and staring ??? give your introduction instead,

formula of kaur_khalistani_lioness is good

people at far = start with a big smile

people near to you = an impressive friendly smile

hi, hellow for a start

if they ask about the keski to gal and for free flowing beard to guy u can tak it lik an opportunity to give your introduction, your innnerself = the gursikh (if u r) to them and make them as knows to sikhs as they will never ever have to ask about the same stuff in future.

u have a bounden duty to make whole the world good because u r "GURU KA SIKH"